PDA

View Full Version : Artillery role + damage to environment?

MawLr
07-10-2015, 05:10 AM
(Hello! First of all I'd like to introduce, I am new to this forums, I discovered WoR quite recently and I really got into it, it looks like an incredible game and I am looking forward to get it.)

Like Napoleon once said; "God is on the side with the best artillery". I think I can suppose artillery will be in the game, but what roles will it have? Support? Reserve? Maybe artillery officers should be able to move their cannons into strategic positions by having a carriage ready for use, which of course would be controlled by players, this will require quite a good amount of teamwork, but it'd be really nice.

Also, cannons should damage the ground when the ball hits, I'm not sure if this is a thing but it'd be amazing, also take down trees and damage buildings. Basically a destructible environment. :cool:

Rithal
07-10-2015, 06:59 AM
I believe it might have been said that buildings will not be destructible, however I guarantee the main role served by artillery is to support the infantry. Break up enemy lines and cut the morale of enemy troops. Attempt to deter them from attacking.

MawLr
07-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Ah, I messed up there, apologies.

But should artillery be able to be transported around into strategic positions? I mean, after a while either side will gain territory and eventually cannons might have to be moved to keep up the support, unless of course the enemy is within range.

[RG]Chewie
07-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Artillery was often used against buildings to drive out snipers so i would imagine destructible buildings would be essential....

MawLr
07-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Chewie;8377']Artillery was often used against buildings to drive out snipers so i would imagine destructible buildings would be essential....

True, also different types of ammunition? Maybe being able to load canister shots when enemy is on close range, while having shells and round shots available as well.

Bravescot
07-11-2015, 03:22 AM
I'd guess that cannon will be represented to the greatest historical accuracy that the devs can do, from range finding to ammunition times.

Josy_Wales
07-11-2015, 04:02 PM
I think the artillery ammunition used in the civil war was Shell, Shot (bolt), Grapeshot, Canister and Case (shrapnel), and as far as I know Antietam was one of the battles best known for having significant artillery engagements. So I bet they will allocate time for this when the time is right :)

MawLr
07-12-2015, 06:49 PM
Schenkl Shells as well, it will be hell on earth when artillery begins to fire and infantry marches through the fields.

Hinkel
07-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Artillery at Antietam was really bloody.. The cornfield was hell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5Nbm8RNd9c

Simon445
07-12-2015, 10:23 PM

Are you spoiling us how WoR battles will look like ? :p

MawLr
07-13-2015, 02:57 AM
Are you spoiling us how WoR battles will look like ? :p

That's going to be some intense fighting there, can't wait.

Historical Player
07-13-2015, 05:58 AM

Holy Crap! That is amazing! I hope War of Rights is like that!

88thNY_InFaMY
07-21-2015, 08:52 AM
After the cornfield battle the whole field was destroyed not even a single stalk of corn was left standing. So if anything I hope the corn stalks can be mowed down from rifles and arty.

Macca
07-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Artillery is something I am very interested to see in War of Rights so I'm gonna leave my opinion here.

I think artillery should be able to destroy buildings, after all, it's an easy way of killing a bunch of guys hiding in there. Buildings are good defensive positions so a front on attack with infantry is more than likely going to get many men killed as the defenders have the advantage. That however is when you bring in the artillery and completely destroy the house, killing all inside. Even firing one shot will probably cause them to retreat from the position.

Onto shells, the two most important to add would be round shot and canister. I know that there are other kinds of shells but them two are the most vital to have. Round shot for the long range and canister for when the enemy are getting close.

88thNY_InFaMY
07-21-2015, 03:07 PM
I believe I said this before most of the time they kept the houses intact since they used them for hospitals and the generals HQ now grant it yes they did fire into houses but very rarely did they need or want to.

Octavian360
07-21-2015, 04:21 PM
Artillery is something I am very interested to see in War of Rights so I'm gonna leave my opinion here.

I think artillery should be able to destroy buildings, after all, it's an easy way of killing a bunch of guys hiding in there. Buildings are good defensive positions so a front on attack with infantry is more than likely going to get many men killed as the defenders have the advantage. That however is when you bring in the artillery and completely destroy the house, killing all inside. Even firing one shot will probably cause them to retreat from the position.

Onto shells, the two most important to add would be round shot and canister. I know that there are other kinds of shells but them two are the most vital to have. Round shot for the long range and canister for when the enemy are getting close.

Although it would be awesome to destroy buildings in this game. From what I understand is that whenever a building is destroyed it takes up alot of data on someones computer. So lets say that if there was a city map like Fredericksburg it could crash alot of people in-game, bring their frame rate to an unbearable level and the end result is very unpleasant.

I could be very wrong about this but this is just from my understanding. Maybe it could be on a map by map basis?

88thNY_InFaMY
07-22-2015, 12:28 PM
Although it would be awesome to destroy buildings in this game. From what I understand is that whenever a building is destroyed it takes up alot of data on someones computer. So lets say that if there was a city map like Fredericksburg it could crash alot of people in-game, bring their frame rate to an unbearable level and the end result is very unpleasant.

I could be very wrong about this but this is just from my understanding. Maybe it could be on a map by map basis?

I could dig a map by map but again if environments are gonna be destructible then I would love something like the corn field to be destructible instead of like a house.

Legion
07-23-2015, 04:30 AM
maybe instead of destroying building the shot could just go through the wall and leave an impact mark or hole that way it wouldnt be to taxing on computers.

88thNY_InFaMY
07-23-2015, 03:30 PM
maybe instead of destroying building the shot could just go through the wall and leave an impact mark or hole that way it wouldnt be to taxing on computers.

That could work you often see in pictures most of the houses that where damaged are just riddled with holes instead of like NW where the house gets demolished.

Rithal
07-24-2015, 01:07 AM
Well I think a cannon ball into the side of a house would definitely take out a few walls rather than leave a hole the size of a cannon ball, but for Minié balls that could work.

Legion
07-24-2015, 04:26 AM
Well I think a cannon ball into the side of a house would definitely take out a few walls rather than leave a hole the size of a cannon ball, but for Minié balls that could work.

i guess it would depend on the ammo and what the structure is made out of. a cannonball wouldn't really take down a wall in most cases i think but it would do alot of damage and cause alot of splintering from the wall which would do more damage than the actual cannon round.

MawLr
07-24-2015, 06:17 AM
I honestly can't wait, I'm willing to lead a battery and give the Reb's hell, hah! And if they get to close, load a canister shot. :)

(Which makes me wonder, blood and gore, anyone?)

Soulfly
07-24-2015, 06:33 AM
(Which makes me wonder, blood and gore, anyone?)

As far as i can remember blood and gore effects are planned or at least taken into account

MawLr
07-24-2015, 07:28 AM
As far as i can remember blood and gore effects are planned or at least taken into account

Perfect, flying limbs and blood all over the field, this is going to be nice.

Hinkel
07-24-2015, 07:55 AM
Well, you can see artillery hits on the Dunker Church photos for example :)

http://www.wpclipart.com/American_History/civil_war/Antietam/Antietam_bodies_in_front_of_Dunker_Church.jpg

88thNY_InFaMY
07-24-2015, 02:22 PM
See just a bunch of giant holes not "Blown to all hell" Like in NW.

Hinkel
07-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Another pretty damaged building in Fredericksburg, after hours of bombartment.
You can see the holes of the artillery shells pretty well! :)

That building did not burn down.

https://npsfrsp.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/damaged-house-on-lower-caroline-street-12151.jpg

Rithal
07-24-2015, 10:34 PM
I guess I have been playing too much battlefield where whole buildings will collapse from a few tank shells. However, those were of course not wood buildings which probably react differently to impact than concrete buildings to. Especially with individual planks.

Historical Player
07-30-2015, 03:38 PM
I would love to see real life physics for cannonballs in War of Rights! A whole regiment is in a building and blow it up, and it comes crumbling down like the walls at Jericho, and the whole regiment dies!

Bravescot
08-01-2015, 09:42 PM
If you think about it the idea of destrutable buildings can be linked in with being killed by flying splinters and stuff from destructible environments ie fences

Ted
08-30-2015, 04:22 PM
I would love to see different kinds of artillery trains, limbers and caissons also: Horse Artillery, Foot Artillery, Ammunition-wagons and so on. Artillery was one of the main death-bringers during the ACW so I'ld be very glad to see it introduced in various kinds.

As we know there were mainly 3 different kinds of artillery-guns:
Guns (rifled guns as well as normal guns), howitzers and mortars.

I believe mortars won't be needed in the first release as they were mainly used during sieges;

At least I would like to see the 10lb Parrott, 3inch Ordnance Rifle and the M1857 12-Pounder "Napoleon" in-game. But it also would be great to have other guns like the 1841 Model Gun.
Howitzers should be used also; mainly the 24-pounder howitzers and the 12-pounder mountain Howitzer.

I hope you'll also introduce as many of the different types of ammunition as possible. :o

- Shot/Bolt (solid projectile without explosive charge); Could be used for all kinds of artillery
- Shell (=grenade); including a explosive charge and designed to burst; could be used for all kinds of artillery also
- Shrapnel; anti-personnel projectiles designed to burst in the air and spreading as many projectiles as possible
- Canister; cannon goes shotguns says it all, aye?
- Grapeshot; like a cannister, but a smaller number of larger projectiles

AwkwardPandabear
09-06-2015, 03:07 AM
To me I don't need entire building falling. And if the battle lasts for hours, it can't really be used any more until the end of the fight. But the main things that I would love to be able to get destroyed are the corn and smaller vegetation (including some bullet holes on trees, and the bullet holes could disappear after a long while) Bullet holes on buildings, and maybe rough craters or marks where artillery hit. Lastly one problem that might happen if the building can't be damaged, would be the fact that if a artillery piece shot at the building, what would happen. It would ruin the moment for a lot of people if the cannon balls and shells didn't do any damage at all. So maybe full scale destruction of building is not good in the long run. But at least having a big mark or hole where the artillery shot hit would help immerse people a lot more.