PDA

View Full Version : Voice Acting for Southerners

Mi'kmaq
07-14-2015, 10:48 AM
I was wondering if the voice acting (Battle cries, etc) for War of Rights will be regionally correct. I've seen too many games get the Southern accent all wrong and I personally would like a game that get's Southern voice actors. It would make it more realistic in my opinion.

Brother_Padre
07-14-2015, 01:09 PM
I was wondering if the voice acting (Battle cries, etc) for War of Rights will be regionally correct. I've seen too many games get the Southern accent all wrong and I personally would like a game that get's Southern voice actors. It would make it more realistic in my opinion.

That's not a bad idea, but don't stop with the South, the Northern states also had diverse accents. Maybe that could be something in the character creation or regiments of set states have set voices. It would also be interesting for regular regiments who aren't marked by a state to have that mix of accents.

Hinkel
07-14-2015, 02:47 PM
Voice acting is pretty important, to catch the actual atmoshphere.

The real problem is to find good voice actors. Professional voice actors are expensive, you have to rent a studio and so on. This is not possible for us.
So for the moment, we are getting in contact with semi-professional voice actors, who seek expierence. The problem is, that those actors need good equipment and they have to be aware of the correct way to pronounce all these combat orders for example.

So Voice acting is on our list, but not a high priority at the moment.

Historical Player
07-14-2015, 03:23 PM
Voice acting is pretty important, to catch the actual atmoshphere.

The real problem is to find good voice actors. Professional voice actors are expensive, you have to rent a studio and so on. This is not possible for us.
So for the moment, we are getting in contact with semi-professional voice actors, who seek expierence. The problem is, that those actors need good equipment and they have to be aware of the correct way to pronounce all these combat orders for example.

So Voice acting is on our list, but not a high priority at the moment.

Any possible chance the community could possibly be voice actors? :)

Hinkel
07-14-2015, 03:44 PM
Sure, the problem is the voice recording equipment. You need more then a simple mic .. otherwise the quality is shit!

It requires stuff like this, to get such a high quality result, we would like to use ingame.

http://static.bhphotovideo.com/explora/explora/sites/default/files/IMG_350378.jpg

Then, you might get a result like this ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZl52IS7I0

Josy_Wales
07-14-2015, 06:52 PM
The background music makes this really epic :)

Historical Player
07-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Sure, the problem is the voice recording equipment. You need more then a simple mic .. otherwise the quality is shit!

It requires stuff like this, to get such a high quality result, we would like to use ingame.

http://static.bhphotovideo.com/explora/explora/sites/default/files/IMG_350378.jpg

Then, you might get a result like this ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZl52IS7I0
Challenge Accepted.

88thNY_InFaMY
07-20-2015, 04:50 AM
I was born in NY and my whole family is from NY Conn Mass so it burns my ass when people can't do the right accents and can't say Rochester and shit like that where I am from originally so I to would like accents to be right.

Hinkel
07-20-2015, 01:03 PM
I was born in NY and my whole family is from NY Conn Mass so it burns my ass when people can't do the right accents and can't say Rochester and shit like that where I am from originally so I to would like accents to be right.

Well, NY had lot of immigrants from different nations, which might be living in the US since 1 generation or what ever. So I am pretty sure, there were lot of different accents and you can't say: This or that accent is correct :)

Macca
07-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Just wondering, the equipment Hinkel posted above, how much would that cost roughly?

Hinkel
07-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Just wondering, the equipment Hinkel posted above, how much would that cost roughly?

There is a good overview, of needed equipment :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/buying-guide/voice-over-equipment

At the end there is a list, with different stuff and links to shops.

Macca
07-20-2015, 04:16 PM
There is a good overview, of needed equipment :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/audio/buying-guide/voice-over-equipment

At the end there is a list, with different stuff and links to shops.

Interesting, I like how the site gives pros and cons of different microphones.

88thNY_InFaMY
07-21-2015, 08:46 AM
Well, NY had lot of immigrants from different nations, which might be living in the US since 1 generation or what ever. So I am pretty sure, there were lot of different accents and you can't say: This or that accent is correct :)

Trust me my friend from other states from up north the ones with the most accent is NY NJ Maine Conn and Mass(Boston especially.) So even if they where immigrants they will get the accent of those states.

Octavian360
07-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Trust me my friend from other states from up north the ones with the most accent is NY NJ Maine Conn and Mass(Boston especially.) So even if they where immigrants they will get the accent of those states.

Wisconsin has a few different accents as well.

88thNY_InFaMY
07-22-2015, 12:24 PM
So does Indiana since they all speak Hoosier.

Legion
07-24-2015, 04:37 AM
also i hope you get the rebel yell right the stuff you see in movies isn't to accurate. there's a video on youtube from the early 1900s of a few confederate soldiers doing the rebel yell, if you do add it to the game it should sound like that.

Historical Player
07-30-2015, 03:21 PM
I think I could do a good Virginia accent. I am from Virginia, lol! Voice acting will be very crucial tot his game, and I would love to see various battle cries as well.

Mi'kmaq
07-30-2015, 04:26 PM
Lololol im a bit young, but I can do a Northern and Southern Indiana accent (Useful for the many Southern sympathizers in Indiana that went South to join the Confederate army) and a Delta Arkansas accent. I am also learning Polish and Cajun French, so I might be of some use with the knowledge of those languages.

Historical Player
08-18-2015, 04:51 PM
I would still be happy to be a voice actor for a Virginian!

Hinkel
08-19-2015, 02:54 PM
I would still be happy to be a voice actor for a Virginian!

You once said.. "Challenge Accepted" .. so you bought that equipment and made some records? Otherwise we haven't recieved anything yet.. ;)

Historical Player
08-19-2015, 04:13 PM
You once said.. "Challenge Accepted" .. so you bought that equipment and made some records? Otherwise we haven't recieved anything yet.. ;)

Give me time, it takes a while to rob, I mean purchase stuff from the local computer store.

Mi'kmaq
08-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Give me time, it takes a while to rob, I mean purchase stuff from the local computer store.
Hey, hey, hey, hold up there, Tyrone.