PDA

View Full Version : All Things Tobacco

Mi'kmaq
07-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Ah, the lovliest of plants. Tobacco! Smoke it, dip it, or snort it. Tobacco is awesome.
What brands do y'all smoke, dip, etc?

I'm personally a huge fan of Swisher Sweets.

Rithal
07-30-2015, 08:35 AM
I have seen the nasty sides of tobacco :/ Not really a fan...

Legion
07-30-2015, 09:02 AM
i used to smoke marlboro red but i switched to camel because of the better taste. i dont smoke anymore and i would recommend quitting if you can, i don't mean to be a downer or anything just some warning.

Macca
07-30-2015, 09:32 AM
Amber Leaf or Golden Virginia tobacco are my choices if smoking roll-ups, Mayfair if smoking pre-rolled.

zimmer1lb
07-30-2015, 01:27 PM
Man, I used to smoke just about anything...camels, Marlboro, salem, Maryjane, those small cigarette sized cigars.... including Sweets. Quit in '76. (no not 1776 :p )

zimm out

Rithal
07-30-2015, 11:11 PM
i would recommend quitting if you can, i don't mean to be a downer or anything just some warning.

This ^^^^^^^^

Cancer caused by smoking has hit my family pretty hard recently, like I'm sure it has with others. I will never endorse the product and will take every opportunity to urge others to stray away from the nasty habit.

Simon445
07-30-2015, 11:18 PM
They will arrest you if you get caught commiting suicide, but smoking is basically killing yourself. Yep, life is weird.

Macca
07-31-2015, 02:35 AM
They will arrest you if you get caught commiting suicide, but smoking is basically killing yourself. Yep, life is weird.

Either way you look at it, humans are dying every day. Your body is slowly dying and you cannot help that.

TrustyJam
07-31-2015, 06:42 AM
Either way you look at it, humans are dying every day. Your body is slowly dying and you cannot help that.

What a joyful message!

- Trusty

Mi'kmaq
07-31-2015, 07:48 AM
What a joyful message!

- Trusty

Hehehehe, yeah, pretty....erm...morbid. lololololololol

In my opinion, tobacco is pretty harmless. It's the additives in tobacco products that you have to worry about.

Rithal
07-31-2015, 08:25 AM
Hehehehe, yeah, pretty....erm...morbid. lololololololol

In my opinion, tobacco is pretty harmless. It's the additives in tobacco products that you have to worry about.

Well, inhaling any foreign substance into your lungs definitely does harm. Chewing tobacco isn't as bad, but the additives can lead to a number of different cancers starting from mouth cancer, all the way to stomach cancer.

The best way to stay healthy while smoking is to eat a completely balanced diet low in fat and sugars, and to attempt to use completely natural products. Even then you are still at risk. Unfortunately most people who smoke, smoke products produced by large corporations. These corporations use multiple pesticides and fertilizers during the growing process that coat the tobacco and can act as carcinogens when burned and inhaled. They also use modern practices to take the drying process of tobacco down from three months to six days introducing even more carcinogens to the mix. Finally, they use all kinds of additives to enhance the flavor and taste of cigarettes.

It is a fact that about 1 in 3 smokers will die from smoking related illnesses. 87% of all lung cancer deaths are attributed directly to smoking. I have seen the habit take decades off of people's lives. Why do it when you don't have to.

In direct response, its pretty hard to get tobacco without the additives.

Mi'kmaq
07-31-2015, 08:33 AM
Well, inhaling any foreign substance into your lungs definitely does harm. Chewing tobacco isn't as bad, but the additives can lead to a number of different cancers starting from mouth cancer, all the way to stomach cancer.

The best way to stay healthy while smoking is to eat a completely balanced diet low in fat and sugars, and to attempt to use completely natural products. Even then you are still at risk. Unfortunately most people who smoke, smoke products produced by large corporations. These corporations use multiple pesticides and fertilizers during the growing process that coat the tobacco and can act as carcinogens when burned and inhaled. They also use modern practices to take the drying process of tobacco down from three months to six days introducing even more carcinogens to the mix. Finally, they use all kinds of additives to enhance the flavor and taste of cigarettes.

It is a fact that about 1 in 3 smokers will die from smoking related illnesses. 87% of all lung cancer deaths are attributed directly to smoking. I have seen the habit take decades off of people's lives. Why do it when you don't have to.

In direct response, its pretty hard to get tobacco without the additives.

Chewing tobacco is less harmful, I agree. I just started using pipe tobacco and rolling my own cigarettes using a machine. I have no clue if it's healthier. I do smoke cigars and cigarillos as well and they are known to be healthier for you.

I have this weird thing where I don't get addicted to thing everyone else get's addicted to. I dip, smoke, drink and can just stop. I do it because I enjoy doing it. I like the taste, the smoke, texture, etc. I do try to stay to more natural things like dip, cigars, cigarillos, and cigarettes that I roll myself.

Rithal
07-31-2015, 08:46 AM
Chewing tobacco is less harmful, I agree. I just started using pipe tobacco and rolling my own cigarettes using a machine. I have no clue if it's healthier. I do smoke cigars and cigarillos as well and they are known to be healthier for you.

I have this weird thing where I don't get addicted to thing everyone else get's addicted to. I dip, smoke, drink and can just stop. I do it because I enjoy doing it. I like the taste, the smoke, texture, etc. I do try to stay to more natural things like dip, cigars, cigarillos, and cigarettes that I roll myself.

Well you should check and see where your tobacco comes from. You should also keep a healthy diet. A diet that has to much fat and sugar in it will lead to a decrease in the health of your lungs, which studies show can lead to an increased chance of lung cancer, which when metastasized can spread all over the body including the brain. Once it reaches that point, you are pretty much done for, especially in the case of small-cell cancer.

Mi'kmaq
07-31-2015, 08:49 AM
Well you should check and see where your tobacco comes from. You should also keep a healthy diet. A diet that has to much fat and sugar in it will lead to a decrease in the health of your lungs, which studies show can lead to an increased chance of lung cancer, which when metastasized can spread all over the body including the brain. Once it reaches that point, you are pretty much done for, especially in the case of small-cell cancer.
It's Carter Hill tobacco made by a family that's I'm pretty sure is kin to me.

Hinkel
07-31-2015, 08:52 AM
they are known to be healthier for you.

Smoking is never healthier in any form.. ;)

Simon445
07-31-2015, 12:48 PM

Yes, but with smoking you speed up this process, and 1 pack can shorten you for 1 year. So there is no difference if I start poisining myself but police would probably arrest me.

zimmer1lb
07-31-2015, 02:22 PM
Hey Sarge, Chewing tobacco isn't as bad look up some pictures of ppl who have chewed, uuuugly.

Hey Mi'kmaq....I worked with an old boy who told me "you ain't a real cowboy unless you can roll a cigarette on a bucking horse in a hundred mile an hour wind". I never was addicted either....when I quit it was totally cold turkey. I am addicted to my puter though.:o

zimm out

Mi'kmaq
07-31-2015, 05:52 PM
Hey Sarge, Chewing tobacco isn't as bad look up some pictures of ppl who have chewed, uuuugly.

Hey Mi'kmaq....I worked with an old boy who told me "you ain't a real cowboy unless you can roll a cigarette on a bucking horse in a hundred mile an hour wind". I never was addicted either....when I quit it was totally cold turkey. I am addicted to my puter though.:o

zimm out
I always enjoy your posts lol. I was raised around Western stories, stories about the railroad, the War, etc. My grandpa has been smoking since he was 7 and he's in his 70s.

Rithal
07-31-2015, 06:09 PM

zimm out

I'm very familiar with the habit. XD My father has chewed Skoal and Copenhagen long cut for as long as I can remember. Yes, you are correct, it is not pretty, however it does not produce nearly the risk that comes with smoking. Most of the cancers that could occur are usually non-lethal, and there is less health risk overall. I still wouldn't touch the stuff though.

zimmer1lb
08-01-2015, 10:31 PM
I worked with 2 brothers name of Ray and George, on different ranches though. For cleanliness they were worlds apart. The only way George would get wet was if he was caught in the rain. I had to ride to the fields with him a couple of times and man-o-man. Being inside that pickup was nearly a death gagging event. No one wanted to ride with him and no other person would drive that pickup. The inside was virtually coated with tobacco spittle, especially the driver's door.....inside and out. And being inside the cab in the heat with old stinky........blah. He was quite a character though but naaasty. I shiver just thinking about it.

zimm out

Mi'kmaq
08-01-2015, 10:52 PM
I worked with 2 brothers name of Ray and George, on different ranches though. For cleanliness they were worlds apart. The only way George would get wet was if he was caught in the rain. I had to ride to the fields with him a couple of times and man-o-man. Being inside that pickup was nearly a death gagging event. No one wanted to ride with him and no other person would drive that pickup. The inside was virtually coated with tobacco spittle, especially the driver's door.....inside and out. And being inside the cab in the heat with old stinky........blah. He was quite a character though but naaasty. I shiver just thinking about it.

zimm out
Not gonna go into much detail about this individual, but let's just leave it at he's a cousin. Well, we were driving to go pickup a load from the hardware store and I look at the dash, cup holders, etc and it's filthy. Coated in some goo, dip cans, and some other substance.

Macca
08-12-2015, 03:46 AM
What a joyful message!

- Trusty

What can I say eh? I'm a joyful person. ;)

Devmc99
08-13-2015, 06:26 PM
Tobacco has always kinda grossed me out. Never found it appealing. The only thing I ever smoke is vape once in a while. I don't understand why people smoke things that can give you cancer like cigarettes over it. Mi'kmaw, if you never have tried vape, you should. It's flavored water vapor with a small amount of nicotine. Dragonfruit flavor is the best :D

Rithal
08-13-2015, 10:03 PM
Tobacco has always kinda grossed me out. Never found it appealing. The only thing I ever smoke is vape once in a while. I don't understand why people smoke things that can give you cancer like cigarettes over it. Mi'kmaw, if you never have tried vape, you should. It's flavored water vapor with a small amount of nicotine. Dragonfruit flavor is the best :D

Well in the case of most older people who started smoking in the 30s, 40s and 50s, they didn't know how bad it actually was for you. I mean, it was a very a common thing back then. I would argue more people smoked than people who didn't. It was even said that they were good for your teeth and would whiten them! It wasn't until the 60s or so that a considerable portion of doctors recognized the case against cigarettes. Anyone who started smoking after that just... just doesn't care about their own health, which I find very unfortunate :/

Mi'kmaq
08-13-2015, 11:00 PM
Well in the case of most older people who started smoking in the 30s, 40s and 50s, they didn't know how bad it actually was for you. I mean, it was a very a common thing back then. I would argue more people smoked than people who didn't. It was even said that they were good for your teeth and would whiten them! It wasn't until the 60s or so that a considerable portion of doctors recognized the case against cigarettes. Anyone who started smoking after that just... just doesn't care about their own health, which I find very unfortunate :/
Back then, cigs didn't have all these additives. I'm sure they may have had some, but it sure as hell wasn't battery acid. My grandmother said that cigarettes really started changing around the 70's, or at least she noticed a change.

Simon445
08-14-2015, 12:02 AM

You should go on weird side of internet and watch some old smoking ads from like 50s.

Devmc99
08-14-2015, 04:42 AM
The sad thing is now a days everyone knows the harm cigs can cause, but young people still continue to start smoking. They don't even do anything for you. It's meant to calm you down, but it dosen't even acomplish that. Don't see why people think it helps you in anway :p

Mi'kmaq
08-14-2015, 05:01 AM
The sad thing is now a days everyone knows the harm cigs can cause, but young people still continue to start smoking. They don't even do anything for you. It's meant to calm you down, but it dosen't even acomplish that. Don't see why people think it helps you in anway :p
It's a fascination and the experience for me. I enjoy smoking. The taste is very satisfying. It also holds cultural and historical significance to me. Folks have been smoking for hundreds of years.

Devmc99
08-14-2015, 07:26 PM
I was solely talking about cigarettes, not tobacco.

Mi'kmaq
08-14-2015, 08:28 PM
I was solely talking about cigarettes, not tobacco.
Well, cigarettes too. Cigs had an absolutely huge impact on cultures around the world.

Simon445
08-14-2015, 11:32 PM
It's a fascination and the experience for me. I enjoy smoking. The taste is very satisfying. It also holds cultural and historical significance to me. Folks have been smoking for hundreds of years.

Your lungs don't :P

Devmc99
08-15-2015, 02:19 AM
The smell really grosses me out. I work with this guy who is almost always smoking a cig on his breaks. The guy literally smells like a marlboro factory. :eek:

Rithal
08-15-2015, 05:19 AM
The smell really grosses me out. I work with this guy who is almost always smoking a cig on his breaks. The guy literally smells like a marlboro factory. :eek:

Well for me the smell is somewhat comforting. I had two grandparents who smoked a lot when I was a kid, so now when I smell the smoke it kinda takes me back a little bit. :P

Mi'kmaq
08-15-2015, 08:49 AM
Well for me the smell is somewhat comforting. I had two grandparents who smoked a lot when I was a kid, so now when I smell the smoke it kinda takes me back a little bit. :P Same with me. Theres a reason I almost always smoke Swisher Sweets. My dad smoked them and so did my grandpa.

Macca
08-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Let's all calm down and light a cigarette.

Devmc99
08-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Well for me the smell is somewhat comforting. I had two grandparents who smoked a lot when I was a kid, so now when I smell the smoke it kinda takes me back a little bit. :P

Nah m8, smells like cancer and lost dreams.

Rithal
08-16-2015, 06:35 AM
Nah m8, smells like cancer and lost dreams.

Well yeah. My grandfather passed away about three weeks ago from cancer caused by smoking, so definitely. But, that doesn't change that the smell reminds me of being over at his house for football games and such when I was little. Its a good feeling.

Devmc99
08-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Ya, that's understandable. I lost my grandmother a few years ago from lung cancer caused by smoking too. So in a way, that thought me to stay away from cigs.

Macca
08-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Ya, that's understandable. I lost my grandmother a few years ago from lung cancer caused by smoking too. So in a way, that thought me to stay away from cigs.

I lost my grand mother due to cancer caused my smoking too, however, smoking is not something that you can wake up one morning and say "that's it I'm done". People get addicted to the nicotine and the body craves it if you do not have a cigarette every so often. It's the nicotine addiction which stops people from quitting. People who don't smoke always go "oh, why haven't you quit yet" expecting it to be easy to stop something so addicting.

Losing my grand mother was a huge blow to me, spent a lot of time with her as a child. It was in fact after I went to see her one day she died later on that same day. Anyway. Smoking is addictive. That's my message. Agree with me or disagree with me.

Simon445
08-16-2015, 05:51 PM
Smoking is like virus in your body, when you reach the limit it attacks and screws with you *Lung cancer*

Devmc99
08-16-2015, 07:13 PM
I lost my grand mother due to cancer caused my smoking too, however, smoking is not something that you can wake up one morning and say "that's it I'm done". People get addicted to the nicotine and the body craves it if you do not have a cigarette every so often. It's the nicotine addiction which stops people from quitting. People who don't smoke always go "oh, why haven't you quit yet" expecting it to be easy to stop something so addicting.

Losing my grand mother was a huge blow to me, spent a lot of time with her as a child. It was in fact after I went to see her one day she died later on that same day. Anyway. Smoking is addictive. That's my message. Agree with me or disagree with me.

Ya, I defiantly do agree with you. My grandmother was addicted and for most of her life she could never put a cig down. Cigs have a ton of chemicals in them that get you addicted. Thats why I don't want to touch one. I have friends who told me after the first time they tried a cig, they immediately got addicted. Big no-go for me. Most of them have to quit with vape.

Mi'kmaq
08-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Ya, I defiantly do agree with you. My grandmother was addicted and for most of her life she could never put a cig down. Cigs have a ton of chemicals in them that get you addicted. Thats why I don't want to touch one. I have friends who told me after the first time they tried a cig, they immediately got addicted. Big no-go for me. Most of them have to quit with vape.
Personally, I believe the first time addiction thing is horseshit. Over the last month when I really started smoking heavily, I've smoked maybe 20-30 packs. I just quit cold turkey and I have never had cravings nor other symptoms. It may depend on the person, but idk.

Devmc99
08-16-2015, 08:41 PM
Well, I personally don't know what it's like to be be "addicted" to a cig. But he said he had a bad craving for one after his first time.

Mi'kmaq
08-16-2015, 09:33 PM
Well, I personally don't know what it's like to be be "addicted" to a cig. But he said he had a bad craving for one after his first time.
I've heard that story a lot. Idk if it's true. Probably, but I've read several articles by doctors stating that there are a large amount of smokers that don't really get cravings. They don't get addicted and smoke in social environments. I personally smoke for the hell of it. It's fun, I enjoy it, and most importantly I have the freedom to do as I please.

Rithal
08-17-2015, 12:20 AM
I have seen people I care about smoke multiple packs a day. My grandmother smoked three cigarettes outside the funeral home at my grandfather's visitation several weeks ago. Think about it. He died due to smoking, and she is literally smoking at the man's funeral. She has tried to quit about a dozen times now, but to no avail. My dad also used to smoke long before I was born but has since switched to chewing tobacco since its a little less invasive. He has also tried to quit multiple times. He has tried the gum, the patches, the pills, and just quitting altogether. The longest he has gone is about a year and a half but he picked it back up again after his dad died. That goes to show firsthand how addicting tobacco products can be. If you aren't addicted Mi'kmaq, then you are one of the lucky few.

Mi'kmaq
08-17-2015, 12:41 AM
I have seen people I care about smoke multiple packs a day. My grandmother smoked three cigarettes outside the funeral home at my grandfather's visitation several weeks ago. Think about it. He died due to smoking, and she is literally smoking at the man's funeral. She has tried to quit about a dozen times now, but to no avail. My dad also used to smoke long before I was born but has since switched to chewing tobacco since its a little less invasive. He has also tried to quit multiple times. He has tried the gum, the patches, the pills, and just quitting altogether. The longest he has gone is about a year and a half but he picked it back up again after his dad died. That goes to show firsthand how addicting tobacco products can be. If you aren't addicted Mi'kmaq, then you are one of the lucky few.
I'm sorry for your loss. My family has gone through similar things. Relatives dying from smoking is fairly common in my family, it's horrid. It's hard to explain why I picked up smoking. Fascination, curiosity, etc is probably the best bet. I also have an appreciation for tobacco. Doesn't change the fact that companies put cancer causing additives in their tobacco. I am considering stopping. I've had my share of smoking, it's enjoyable, but I really want to live to raise a family.

Devmc99
08-17-2015, 04:41 AM
Again, if you can, buy a vape pen and dragonfruit flavor. Will eventually help you quit. That's how my friends did it.

Pvt.Scott
08-20-2015, 09:54 PM
smoking is bad so I wouldn't recommend it because its cancer in a tube.

zimmer1lb
08-27-2015, 06:03 PM
I remember when my dad quit smoking. It was after he had the flu for a week......he lit up a cig and choked, coughed and sputtered......time to quit, so he did. I think the addiction varies by the individual. Don't ask me how or why, just is. Like some folks can't drink milk or take a penicillin shot or eat peanuts. My one friend went to enlist in the Marines and they got really pi**ed cause he was allergic to peanuts. One peanut could be fatal to him and at the time the military was using peanut oil as part of the MREs.

Go figure.

zimm out