PDA

View Full Version : "Field of Shoes"

zimmer1lb
07-30-2015, 01:31 PM
Did you see this on Netflix?? Watched it some time ago. Much better than I thought it would be. Nothing like what was seen in "Horse Soldiers". LOL

zimm out

TrustyJam
07-30-2015, 02:03 PM
I found it really bad. Only good parts were the ones with the general & staff.

- Trusty

Simon445
07-30-2015, 03:38 PM
I kinda liked the movie, not too bad. But I find "Glory" better.

Mi'kmaq
07-30-2015, 04:06 PM
I loved it. One of my favourite Civil War movies.

Historical Player
07-30-2015, 07:31 PM
It was decent. Only certain parts of the movie were somewhat interesting, but the battle scenes sucked.

Bravescot
08-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Gods and Generals has a solid place in my heart.

Rithal
08-01-2015, 10:09 PM
I would say the movie falls under the category of "cute" and "charming". It was a nice story but wasn't really for the hardcore Civil War buffs. I do find the story it was based on very interesting. They definitely could have done better with the battle scenes, although I think they were trying to appeal more to families with kids than to history fanatics like us :P

Mi'kmaq
08-01-2015, 11:10 PM
I found it to be a more emotional movie. I enjoyed it better than Gods and Generals, but then again hehehehehe, I had never watched Gods and Generals all the way through, sadly. Will watch it all this week to really give a balanced take on both movies. Both are great movies, but Field of Lost Shoes hit home for some reason.

TrustyJam
08-01-2015, 11:15 PM
Be sure to get the extended 4.5 hour version. :) I prefer it to Gettysburg. Stephen Lang and Robert Duvall are great in it as well as the costumes really are a step up although they state that Antietam was fought the 19th. :P

- Trusty

Mi'kmaq
08-01-2015, 11:21 PM
Be sure to get the extended 4.5 hour version. :) I prefer it to Gettysburg. Stephen Lang and Robert Duvall are great in it as well as the costumes really are a step up although they state that Antietam was fought the 19th. :P

- Trusty
Will watch all of them :3 I'm currently down in Alabama working on the farm, but I'll have a good amount of time when I go home to watch movies.

TrustyJam
08-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Will watch all of them :3 I'm currently down in Alabama working on the farm, but I'll have a good amount of time when I go home to watch movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRnNXboxHPE

- Trusty

Mi'kmaq
08-01-2015, 11:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRnNXboxHPE

- Trusty

I thought of that too xD. My grandad was tellin me stories about how he remember his dad burning mounds of Confederate money.

Rithal
08-02-2015, 12:44 AM
I thought of that too xD. My grandad was tellin me stories about how he remember his dad burning mounds of Confederate money.

My grandfather was born in the mid 30s in Georgia. He could remember going into his grandparent's attic as a kid and playing with Confederate money, uniforms, and a few bayonets that he and his siblings had found in a chest up there. Isn't that a kick XD.

Mi'kmaq
08-02-2015, 01:29 AM
My grandfather was born in the mid 30s in Georgia. He could remember going into his grandparent's attic as a kid and playing with Confederate money, uniforms, and a few bayonets that he and his siblings had found in a chest up there. Isn't that a kick XD.
Since we're sharing Civil War related stories. My great grandpa was a klansman. Don't know much more other than that, sadly. My 4th great grandad was captured, released, and then joined up again to fight against the Union. This was written down in a German bible up in Missouri. Kin may still have his drum and fife. A cousin was a Union general. He founded El Paso and my family still has some of his stuff.

Historical Player
08-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Since we're sharing Civil War related stories. My great grandpa was a klansman. Don't know much more other than that, sadly. My 4th great grandad was captured, released, and then joined up again to fight against the Union. This was written down in a German bible up in Missouri. Kin may still have his drum and fife. A cousin was a Union general. He founded El Paso and my family still has some of his stuff.

That's really cool! I had many ancestors in the Civil War, but we don't have any of their stuff. I did get to play with my Great Grandad's World War 2 Japanese Samurai Sword he was issued when the Japs surrendered.

Rithal
08-02-2015, 10:38 PM
My grandfather on the other side had a quilt that was hand-made by his grandmother in the very very early 1900s. She was either full blooded, or 50% Cherokee. She told him to go out and find tobacco pouches. She didn't tell him why or anything, but just told him to do it. So after finding a few dozen for her, she began putting the quilt together with dye made from berries and such from the surrounding woods. He went off to the military, and when he returned, it was gone. (We think one of the in-laws stole it back in the 30s XD)

zimmer1lb
08-03-2015, 03:39 AM
My grandfather on the other side had a quilt that was hand-made by his grandmother in the very very early 1900s. She was either full blooded, or 50% Cherokee. She told him to go out and find tobacco pouches. She didn't tell him why or anything, but just told him to do it. So after finding a few dozen for her, she began putting the quilt together with dye made from berries and such from the surrounding woods. He went off to the military, and when he returned, it was gone. (We think one of the in-laws stole it back in the 30s XD)

Ahhh.....that is just plain wrong to take something like that.

zimm out

Rithal
08-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Ahhh.....that is just plain wrong to take something like that.

zimm out

Definitely. She made it just for him! Our family still has no clue where it is. The bad part is, if we asked one of the grandchildren of the person who we think stole it, they probably wouldn't tell us the truth.... (Talk about White-Trash) XDD

zimmer1lb
08-04-2015, 02:06 AM
Definitely. She made it just for him! Our family still has no clue where it is. The bad part is, if we asked one of the grandchildren of the person who we think stole it, they probably wouldn't tell us the truth.... (Talk about White-Trash) XDD

My grandmother had made me a quilt and saved it for years for me to come visit. That quilt had a small Confederate flag sewn into it. I used it for years until it started getting thread bare, then gave it to my sister and she hung it on her living room wall.

zimm out

Rithal
08-04-2015, 07:45 AM
My grandmother had made me a quilt and saved it for years for me to come visit. That quilt had a small Confederate flag sewn into it. I used it for years until it started getting thread bare, then gave it to my sister and she hung it on her living room wall.

zimm out

Thats really cool. What was up with the confederate flag on it though? Was she from Colorado? Or some place else?

zimmer1lb
08-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Thats really cool. What was up with the confederate flag on it though? Was she from Colorado? Or some place else?

She was from Mississippi and died in Epps, La. About an hours drive W of Vicksburg. My great grandfather was Irish and great grandmother was Cherokee. Grandma never left those states except for the one trip she and grandpa took with our Uncle to Nebraska. She couldn't get over how long it took to get there. Oh, and she never believed ppl walked on the moon "can't get there, no way". But she believed the soap operas were real and being shown from those peoples' homes. lol She never learned how to drive either.

zimm out

Rithal
08-05-2015, 01:10 AM
She was from Mississippi and died in Epps, La. About an hours drive W of Vicksburg. My great grandfather was Irish and great grandmother was Cherokee. Grandma never left those states except for the one trip she and grandpa took with our Uncle to Nebraska. She couldn't get over how long it took to get there. Oh, and she never believed ppl walked on the moon "can't get there, no way". But she believed the soap operas were real and being shown from those peoples' homes. lol She never learned how to drive either.

zimm out

Yeah XD I had a great grandfather who was born in like, 1898 and he didn't believe we walked on the moon either. He also thought something similar about TV shows. Like, with war movies, he thought that the actors in the movies were actually getting killed XD. I never met him, but there are lots of stories about him floating around the family :D

Mi'kmaq
08-05-2015, 01:20 AM
Yeah XD I had a great grandfather who was born in like, 1898 and he didn't believe we walked on the moon either. He also thought something similar about TV shows. Like, with war movies, he thought that the actors in the movies were actually getting killed XD. I never met him, but there are lots of stories about him floating around the family :D
My great great grandma thought cameras were the work of Satan. She died in the 1980s. Never got to meet her, sadly.

zimmer1lb
08-06-2015, 02:50 PM
My great great grandma thought cameras were the work of Satan. She died in the 1980s. Never got to meet her, sadly.

My dad took us kids to a funeral near Hattiesburg, Mississippi when I was about 8 yrs old. It was out in the country in an old house. Typical old house, never been painted. And Great Uncle Conn was in his casket in the living room. I'd never seen him before, nor all the relatives that were there. Uncle Conn had solid white hair and a nicely trimmed mustache that went near the bottom of his jaw. Being the curious kid (and taking a dare) I reached up and toughed his cold.....hard....cheek...000000. We stayed an extra day and that was when I learned we had an uncle who was our age......????.....go figure. They had all kinds of animals, of course, and that was the first time I sat a horse. woohoo. Funny the things you remember.

zimm out

Historical Player
08-06-2015, 04:16 PM

I still think they are.

Mi'kmaq
08-09-2015, 10:05 AM
I still think they are.

2p00ky4me :0

Bravescot
08-09-2015, 04:43 PM
I still think they are.

They take your sole away from you!

Historical Player
08-09-2015, 07:59 PM
They take your sole away from you!

Yes, and they make me look like some hideous creature!

Bravescot
08-10-2015, 01:18 AM
Yes, and they make me look like some hideous creature!

Actually I get quite lucky. I look like me but with bright red eyes as the sole of our lord and savor Satan fills my body!