PDA

View Full Version : Forum Suggestion(s)

Gokiller
03-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Hey there!

Just looking over the forum, everything is new it seems (obviously) so I will just list some suggestions for the forum here, which might be usefull or absolutly pointless.

Old
- Remove the feature that allows you to see what other people are actually doing on the forum right now. "Like viewing this page etc". It could be just me obviously, but to me it sounds quite akward when someone is watching you the entire day, and sees everything you do on the forum. (Example).

Gokiller

New suggestions (Starting from 12-11-2015)

1. (Gokiller)
Change at least the background colour of the stickied threads so you can properly see what is stickied and what not.
I think it would be quite handy. Especially for the new users you lads will receive in the time to come to they can easily recognise the important threads without overlooking them.

2. (Leifr)
Split the Companies forum into 'Union' and 'Confederate'.

3. (Gokiller
Replace the Icons before the thread names. As there are now these envelops/mail icons.
Like give people the option to either have an Confederate Icon when it's an Confederate company and a Union Icon when they have a Federal regiment for their thread. -> Relating to the Company board('s).

Obviously you could then as well add various others to be used anywhere on the forum.

Personally I would think that it would definitely at least make it look sweeter and more fitting to the over all ACW theme.

4. (Bravescot)
Remove the rating system for the threads.

5. (Siwi)
Resizable images.

SgtPepper
03-14-2013, 10:51 PM
nah why :D its not like your showing your credit card number or anything :D

Fancy Sweetroll
03-14-2013, 11:16 PM
I agree with Gokiller and the functionality has now been disabled.

Wolfy
03-17-2013, 06:19 PM
I have a few suggestions.Bigger avatars for a start :P Maybe the system FSE forum use so not matter what size the image is it will down size to the larrgest size it can.And maybe there should be no img restrictions when making a thread :P Well i say no restritions larger then.

TrustyJam
03-18-2013, 12:07 AM
I have a few suggestions.Bigger avatars for a start :P Maybe the system FSE forum use so not matter what size the image is it will down size to the larrgest size it can.And maybe there should be no img restrictions when making a thread :P Well i say no restritions larger then.

You'll be able to create a forum avatar up to the size of 120x120 now. :)

- Trusty

William
03-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Trusty ist it possible that i insert graphics in my signature

Fancy Sweetroll
03-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Trusty ist it possible that i insert graphics in my signature

Try it now :)

William
03-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks for that

Gokiller
11-12-2015, 12:11 AM
First of all, it's been a while since I looked around here. (That post count :rolleyes:) And damn it's been a while. I'll try to stick around longer this time. :o

Point being, I still got some forum suggestions. As I was just checking around I noticed that the stickied threads are quite hard to recognise. I believe there is a light colour difference compared to the rest of the threads and there is the "Sticky" part in front of it but that's it.

As suggestion: Perhaps an idea to change at least the background colour of a stickied thread so you can properly see what is stickied and what not?
I think it would be quite handy. Especially for the new users you lads will receive in the time to come to they can easily recognise the important threads without overlooking them.

Though that's just my opinion. If something else comes in mind. I'll be sure to mention it here!

PS - Hinkel allowed me to necro this 2 year piece of history. :o

Leifr
11-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Would it be possible to split the Companies forum into 'Union' and 'Confederate'. It's turning quite busy in there...

Gokiller
11-12-2015, 10:44 AM
^ Good one.

Another one:

Replace the Icons before the thread names. As there are now these envelops/mail icons.
Like give people the option to either have an Confederate Icon when it's an Confederate company and a Union Icon when they have a Federal regiment for their thread. -> Relating to the Company board('s).

Obviously you could then as well add various others to be used anywhere on the forum.
I would think that it would definitely at least make it look sweeter and more fitting to the over all ACW theme.

PS: Updated the OP so the suggestions are easier to oversee from the moderators perspective.

Bravescot
11-12-2015, 10:58 AM
Would it be possible to split the Companies forum into 'Union' and 'Confederate'. It's turning quite busy in there...

^ Probably a good idea to get done asap to help clear clutter

A. P. Hill
11-12-2015, 01:19 PM

^ Probably a good idea to get done asap to help clear clutter

I would prefer to have those forums subdivided into states, it may lessen multiple selections.

Gokiller
11-12-2015, 01:21 PM
That would result in an insane amount of sub-boards while quite a few most likely won't be used anyway.

I was searching for the forum rules, does anyone have a link for me by any chance?

A. P. Hill
11-12-2015, 01:28 PM
That would result in an insane amount of sub-boards while quite a few most likely won't be used anyway. ...

Maybe, but these are not your forums. Having also administered a similar forum, adding them is not all that difficult, used or not.

What it will do is help players creating companies.

Gokiller
11-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Never implied that this is my forum. I voiced my opinion against your suggestion which should be perfectly fine.

Sure, it isn't difficult to add new boards. But I don't see how it would help people to create new companies?
In fact it would only bring less attention to some company threads. Resulting in less people will know of a certain company's existences. As people will never read various boards because they have no reason to.

When having "gathered boards" like the CSA and Union the focus of the reader will be on that specific board and at the same time the user will most likely check out various threads on the same board it benefiting all the companies on that board as they gain awareness.

Not to forget, that administrating is in fact, easier to do when you have only one or two boards to keep track on instead of +20.

Bravescot
11-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Gokiller you'll find A.P.Hill sometimes struggles to reply in a polite manner to a civil conversation or debate. It's the Scottish in him I think ;)

Gokiller
11-12-2015, 02:03 PM
I've argued with worse. :p

Bravescot
11-12-2015, 02:06 PM
I've argued with worse. :p

*Has FSE flash back* Oh I know....I know

Rithal
11-12-2015, 03:25 PM
Gokiller you'll find A.P.Hill sometimes struggles to reply in a polite manner to a civil conversation or debate. It's the Scottish in him I think ;)

Unnecessary again :p Relax. There is no reason for anyone to be calling anyone else out. ;)

Gokiller
11-12-2015, 05:56 PM
So, does anyone have a link to the rules?

Also, if an administrator has seen the current suggestions, would be nice to hear if they are either being taken into consideration or if you guys can't do anything with them. :)

Bravescot
11-13-2015, 11:50 PM
Maybe remove the rating system for the threads.

TrustyJam
11-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Stick to either discussing the posted suggestions or post some new ones yourselves. Next personal attack in this thread shall recieve a temporarily or permanent ban.

Did some cleaning of the derailing posts.

- Trusty

Bravescot
11-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Maybe remove the rating system for the threads.

This probably needs to happen soon as going onto the company thread is now just awash with 1 start ratings and such

Rithal
11-16-2015, 03:15 AM
This probably needs to happen soon as going onto the company thread is now just awash with 1 start ratings and such

I imagine one person, who thought it would be funny, went through and gave each company thread a 1-star rating besides his own and those that he has friends in... ;)

A. P. Hill
11-16-2015, 03:21 AM
I don't pay any attention to thread rating. :p

It's over rated ... no pun intended.

Bravescot
11-16-2015, 07:56 AM
I don't pay any attention to thread rating. :p

It's over rated ... no pun intended.

Heyoooooo! *da dum tss*

Gokiller
11-16-2015, 08:54 AM
Yeah the thread rating system seems rather silly and a easy way to take the piss at someone's else company. (An example)
Agreed with Bravescot that it is probably the best if it was removed.

An alternative for a thread rating system would be one based off the views that a thread has received instead of the given rates.

Siwi
11-16-2015, 08:56 AM
Can images be resized? If not they should be able to be. For example:
imgurl or something like that. I tried some of the "BB Code" results on google but none worked

Bravescot
11-16-2015, 10:42 AM
An alternative for a thread rating system would be one based off the views that a thread has received instead of the given rates.

I personally think there should just be no thread rating system at all. There are some really well made threads that have 1 or 2 stars given to them that people might not look at due to the low rating.

Gokiller
11-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Then to counter that, it would need a system where it starts giving rates at a certain amount of views. Like say, 500 views. From then on it will start with the lowest rate which will increase in time.
Though, that's only for if they want to keep it in.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
11-16-2015, 12:10 PM
imgurl or something like that. I tried some of the "BB Code" results on google but none worked

I am also want to resize my pictures to build a better thread but thats not possible.

And my second problem is:

My spoilers are divided into 2 parts. thats not really nice. I removed it but it appears automatically again. What do i wrong?

CjkCJkCjk
11-16-2015, 03:11 PM
I agree I wanted to put at the bottom of the company thread a WoR picture showing we had gotten funded but had to delete it since i couldn't see the whole picture or resize it so i could see the whole picture.

Bravescot
11-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Gokiller could you update the front post please

Gokiller
11-16-2015, 04:04 PM
Updated it, if there's anything I forgot please enlighten me.

Ted
11-16-2015, 04:11 PM
So could anyone please tell me why my signature does not work? I'm using the normal code!

[#IMG]http://fs5.directupload.net/images/151116/m2gaw42d.jpg[/IMG] (without # ofc)

Jamez
11-16-2015, 04:13 PM
At the very bottom when editing your signature there is an upload picture section, have you tried using that?

Bravescot
11-16-2015, 04:13 PM
Because you are doing it wrong have a look here: http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?633-How-to-add-signature-images

Maximus Decimus Meridius
11-16-2015, 05:15 PM
My spoilers are divided into 2 parts. thats not really nice. I removed it but it appears automatically again. What do i wrong?

Can anybody tell my whats the problem is?

Jamez
11-16-2015, 06:32 PM
Can anybody tell my whats the problem is?

What code are you putting in? no one can help you if you don't give any information.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
11-16-2015, 07:09 PM
I press the spoiler button and put my text in. When i saved my post my text is divide in two spoilers. When i delete one of them it appears automatically.

Sry for bad english

Leifr
11-20-2015, 06:54 PM
As discussed before; the removal of the 'thread rating' system would be most appreciated. I find that it encourages an undesirable form of behaviour, and one that should not be tolerated here.

Bravescot
11-20-2015, 06:57 PM
As discussed before; the removal of the 'thread rating' system would be most appreciated. I find that it encourages an undesirable form of behaviour, and one that should not be tolerated here.

I could not agree more! The effort you lot have put into your thread for it to be sitting there with a 2 star rating!

Jamez
11-20-2015, 06:58 PM
It also creates a competitive environment on the forum which is not needed and can cause unwanted hostilities.

Soulfly
11-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Since i do not want to open another thread, i have a suggestion regarding the forum area. Would it make sense to open another section (maybe later) called "WoR Tactics" where certain tactics/ movements can be discussed ?

Paavi
11-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Are you going to make different language based sub-categories? For example, Finnish, French, Germany etc.?

Leifr
11-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Since i do not want to open another thread, i have a suggestion regarding the forum area. Would it make sense to open another section (maybe later) called "WoR Tactics" where certain tactics/ movements can be discussed ?

I am not sure what such a board would entail, or warrant, other than somewhat empty discussions. Perhaps better when there is something tangible for the forum to use (Alpha) and to then begin discussions on what is, and isn't, appropriate on the field.

Are you going to make different language based sub-categories? For example, Finnish, French, Germany etc.?

Have there been enough calls for such forums? As far as I am aware, you are the first to both question the lack of language forums and to also propose that they exist. To take an example; the TaleWorlds forum do not open language boards unless there is an unprecedented requirement for such a place, and that there is a trusted moderator whom is versed in the language to enforce the forum rules. I see neither of this being fulfilled here as of this moment.

BloodBeag
11-21-2015, 10:33 AM
I didn't realise that anyone looked at or cared about the rating system

Threads aren't even ordered by rating

Maximus Decimus Meridius
11-21-2015, 10:51 AM
And there are some guys who abuse it.

Theodor Schmidt
11-22-2015, 04:04 PM
Possibly a stickied FAQ for the General part of the forums. Possibly a FST (Frequently suggested things) for the suggestion part of the forums.

Soulfly
11-23-2015, 09:27 AM
I am not sure what such a board would entail, or warrant, other than somewhat empty discussions. Perhaps better when there is something tangible for the forum to use (Alpha) and to then begin discussions on what is, and isn't, appropriate on the field.

I was actually not thinking about " empty discussions" but something like community based tutorials for Generals/ Officers leading into battle or tactics for skirmishers and as i have mentioned this should be done when the game is out

Jamez
12-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Can we please get the table settings fixed at somepoint?

This just creates an error and doesn't appear. It is really annoying being unable to centre a table on a thread without having to put in a spoiler.

Fancy Sweetroll
12-09-2015, 02:16 AM
Now tables should center by default by using the following bbcode

Test1
Test2

Test3
Test4

Test5
Test6

To produce these results.

Test1

Test2 asdasdsad

Test3
Test4

Test5
Test6

Let me know if that works for you. As far as I've been able to see. Posts already using tables should either look the same as before or better, but let me know if you still experience any issues.

And here is a list of all the bb codes currently supported on the forum: http://www.warofrightsforum.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

Jamez
12-09-2015, 02:21 AM
Great! That works for me aswell. One thing is that it still creates a huge space between the text if you have the layout as

instead of

Is there anyway to prevent this and keep the layout? Thanks

Fancy Sweetroll
12-09-2015, 02:52 AM
Finally, tried all the tricks I know and found a solution, you gotta love bbcodes lol.

Edit: But I gotta say that some of you guys go totally over the top when creating your company forum threads, you should create a website instead :D, just kidding, glad your here.

Jamez
12-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Finally, tried all the tricks I know and found a solution, you gotta love bbcodes lol.

Edit: But I gotta say that some of you guys go totally over the top when creating your company forum threads, you should create a website instead :D

Brilliant! Looks like people have got a lot editing to do now.

We actually do have a website as well which looks fantastic.

Edit: Actually it looks like now that the table doesn't even register any new lines inside the table (like my signature). This may actually be more of a problem than the previous one as that one could just be worked around.

Fancy Sweetroll
12-09-2015, 04:20 AM
Try it now.

Jamez
12-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Test
Test

Test
Test

Test
Test

Edit: It works for me too now. Thanks!

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-09-2015, 03:31 PM
can you fix a cell? i dont know how can i describe it right.

Rank
Insignia
Name
Nationality

Company- Commander:
1st Sergeant
http://i.imgur.com/bXh5XYQ.png
William Scherrer
http://steamcommunity-a.akamaihd.net/public/images/countryflags/de.gif

Rank
Insignia
Name
Nationality

Company- Commander:
1st Sergeant
http://i.imgur.com/bXh5XYQ.png
William Scherrer
http://steamcommunity-a.akamaihd.net/public/images/countryflags/de.gif

the problem is that the egine ignores the empty cell but for my table i need some empty cells for the right layout

Jamez
12-09-2015, 03:35 PM
for now a lot of people put either a "-" or a "." just to fill the gap

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-09-2015, 03:41 PM
k. but it's not a nice solution...

Jamez
12-09-2015, 03:46 PM
It's not the best solution but bbcode has its limitations sometimes.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-09-2015, 03:49 PM
it's possible. but i dont know how ^^

you give a cell a fix size and so it doesnt matter if it's empty or not.