PDA

View Full Version : Nice to see this.

A. P. Hill
02-22-2018, 11:24 PM
Looking forward to many interesting conversations.

McMuffin
02-22-2018, 11:25 PM
I'm looking forward to plenty of intellectual conversations and flame wars.

A. P. Hill
02-22-2018, 11:27 PM
Drat, my banana isn't dancing! :(

Dman979
02-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Drat, my banana isn't dancing! :(

The pains of old age. :(

Best,
Dman979

Kyle422
02-23-2018, 02:07 AM
I will allow this considering we are still coming up with rules that go with this section of the forums, But I would like to keep everything on topic.

- Kyle

McMuffin
02-23-2018, 02:29 AM
I will allow this considering we are still coming up with rules that go with this section of the forums, But I would like to keep everything on topic.

- Kyle

Also, I think one way to conduct this section is either in a debate where you pose a question and let people debate and people have to use sources, or, just like the rest of these forums and just let people talk. I hope the discussion will spark appropriate and not pure flame war debate.

Dman979
02-23-2018, 03:58 AM
I hope the discussion will spark appropriate and not pure flame war debate.

As a moderator for another game's forums: that will depend on the culture we establish for ourselves on these forums, the response time of the moderators, and the willingness of users to step back if an argument is getting too heated.

Best,
Dman979

McMuffin
02-24-2018, 04:40 PM
Well said, Dman. I am committed to contribute to this culture in a positive way, I know others will be, as well.

Not everyone is committed to keeping things clean and positive.

Poorlaggedman
02-25-2018, 01:17 AM
It doesn't always need to be clean and positive particularly in the midst of tomfoolery. People will get bored of going apecrap every time someone insults them and enter into a healthy relationship of ignoring each other with occasional passive-aggressive insults if threads weren't just locked every time people start standing up out of their postin' chairs.

McMuffin
02-25-2018, 01:36 AM
It doesn't always need to be clean and positive particularly in the midst of tomfoolery. People will get bored of going apecrap every time someone insults them and enter into a healthy relationship of ignoring each other with occasional passive-aggressive insults if threads weren't just locked every time people start standing up out of their postin' chairs.

True, but, forums to aid in the development of the game or historical sections are not a place for people to purely bicker. The debates that have been shut down are just pure bickering, and nothing is going anywhere or becomes a mudslinging competition, those threads should rightfully be locked off.

Poorlaggedman
02-25-2018, 01:59 AM
People are too sensitive. It's a war game. You're supposed to hate people. You think that'll all go away outside of development? At least people have some sort of reputation to keep up here in a lot of circumstances compared to other sources, like Youtube. Have you tried checking out the comment sections on anything Civil War related recently on Youtube? Sometimes there's merit in the mudslinging. It'll all come out to wash in the servers when everyone's banning everyone otherwise.

John Cooley
02-26-2018, 08:04 AM
People are too sensitive. It's a war game. You're supposed to hate people. You think that'll all go away outside of development? At least people have some sort of reputation to keep up here in a lot of circumstances compared to other sources, like Youtube. Have you tried checking out the comment sections on anything Civil War related recently on Youtube? Sometimes there's merit in the mudslinging. It'll all come out to wash in the servers when everyone's banning everyone otherwise.

Agreed
One would also expect a certain amount of RP Banter in a Civil War game, such as this, but sadly this has not been the case.
Granted, the Backdrop is a sensitive matter but that should not translate into hatred of other Players.
The pure vitriol and mean spirited attacks have had their effect and we now have a very Disney-esque forum atmosphere where one's Opinion is welcome as long as it is Rated G and in agreement with the Accepted Historical Narrative.
Such a shame and missed opportunity, imo.
Seems a bit out of sorts with a "war"game that has great RP potential but at least the fighting portion of WoR is fun ad becoming more technically refined and playable as we go along.