PDA

View Full Version : 15th North Carolina At Sharpsburg

Johnny_Reb_1865
04-04-2018, 07:49 AM
Can some of you tell me about how the 15th North Carolina was engaged during the battle and where they fought?

brentcarter
04-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Can some of you tell me about how the 15th North Carolina was engaged during the battle and where they fought?

C.S.A.
JACKSON'S COMMAND
COBB'S BRIGADE, McLAW'S DIVISION
Lieut. Col. C. C. Sanders, 24th Georgia Infantry, Commanding.
Organization.
16th Georgia Infantry, Cobb's (Georgia) Legion,
24th Georgia Infantry, 15th North Carolina

(September 17, 1862.)
Cobb's Brigade crossed the Potomac at daybreak and halted near General Lee's Headquarters west of Sharpsburg. At about 9:20 A.M., it formed line on the south side of Bloody Lane, its left resting at this point and, with Rodes' and portions of Garland's and Colquitt's Brigades, participated in the engagement with French's Division of the Second Corps. Later in the day the Brigade changed front to the right, facing east, and supported D. H. Hill's Division and George T. Anderson's Brigade in resisting the advance of Richardson's Division.

Source
http://antietam.aotw.org/officers.php?unit_id=568

Johnny_Reb_1865
04-09-2018, 08:13 AM
Thanks!

Where would I go online to read first hand accounts of company "A" during the fight at the bloody lane?

brentcarter
04-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Thanks!

Where would I go online to read first hand accounts of company "A" during the fight at the bloody lane?

You would have to read a history book about the regiment to get in depth details

brentcarter
04-09-2018, 03:53 PM
Wrong regiment, wrong brigade, wrong state. :p

I'd recommend Hess' book, Lee's Tar Heels (https://www.amazon.com/Lees-Tar-Heels-Pettigrew-Kirkland-MacRae-Brigade/dp/1469627221).

Thank you for correcting my mistake . I had some compass problems. Still the advice stands find the books about either the regiment or brigade to get a more in depth view. Just get the state right...