PDA

View Full Version : Historical Use of Balloons or Towers

calmmyst
04-30-2018, 11:04 PM
Could we see the use of Balloons, or observation Towers, I use to play around on a tower In GA. some 10 stories high, and completely round with a single fireman's pole down from the top, to the bottom floor, for a fast escape. the stairs that ran the outside all the way up, with door openings at each level were only parts there to show where they had been. open bay windows, never had glass in it.

Charles Rex
05-01-2018, 08:15 PM
The observation towers may have potential use on some maps, if the game is going to have some sort of siege or another attack/defend mode eventually. I don't think that adding the balloons would affect the gameplay significantly

Wilhelm von Straussberry
05-01-2018, 11:21 PM
It really all depends on the historical accuracy and the prevalence in which that they were used. Although the Union did employ balloons as a reconnaissance tool with good results under the "Balloon Corps", they only fielded six balloons throughout their existence and were effectively disbanded in May of 1863. Furthermore, although the Balloon Corps was assigned to the Army of the Potomac during the Maryland Campaign, they did not arrive on time to be utilized by the commanders in any of the battles or skirmishes that took place.

As for the "Observation Towers" you're referring to, I couldn't find any information on that type of tower being used in the Civil War, as what you're describing sounds like it was made to be a permanent fortification or building, not constructed to be used in a specific battle. They did however have "Signal Towers" which would like to see in the game.