PDA

View Full Version : What makes the ACW so interesting to you or this game to you

Pvt.Scott
09-03-2015, 05:13 PM
What makes the ACW so interesting to me is the scale and size like 90,000 people vs 90,000 other people in a small village and around it. I just recently got into the civil war and I like to learn about it. I like this game because I want to know what it was like to be there in the battle.

Mi'kmaq
09-03-2015, 08:53 PM
The Civil War itself holds a deeper meaning to me. You can still see the results of the Union invasion in the South today. Reconstruction was horrid. I had always been around Civil war songs and stories. My father has a Confederate flag tattooed on his arm and he used to have one flying over the farm in Alabama. I took an interest at a young age. Stories of my family in the Confederate army and the Union army. This game just kinda feeds my interest. I love learning about the war. I have a lot of pride in knowing my ancestors fought in the Civil War.

Rithal
09-04-2015, 12:26 AM
Pretty much what Mi'kmaq said. The Civil War surrounds all of our lives (At least those who live in the south). I pass two battlefields alone on an five mile trip to school XD

I am also just interested in the time period and the history that comes with it. The sense of courage that men had on both sides of the fighting fascinates me, and I often ponder what was going through the minds of the men who fought in the war. Each side fought for what it believed was right, but there can only be one right, right? The war leaves the student to decide what was morally right in that situation. Its almost like a brain-tease. When you look in depth at the Civil War, there are dozens of factors that go into weighing right from wrong, and I really enjoy that :)

I also love learning about my heritage (The good, the bad, and the ugly), where my family came from, and what in the past made my family the way it is today. Family and learning about my ancestry is one of things that I hold deep to myself while others seem like they couldn't care. I guess I'm just one of those "weird" guys whose actually enjoying his History class :D

Mi'kmaq
09-04-2015, 04:38 AM
I suppose its one of those things were you'd have to be from the South to understand. Yanks seem to forget about the war, but we live its aftermath every day. Carpetbaggers still exist, our heritage is under constant threat, and everyone outside the South has this belief that Southerners are exclusively white and that Southern whites hate people because of skin color.

Soulfly
09-04-2015, 06:40 AM
as a foreigner i have no personal feelings. But i am fascinated from the brutal battles, the courage and valor and the questions what if...at certain points during the war.

Simon445
09-04-2015, 01:55 PM
Same as @Soulfly said, I am European and I don't really "care" for what happened over there in 1860s, but I like Civil War, battlefield, tactics, weapons and ofcourse.... rebel yell :D

Pvt.Scott
09-04-2015, 04:44 PM
I love history class or social studies It might be different where you are or what grade. It sucks for me because my ancestors didn't live in the U.S at the time they were probably in Ireland and Germany but 3 of my great uncles were in the navy in ww2. The U.S navy btw. And again I just recently just got into it after my trip to Gettysburg which inspired me so much. I've also wondered about why foreigners like the civil war even though it didn't involve them at all.(this is pretty much a reply to everyone)

TrustyJam
09-04-2015, 05:26 PM
I love history class or social studies It might be different where you are or what grade. It sucks for me because my ancestors didn't live in the U.S at the time they were probably in Ireland and Germany but 3 of my great uncles were in the navy in ww2. The U.S navy btw. And again I just recently just got into it after my trip to Gettysburg which inspired me so much. I've also wondered about why foreigners like the civil war even though it didn't involve them at all.(this is pretty much a reply to everyone)

It involved lots of people from other countries since the us is a country made of immigrants.

I've been drawn to the conflict ever since I watched Gettysburg as a child (I remember covering the television with my hand during the field hospital scenes). Oh and I like this game because it is the best (not biased at all, promise!). :)

- Trusty

Legochiel
09-04-2015, 05:52 PM
I always am interested in wars (mostly the ones i didnt know about for a long while) which got me interested to see more of this game.

Mi'kmaq
09-04-2015, 07:14 PM
It involved lots of people from other countries since the us is a country made of immigrants.

I've been drawn to the conflict ever since I watched Gettysburg as a child (I remember covering the television with my hand during the field hospital scenes). Oh and I like this game because it is the best (not biased at all, promise!). :)

- Trusty
Ehhh, I disagree. Most of the folks who fought in the Civil War were natives. Calling us immigrants completely disassembles our culture. But thats another discussion. I think its rather flattering that people have taken such in interest in a conflict that had quite literally nothing to do with them. Really awesome! :D

TrustyJam
09-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Ehhh, I disagree. Most of the folks who fought in the Civil War were natives. Calling us immigrants completely disassembles our culture.

Maybe native by american standards. :)

- Trusty

Mi'kmaq
09-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Maybe native by american standards. :)

- Trusty
There was a surge in identifying with various ancestries in the late 20th century, but before then there was a CLEAR distinction between native and immigrant. I dont understand why people think a lot of our families came over like 50 years ago. Its sad, truth be told. A lot of Americans are obsessed with the idea of being Irish instead of American.

TrustyJam
09-04-2015, 07:30 PM
There was a surge in identifying with various ancestries in the late 20th century, but before then there was a CLEAR distinction between native and immigrant. I dont understand why people think a lot of our families came over like 50 years ago. Its sad, truth be told. A lot of Americans are obsessed with the idea of being Irish instead of American.

Clearly there's a different point of view here in Europe then. You're "that country made up of immigrants, slaves and native americans". A huge melting pot.

Anyway, going too much off topic here. Let's keep it to the question at hand.

- Trusty

Mi'kmaq
09-04-2015, 08:26 PM
Clearly there's a different point of view here in Europe then. You're "that country made up of immigrants, slaves and native americans". A huge melting pot.

Anyway, going too much off topic here. Let's keep it to the question at hand.

- Trusty
Seems that way, but thats a pretty recent thing, tbh. If we want to discuss this, we'd better go to the interesting stuff thread xD! Anyways, yeah, the Civil War is interesting.

Rithal
09-04-2015, 10:08 PM
I think of it this way. Europeans are interested in the Civil War in the same manner that Americans are interested in the Napoleonic Wars. :)

Neither war really concerned the other continent, but looking back in history is always fun no matter what continent you are on.

BTW, the whole native/immigrant discussion. I would consider many of the soldiers who fought in the war immigrants. Whether they were actually immigrants or were two or three generations from immigrants, thats close enough for me :) I would only consider the families that came in early exploration before the United States was even a country the "natives". Or at least as native as someone of European descent could be XD

Mi'kmaq
09-04-2015, 10:10 PM
I think of it this way. Europeans are interested in the Civil War in the same manner that Americans are interested in the Napoleonic Wars. :)

Neither war really concerned the other continent, but looking back in history is always fun no matter what continent you are on.

BTW, the whole native/immigrant discussion. I would consider many of the soldiers who fought in the war immigrants. Whether they were actually immigrants or were two or three generations from immigrants, thats close enough for me :) I would only consider the families that came in early exploration before the United States was even a country the "natives". Or at least as native as someone of European descent could be XD

So the original inhabitants of the 13 Colonies? If so, then I'd disagree to an extent. I'd say there is a cutoff point, of course, but I see the folks who came form other countries to fight for the South and North to be just as native. They shed blood for this land too. So for me, the cutoff point is the Civil War. I believe that one can only become apart of a group through struggle. War, discrimination, etc. Struggle binds peoples together.

Take for example Confederate General Patrick Cleburne, "Stonewall of the West". He was born in Ireland, but was a Southern general, thus he is not Irish to me, he is Southern.

William
09-05-2015, 08:47 AM
1st Unifroms 2nd Wappons 3rd ist just awsome 4th Hinkel made it :D can only be good ;)

Historical Player
09-05-2015, 02:36 PM
The Civil War is interesting to me because it is pretty much the second American Revolution and you had so much going on at one time. World War 1 almost started during the Civil War, and the South almost pulled it off. I had so many ancestors who fought in the war as well,a nd since I go to military school I figured this game will take me back to 1862 to a time of my proud ancestors.

Mi'kmaq
09-05-2015, 07:01 PM
xD the Southerners are the ones who will take this game ultra seriously and massacre captured Union players. I can see it now. Regiment leader is trying to figure out where to move the prisoners and all you see is Rithal and Historical bayonetting and screaming at the prisoners.

Historical Player
09-05-2015, 10:44 PM
xD the Southerners are the ones who will take this game ultra seriously and massacre captured Union players. I can see it now. Regiment leader is trying to figure out where to move the prisoners and all you see is Rithal and Historical bayonetting and screaming at the prisoners.

Bayonetting while screaming and scalping the prisoners!

Rithal
09-06-2015, 02:57 AM
Bayonetting while screaming and scalping the prisoners!

Not the scalping thing again! XD Please.... nu....

@Mi'kmaq I think Northerners and Europeans will also take it seriously! :P For the first few times, I will probably capture people and kinda treat them with a little respect, but after doing it over and over for a few weeks, I will probably just get bored and shoot them >:-)

Mi'kmaq
09-06-2015, 03:03 AM
Not the scalping thing again! XD Please.... nu....

@Mi'kmaq I think Northerners and Europeans will also take it seriously! :P For the first few times, I will probably capture people and kinda treat them with a little respect, but after doing it over and over for a few weeks, I will probably just get bored and shoot them >:-)

Remember that scene from the Hatfields and McCoys series on History Channel where the guy captures 2 Union soldiers and executes them? Yeah, that's gonna be me. Heheheehehehehehehehehehehehehhe. Screaming Dixie and kneecapping the prisoners.

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton
*gunshot*
*moves to next prisoner*
Old times there are not forgotten
*gunshot*
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land!

GothixGrafx
09-06-2015, 04:03 AM
*gunshot*
*moves to next prisoner*
*gunshot*

I sure am Glad you're on our side Mi'kmaq!

Mi'kmaq
09-06-2015, 04:12 AM
I sure am Glad you're on our side Mi'kmaq!

If you don't mind me asking, but this is kinda messing with my mind. Are you a dev now? o.0

SergenTLaZooZ
09-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Sorry for my ignorance but what is ACW ?

Historical Player
09-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Remember that scene from the Hatfields and McCoys series on History Channel where the guy captures 2 Union soldiers and executes them? Yeah, that's gonna be me. Heheheehehehehehehehehehehehehhe. Screaming Dixie and kneecapping the prisoners.

*gunshot*
*moves to next prisoner*
*gunshot*
A little madness is a good thing!

GothixGrafx
09-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Sorry for my ignorance but what is ACW ?

There is nothing civil about war but... ACW = American Civil War

Dipington
09-07-2015, 10:22 PM
I love it ever since my time living in Virginia seeing all of the battlefields and going to the gift shops where i once got a union kepi and i toy springfield. I also saw many other battlefields in virginia which i got stuck on the civil war afterwards.

Pvt.Scott
09-09-2015, 09:06 PM
yeah that's also what happened to me I was at Gettysburg this summer and it got me hooked. I also bought a union cap there and a toy musket. coincidence? I THINK NOT! ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ oh yeah and happy birthday freede.
I also own this hat irl.

Dipington
09-09-2015, 09:09 PM
yeah that's also what happened to me I was at Gettysburg this summer and it got me hooked. I also bought a union cap there and a toy musket. coincidence? I THINK NOT! ILLUMINATI CONFIRMED! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ oh yeah and happy birthday freede.

scott, you will marry meh, we were made for each other. YOU CANT ESCAPE DESTINY!!!!

Pvt.Scott
09-09-2015, 09:36 PM
no but I am glad there's another new Yorker. I swear I've heard of pierce field but no 1. I'm a dude 2. NO

Dipington
09-13-2015, 04:21 PM
no but I am glad there's another new Yorker. I swear I've heard of pierce field but no 1. I'm a dude 2. NO

it's a small ass town in the adirondack mountains, 1. so? 2. YES

zimmer1lb
09-23-2015, 01:54 PM
I rather imagine there were folks who fought that weren't citizens. Their interest was in an ideal they believed in, and were willing to die for that ideal and it was the ACW that allowed them to exercise their beliefs.

No matter what war is or was fought, it takes courage on a huge scale to face an opponent in a death match. And in particular I think about ranks of men with swords and shields where the only deed was up close and personal.

zimm out

Josy_Wales
09-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Pretty much everything, if thats an option :P And the unfairness and ignorance of the situation today.

Legion
10-05-2015, 02:47 AM
While America is made of Immigrants, i agree with Mi'kmaq that most of those who fought were native. But I guess it depends on your definition of a native. My view is that if you are born their then you are a native of that place even if your parents aren't. For instance I'm a native of Louisiana because I was born their but I used to live in Mississippi but I was only a resident not a native. Nativity is where you are were born and not where you are.
Anyways back on topic I think the reason that I like the civil war is just because of all the history and the fact that the way war was fought back then amazes me. It amazes me that anyone survived, wars are different now days but just as awful, I guess I'm just interested in the way wars were fought back then vs now.
Another thing is learnign about my home state in the war and what units they fielded. One of the most famous units of the civil war came from Louisiana.
The last reason is pretty much just southern pride and knowing where I come from. If fight for the south hands down any day.