PDA

View Full Version : Name of my company?

Colum O'Brien
07-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Hello,
I've been away for a few months teaching in vietnam and won't be back until October. But i was just checking on my company today and I'm now called the "Simpson's Battery B" rather than the battery b 1st pennsylvania light artillery I picked. Is there a reason for this? I obviously have missed a lot.

SwingKid148
07-24-2018, 09:18 PM
https://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?5350-Unit-Re-designations&highlight=unit+designations

There is some notes in that thread. They changed the names to the historical names used.

A. P. Hill
07-25-2018, 11:39 PM
Hello,
I've been away for a few months teaching in vietnam and won't be back until October. But i was just checking on my company today and I'm now called the "Simpson's Battery B" rather than the battery b 1st pennsylvania light artillery I picked. Is there a reason for this? I obviously have missed a lot.

Being the source of some of the naming convention "changes", I apologize. You are correct, your unit is misidentified as Simpson's Battery, it should be Cooper's Battery. I have passed this on to the powers to be and hopefully when time is available, it can be rectified.

https://i.imgur.com/yyoqVQy.png

In the meantime, I'd like to mention, with all due respect to Fancy Sweetroll for one hell of a job on the original programming, that the earlier release of the Company Tool is not as flexible as it could be, nor as it should be. There is no doubt that a revisit to the code will need to take place, but again I restate, that there are far more important things that need to be prioritized first than the Company Tool programming.

I would also like to take some time to address some other "issues" that have arisen. I have noted over many years of study of this topic, that naming conventions vary widely, so some concessions did require being implemented. One of those concessions is that a great majority of my reading of A.A.R. reports from persons like General Lee, General Pete Longstreet, General McClellan, or General Joe Hooker, to all others of lesser notoriety, more often than not referred to Batteries by the current commanders names rather than by their organizational designations.

(For those of you who would tout a "Unit History" as your basis, please note, that I likely have read, or will find and read said unit history for verification, but my personal opinion of unit histories are that they are suspect and biased. Their intent is exactly what you're reading, and that is to exemplify the unit of discussion, therefore more often than naught, the organization name will be used in place of Captain of Battery names.)

In this case it's going to seem like I'm picking on the 1st PA Light Artillery, but I'm not, I'm staying with the theme of this thread, I can apply this proof to just about any unit, where this discussion could come up. Nonbiased historians more often follow the A.A.R. records when writing history, thus Batteries are Identified using Commander's names. Most maps that you will find that are provided by nonbiased cartographers, and others associated with the task, will likely list batteries by commander name rather than organization name. (Again "Unit" histories are suspect.)

As a backing for this statement, I'll provide this map. (https://www.battlefields.org/learn/maps/antietam-fight-cornfield-600am-700am) Can you locate the 1st Pennsylvania Light Artillery batteries? :) Or any Battery's Organizational designation?

Again, I apologize for the misidentifying of your battery, a fluke of programming.

Respectfully,
Powell

Colum O'Brien
09-15-2018, 04:11 AM
No worries. I hope this getz fixed. All of my research I left back home before I moved to vietnam but I try to be as accurate as possible to respect the people who fought and died. I even ended up speaking to the people who actually act as the 1st PA Bat B in reinactments in America. It seems that the battery isn't all forgotten and there is a small group of us who remember and try to spread the word about them.