PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition counter

Kyle422
08-20-2018, 09:33 PM
I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea for the devs to add some sort of ammo counter. By this I mean add a key that will allow the "Character" in game to check his ammo pouch and say something like Full, Partially empty or very low, just to give the player a rough estimate of when he is going to run out of ammo not an exact ammount.

- Kyle

A. P. Hill
08-20-2018, 11:22 PM
A player is never out of choices for taking out the enemy.
Once you run out of rounds for your weapon, (If you live long enough on the field to do so,) as many a good Confederate General used to say, "Give them the bayonet!"

(doing so usually gets you killed so you can replenish yer ammo! ;) )

McMuffin
08-21-2018, 12:18 AM
I think instead of a number, do what Kyle suggested, have a little icon with the pouch that goes down as you expend ammunition. +1 On this.

Shiloh
08-21-2018, 12:27 AM
I can't remember many times where I ran out of ammunition before dying... maybe once or twice over 260+ hours of playing time. I'm not sure this is needed.

Lightfoot
08-21-2018, 04:09 PM
Don't think there needs to be some kind of special display. Just have the number rounds left displayed when you hit the T key. There are a few skirmishers where there is a tendency to just shoot away and you need some way to let your commander know its charge or throw rocks time.

Sox
08-27-2018, 01:48 AM
I can see a need for this with Buck & Ball ammo, but yes, on the menu when you press T.

McMuffin
08-27-2018, 03:18 PM
Don't think there needs to be some kind of special display. Just have the number rounds left displayed when you hit the T key. There are a few skirmishers where there is a tendency to just shoot away and you need some way to let your commander know its charge or throw rocks time.

Well the point is to give you an idea, not an exact number since you wouldn't be able to count instantly how many rounds there are, but you could probably feel and guestimate how much ammo you have left, hence a display or text saying 'Full' 'Half' 'Nearly Empty' 'Empty', etc. I actually think text would fit far better with the overall UI right now.

I can't remember many times where I ran out of ammunition before dying... maybe once or twice over 260+ hours of playing time. I'm not sure this is needed.

When the larger historical battles launch that will be longer, you will find yourself low on ammo or out much more often. Even in skirmishes now, actual skirmishers would go through a lot more ammo than regular line battle infantry.

Hinkel
08-27-2018, 03:56 PM
The idea is definatly very interesting and might get tested soon or later.
As suggested, 'Full' 'Half' 'Nearly Empty' and so on would be best ;)

LaBelle
08-27-2018, 04:40 PM
Make it so the player rummages through his cartridge box, giving the player a few short seconds to see what he has left.

Redleader
08-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Well the point is to give you an idea, not an exact number since you wouldn't be able to count instantly how many rounds there are, but you could probably feel and guestimate how much ammo you have left, hence a display or text saying 'Full' 'Half' 'Nearly Empty' 'Empty', etc..

Red orchestra had an text 'ammo check' sort of what you propose (see video) … I also would prefer a button (instead of automatic) so it doesn't bother people who don't use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOEGiL7VNig

Riversong
08-27-2018, 08:38 PM
How about being able to pick up ammo from the dead, but only what they had left. It would have to take some time like it does to reload and you can only do it once when out of ammo. Honestly I think I've only run out of ammo once or twice. Usually I don't last more than 5-10 minutes on the field. In fact lately I haven't been able to get across a field without someone getting a lucky shot off. I'm thinking of changing my nick name to "Fodder"

McMuffin
08-27-2018, 09:14 PM
Red orchestra had an text 'ammo check' sort of what you propose (see video) … I also would prefer a button (instead of automatic) so it doesn't bother people who don't use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOEGiL7VNig

Certainly something similar to that, regarding text, Red Orchestra is a good example, but Escape from Tarkov does it very well by mixing the animation and the subtle display of what you have so it's not right in the middle of the screen and blends well with the rest of the UI and instead the bottom right. I believe War of Rights would do something similar to compound well with the UI or even exactly the same with a simple font check and of course a different animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-KcvuypJlY

Bivoj
08-27-2018, 09:19 PM
Red Orchestra and Escape from Tarkov - these two games I really love! (not playing RO anymore & very disappointed by RO2)

Yes, this kind of ammo check would be nice and realistic. You feel how many bullets are left when you enter your hand into ammo pouch (RO style) and you can visually check anytime (EfT style).

McMuffin
08-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Red Orchestra and Escape from Tarkov - these two games I really love! (not playing RO anymore & very disappointed by RO2)

Yes, this kind of ammo check would be nice and realistic. You feel how many bullets are left when you enter your hand into ammo pouch (RO style) and you can visually check anytime (EfT style).

I don't know about visually checking, I mean I guess it could be implemented, but in EFT you still can't really see how many you have purely based on looking at the mag, it's still the text. Although I wouldn't be opposed to the amount of bullets actually being visually depleted, it would only be a bonus.

A. P. Hill
08-27-2018, 10:15 PM
This was the same idea that I had. Make an animation where the player opens his cartridge box and glances inside.

I could get behind this. :)

Bivoj
08-28-2018, 05:52 AM
I don't know about visually checking, I mean I guess it could be implemented, but in EFT you still can't really see how many you have purely based on looking at the mag, it's still the text. Although I wouldn't be opposed to the amount of bullets actually being visually depleted, it would only be a bonus.

I know the game well, the idea of “visual check” is to make animation of looking at the ammo pouch and writing the ammo remaining (or not writing anything when the graphics can tell the information).

Kyle422
08-29-2018, 09:55 AM
Glad to see my suggestion is getting some love.

- kyle

TrustyJam
08-29-2018, 12:10 PM
Glad to see my suggestion is getting some love.

- kyle

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion.

It's been an idea of ours for years now. Will probably look into it at some point as it would be an immersive thing to have. :)

- Trusty

Lightfoot
08-29-2018, 04:22 PM
I don't think we should over kill this problem with complex visuals, etc. A soldier knew when he was getting low by feel. When he reached for a cartridge he could tell by feel when the box was getting empty. Pop up a simple visual whenever he is loading his gun. Could be as simple as a partially filled box icon on the right or just a simple number of cartridges left that fades away after a few seconds.

We don't want to micro manage the soldier. We just need something to allow a soldier in the line to call out to the officer in charge that a better s... or get off the pot because you aren't going to be shooting much longer.

McMuffin
08-29-2018, 04:27 PM
I don't think we should over kill this problem with complex visuals, etc. A soldier knew when he was getting low by feel. When he reached for a cartridge he could tell by feel when the box was getting empty. Pop up a simple visual whenever he is loading his gun. Could be as simple as a partially filled box icon on the right or just a simple number of cartridges left that fades away after a few seconds.

We don't want to micro manage the soldier. We just need something to allow a soldier in the line to call out to the officer in charge that a better s... or get off the pot because you aren't going to be shooting much longer.

No one is really over complicating it, hence why multiple people, myself included, have suggested that it goes with a visual or preferably text since it would be simple and probably blend with the UI better than a status indicator popping up in the middle of your screen.

Lightfoot
08-29-2018, 04:41 PM
No one is really over complicating it, hence why multiple people, myself included, have suggested that it goes with a visual or preferably text since it would be simple and probably blend with the UI better than a status indicator popping up in the middle of your screen.

I wasn't really commenting on the complaining but on not over doing the solution. I think for something not critical to play it should just be kept simple and unobtrusive. We need to know how much ammo we have but we just need to keep its presentation simple as possible.

Oleander
08-30-2018, 12:02 PM
I think either a check animation or something the pops up during loading would be ideal. I've been wanting looted ammo for a while as well.

Sox
08-30-2018, 08:54 PM
I've been thinking about this and unless they plan on having some kind of re-supply system, what's the point of knowing how much ammo you have? I mean, it's not like there's actually anything you can do about being low on ammo is there. Being able to loot ammo from the dead however makes perfect sense, as does a counter for when you have buck & ball plus roundshot.

McMuffin
08-30-2018, 09:19 PM
I've been thinking about this and unless they plan on having some kind of re-supply system, what's the point of knowing how much ammo you have? I mean, it's not like there's actually anything you can do about being low on ammo is there. Being able to loot ammo from the dead however makes perfect sense, as does a counter for when you have buck & ball plus roundshot.

If you ask four random people what their ammo is, the chances are high that you'll get an average ammo count for your line. It lets you know how combat capable your regiment is for fighting. That's pretty helpful, especially for skirmishers who will be going through a lot of ammo.

Kyle422
08-30-2018, 09:36 PM
At the moment the ammo counter is kinda pointless being that skirmish is more of an arcade style of gameplay I feel. Once the whole map is released there will be more of a use for the ammo counter. As McMuffin said it will let you know how combat effective your unit is.

- Kyle

Oleander
08-31-2018, 01:44 PM
Exactly, ammo will become a tactical part of battles. How long are you going to hold suppressing fire on the enemy or are you going to let them exhaust their ammo and push in when they can't fight you.

Shiloh
08-31-2018, 06:11 PM
Right now the only option after running out of ammo is to die somehow, or a bayonet charge then respawn full. Regiments typically fell back when low or out then replenished ammo and sometimes got back into the fight. It would be nice if each map had an ammo wagon near spawn where guys could go back and replenish. From a developer standpoint it doesn't seem like that would be too hard to implement.

McMuffin
08-31-2018, 06:26 PM
Right now the only option after running out of ammo is to die somehow, or a bayonet charge then respawn full. Regiments typically fell back when low or out then replenished ammo and sometimes got back into the fight. It would be nice if each map had an ammo wagon near spawn where guys could go back and replenish. From a developer standpoint it doesn't seem like that would be too hard to implement.

That doesn't seem like a bad idea, assuming that it's worth your time. This means that just having your regiment charge is more worth your time than going all the way back to get more supplies because the morale deaths don't matter that much and that's going to be the most common choice for commanders. However, if fatalities do still count a good bit, then hopefully it will incentivize everyone to go and resupply.

McMuffin
08-31-2018, 09:46 PM
Maybe a player-driven, horse-drawn supply wagon could be implemented, in time.

A quartermaster basically?

A. P. Hill
09-01-2018, 01:14 AM
Maybe a player-driven, horse-drawn supply wagon could be implemented, in time.

Not like we don't already have the Quartermaster Wagon in game partially. :)

A.Wood
01-07-2019, 05:49 PM
I know this thread is dead but for some reason I can't post a new one.

Just wondering if ammo is still limited in WOR as I never last long enough find out.

SwingKid148
01-07-2019, 05:58 PM
It is still limited.

A.Wood
01-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Hmmm well then I won't make a thread suggesting it. Thank you!

Charles Caldwell
01-07-2019, 07:00 PM
As suggested, 'Full' 'Half' 'Nearly Empty' and so on would be best ;)

I prefer this option to a detailed count....

thomas aagaard
01-07-2019, 11:28 PM
Add an animation of the soldier looking into his cartridge box and then after x seconds give the specific number.

McMuffin
01-08-2019, 01:42 AM
Add an animation of the soldier looking into his cartridge box and then after x seconds give the specific number.

I think maybe a 'Full, half full, nearly empty' on the UI would be more realistic and fit the overall feel of the game better.

LaBelle
01-08-2019, 03:16 AM
When this game gets the VR update, I hope I can look down at my ammo bag and count the individual shots I have left.

LTC Philip A. Work
01-08-2019, 08:14 AM
I like the "This leather box of murder cylinders feels light" option.

Matt(Fridge)
01-09-2019, 04:41 AM
No matter what is ultimately decided there is no reason for there not to be a counter of some kind. A soldier would have had at least somewhat of an idea of what he had on him.

A.Wood
01-09-2019, 07:49 PM
I like the "This leather box of murder cylinders feels light" option.

It's not murder if you are on the battlefield ... its your duty!

Poorlaggedman
01-09-2019, 08:06 PM
The percentage of times people run out of ammo vs the aesthetic cost of having one just doesn't make it worth it. You're out when your cartridge box is empty. Have you been firing your musket for almost 20 minutes of combat? You might be close to being out.

I'm familiar with the "magazine is light, magazine is heavy" gibberish that some games like to spam in text form, why? It really isn't needed. Anything but a stupid counter. How about just an animation change that pauses you briefly when reloading when you're down to five or ten rounds to do a double take at your cartridge box? That in itself might get you killed.

People go full OCD on this stuff because they're used to having it. I'm over here thinking "Man, I wish we could get that stupid compass off the screen and these line icons out of my face." This game would really, really, really suck if we started tacking all these post-it notes all over the place. Why have a feature for a concern that's a rare happening for players and is avoidable through a yet-to-exist ammunition replenishment?

It'd serve a way bigger purpose to just have some method of replenishing or sharing ammo in the first place.

SwingKid148
01-09-2019, 09:09 PM
We can go all out and have an animation for tearing apart the package of 10 cartridges to fill a slot in the cartridge box tins with fumbling the 12 percussion caps to put into your pouch. Then if you are suppressed/shocked you drop them and lose them in the mud (because it always seems to rain now)!

If anything it should be a peak at the box to see your top row and that's it.

Lasercats
01-10-2019, 12:03 AM
It would be neat if you went through an animation to check the cartridge box so you get a general idea of how many rounds are left.

Jackan
01-10-2019, 06:49 PM
well for every weapon in the game you get 40 rounds total except the pistols of course. So a ammo counter you could just, i dont know, count?

LaBelle
01-10-2019, 08:52 PM
I'm familiar with the "magazine is light, magazine is heavy" gibberish that some games like to spam in text form, why? It really isn't needed.

Sigh. Probably because the games that use that feature cater to players who min/max their ammo count.

Gavsky
01-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Blimey, I didn't even realise there was limited ammunition! Shows how long I live...

Bleddyn
01-16-2019, 01:43 PM
"Man, I wish we could get that stupid compass off the screen and these line icons out of my face." This game would really, really, really suck if we started tacking all these post-it notes all over the place. Why have a feature for a concern that's a rare happening for players and is avoidable through a yet-to-exist ammunition replenishment?

The best suggestions I have seen here are all based on pressing a button to get an ammo count/estimate. If you really don't want to see it, don't press that button. Quite simple and both sides of the debate can be happy.

Saris
01-16-2019, 05:47 PM
I dont see a problem with an ammo counter, we already see our type of ammo and it wouldn't be hard to add a counter right by it.

Oleander
01-16-2019, 08:24 PM
If you don't want a precise count, you can always go with Full, Near Full, Half, Near Empty, Empty. It would be nice to be able to loot bodies for ammo at some point, or at least be able to give rounds to someone else. Maybe leave that for file closers.

Jagdmann
01-16-2019, 09:15 PM
If you don't want a precise count, you can always go with Full, Near Full, Half, Near Empty, Empty. It would be nice to be able to loot bodies for ammo at some point, or at least be able to give rounds to someone else. Maybe leave that for file closers.

Thats a really nice idea and I hope the devs look into it, if it would be possible to check bodies of friends and foes for ammo to loot. That`s what happened all the time on the battlefields I guess. So at some point this should be added to the game. And I feel the ammo counter should also make it into the game somehow. Maybe there might be a "warning" of some kind if the soldier only has 5 rounds left. At least I can better recall how many I`ve got left if I only need to count down from 5 rather than from 40; but may be an aging thing :)

Saris
01-16-2019, 09:57 PM
Or if Campfire games want to go the more historical route in checking the ammo, we should only see how many we have when we turn our head to look at the cartridge box or just tells us when we try to reload our gun.

Sgt.Nightfire
01-23-2019, 01:20 AM
Or if Campfire games want to go the more historical route in checking the ammo, we should only see how many we have when we turn our head to look at the cartridge box or just tells us when we try to reload our gun.

I like this idea, just full, than half full, than a quarter and than 10%.