PDA

View Full Version : Poll line infantry or sharpshooters

rebeldestroyer
09-12-2015, 11:34 PM
Just wondering what everyone's preferences are since the first build will probably only have these two unit types. (or will it ;))

Rithal
09-13-2015, 12:31 AM
I imagine in the first build it will probably be line infantry only but in any case, line infantry is my choice between these two :)

Octavian360
09-13-2015, 12:39 AM
I prefer to play Sharpshooters when im playing just by myself, only because their weapons are generally more accurate. For realism purposes however, I would prefer line soldiers.

rebeldestroyer
09-13-2015, 12:45 AM
I hope the sharpshooters get bayonets on their guns unlike in M&B NW

Ol Stonewall Jackson
09-13-2015, 01:04 AM
Always prefer line infantry

Historical Player
09-13-2015, 02:36 PM
I love playing as sharpshooters whether I'm alone or in an event. It's fun to snipe unsuspecting people.

FlyXwire
09-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Tactically, sharpshooters were trained to operate as skirmishers as well as in close-order line. So if we opt for sharpshooters, does this mean multi-formation combat will be enabled for players?

Josy_Wales
09-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Depends on whether it is VoIP or not, if the controls are on the clunky side and some other factors. I love picking of people from a far in other games so I bet its going to be light inf or skirmisher for me. Cant wait to see how the slow bullet time is going to affect the gameplay :)

Simon445
09-13-2015, 07:46 PM
Both, both is answer.

Rithal
09-14-2015, 12:03 AM
Tactically, sharpshooters were trained to operate as skirmishers as well as in close-order line. So if we opt for sharpshooters, does this mean multi-formation combat will be enabled for players?

Well formations will be "formed" by players. There will be no "formation tool" or "set formations". If you want to form a close-order line, you can. If you want to form a skirmish line, you can. If you want to charge from one side of the map to the other, you can. :P

I don't know if that answers your question.

Octavian360
09-14-2015, 04:31 AM
Well formations will be "formed" by players. There will be no "formation tool" or "set formations". If you want to form a close-order line, you can. If you want to form a skirmish line, you can. If you want to charge from one side of the map to the other, you can. :P

I don't know if that answers your question.

Has this been confirmed by the Devs?

Rithal
09-14-2015, 05:49 AM
Has this been confirmed by the Devs?

From what I have gathered in my two years of being here, the goal is to provide each player with the freedom to do what he or she wants, but still give them the ability to organize.

So, in my mind, yes it is confirmed but I will leave the devs to confirm it again here just in case :)

FlyXwire
09-15-2015, 06:38 PM
Thanks SgtRithal.

So generally no real functional differences [no deployment/formation limitations] between Line Infantry vs. Sharpshooters, other than potentially armament "upgrades" and possibly distinct uniform allowances for sharpshooter battalions (characters)?

This opens up questions of how lines of battle will be encouraged in the game, as opposed to the allure of sniping.

Actually, I'd have Cavalry or mounted infantry as something more akin to what gameplay might seem to be indicating here.

TrustyJam
09-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Sharpshooter classes will be much more limited in numbers than regular infantry classes. Furthermore, they might get a reduced number of reinforcement tickets compared to regular units. This will up their valuability as well as emphasise the caution of which such a resource is to be spent (less willing to throw tickets away performing charges or standoffs, more willing to play a much more covert role on the battlefield).

- Trusty

Bravescot
09-15-2015, 08:57 PM
I really like that idea. Gives them a feeling of risk to value. No need to get into a fire fight with infantry where 3 of their men are worth 1 of yours.

Rithal
09-16-2015, 12:21 AM
Thanks SgtRithal.

So generally no real functional differences [no deployment/formation limitations] between Line Infantry vs. Sharpshooters, other than potentially armament "upgrades" and possibly distinct uniform allowances for sharpshooter battalions (characters)?

Yeah judging from past experience, I would say the most obvious and most definite difference between sharpshooters and normal infantry are the weapons, and the uniform (mostly for Union. Union sharpshooters usually wore green rather than blue).

There might also be skill buffs if the devs choose to go that route. Historically ya know, sharpshooters were the best of the best and it might be wise to represent that in game. That is of course unless they want to fully rely on the skill of the player. :)

Soulfly
09-16-2015, 06:30 AM
Hopefully the only advantage those guys have is more steady aim, please no scopes....those sniper classes ruin every game.

Skipper
09-16-2015, 06:40 AM
I Would choose Line Infantry because I Love this discipline of marching, Formation, aiming , firing and reloading. Also playing in big regiments of real players would be fun :)

Greetings Skipper

Rithal
09-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Hopefully the only advantage those guys have is more steady aim, please no scopes....those sniper classes ruin every game.

Well I doubt there would be a large number of scoped rifles, however some such as the Whitworth rifle sometimes had a mounted telescopic sight. They probably weren't very accurate so I doubt it would be any kind of game killer. ;)

zimmer1lb
09-23-2015, 01:26 PM
If there are going to be scopes, how will they decide on who gets one?? Maybe 1 in 50/100 on a requisition basis........a service reward??? It'd be a shame to have too many in service.

zimm out

BloodBeag
09-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Well a Sharps rifle is better than anything else used in the Civil War right?

Shoot faster further and more accurately

Pvt.Scott
09-23-2015, 05:06 PM
HOLY CRAP this answers my respawning question never saw this comment on this thread before

Swiftwisp
10-02-2015, 12:31 AM
I like shooting the officers in events, because poorly organised regiments tend to panic ;)

Bravescot
10-07-2015, 11:43 PM
I much prefer the freedom of sharpshooters personally much as I love tight packed formations

AlekoTheGreek
10-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Facing a sharpshooter is always frustrating so i have to go with Line on this one :)

Murch
10-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Facing a sharpshooter is always frustrating so i have to go with Line on this one :)

Seconded there.

NorthernRanger
10-16-2015, 04:16 PM
Generally I would prefer using sharpshooter for the agility and accuracy. However In line battles or events I prefer line infantry seeing as it provides that element of immersion when firing volleys in large lines.

HydricAcid
10-18-2015, 12:30 AM
I would personally love to play as a member of a Sharphooter or Light Infantry regiment. However, I would much rather have us be restricted to only Line Infantry than to have every single person running around with a Sharps or Hawken or Henry or a revolving rifle. Sharpshooters, especially sniper teams, should be heavily restricted numbers-wise and encouraged to stay in formations instead of running off on their own.

A. P. Hill
10-18-2015, 01:32 AM
I hope the sharpshooters get bayonets on their guns unlike in M&B NW

I didn't realize that sharpshooters got close enough to use bayonets. :D

rebeldestroyer
10-18-2015, 01:44 AM
no not to charge but in case they get attacked by cavalry

Macliness
10-18-2015, 02:34 AM
Tbh, both have positives and negatives like for instance if you want to hurass the enemy skirms would be the best option (better than Cav in my opinion) but if you get charged (by anything) skirms are as weak as they get. now onto line! line has all around good quality like if you get attacked by cav u have your bayonet or if u run into another line u can exchange heavy blows. but the weak point for like is that they r slow to move (any reg commander knows this) and if you are in confined spaces its just an all out cluster F**k. so as much as i would like to pick a favorite i really cant cuz it depends on what is going on at that time in the battle.

A. P. Hill
10-18-2015, 02:38 AM
Just for the record ... (http://civilwarhome.com/sharpshooter.htm)

... While the history of Berdan's Sharpshooters is well documented, many other Union marksmen also saw action in the Eastern and Western campaigns, and though no records have been preserved, a Confederate sharpshooter unit similar to Berdan's was authorized by act of Confederate Congress in 1862.
But the formal muster of entire sharpshooting regiments in the north and south was found to be unwieldy. In correspondence with Rhode Island Gov. William Sprague September 19, 1862, Union Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton expressed the view of the general staff that snipers were best organized in units no larger than companies and attached to regular regiments for special deployment at a field general's order in a specific action. An approximation of this system was adopted in both Union and Confederate armies.
Armed with Sharp's rifles, Whitworth rifles, sporting arms, and custom-made, privately owned target weapons (some weighing over 30 lbs) Northern and Southern marksmen performed efficient service at Yorktown, Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Spotsylvania, the Wilderness, and Petersburg, and were valued in any protracted battle or small combat. The unpleasant results of this service and the moral climate of the day make finding specific records of sharpshooting duty a rarity, but the efficiency of Confederate sharpshooters in the Devil's Den at Gettysburg and the demoralizing effects of the sniping deaths of such prominent soldiers as Union Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick demonstrate the sharpshooters worth.

:)