PDA

View Full Version : Stuff we have to learn from Napoleonic Wars

Simon445
10-10-2015, 12:49 PM
So here is the list of things we have to learn from Napoleonic Wars DLC for Mount and Blade Warband:

PROS:

- Unit selection menu

- Chat (without killchat because its annoying when people get killed and all you see is red and green all over the screen)

- Have to press another button to go into melee or fire mode (X for NW)

- Making own character name

CONS:

- Clunky melee

- People's names should only be visible when you are really close (so it doesn't ruin screenshots like NW does :)

- Arty crosshair (should not be in WoR)

- Cannons don't get destroyed

- No stamina/supression effect

- Lack of ground destruction when cannon ball hits the ground

- No 3D voice chat. (should be in WoR so even enemy can hear you if you are close)

You can add your own PROS and CONS.

Legion
10-10-2015, 01:24 PM
These are some good points. I can't really think if anything else to add but I don't really care to much what the melee is like because I think that people are going to be shooting more in this game than in NW because of the range and accuracy. Another thing is I hope they don't have any crosshairs for any weapon.

Simon445
10-10-2015, 02:08 PM
These are some good points. I can't really think if anything else to add but I don't really care to much what the melee is like because I think that people are going to be shooting more in this game than in NW because of the range and accuracy. Another thing is I hope they don't have any crosshairs for any weapon.

Same with crosshairs. But since its 1st person only and you have to aim to shoot, crosshair would be useless.

Mi'kmaq
10-10-2015, 02:24 PM

Yeah, crosshairs would be meh.

Hinkel
10-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Why do you choose NW as a reference? You can do Pros and Cons for various other games like ArmA, Red Orchestra or Battlefield.
I doubt that there will be many similarities to NW, except the Napoleonic War tactics ;)

Mi'kmaq
10-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Why do you choose NW as a reference? You can do Pros and Cons for various other games like ArmA, Red Orchestra or Battlefield.
I doubt that there will be many similarities to NW, except the Napoleonic War tactics ;)
I suppose he chose it because many of us came over from the NW community. I bet all of us have played North and South, as it is a glorious mod. We see many similarities between this game and Napoleonic Wars. That's just a guess though. :)

Hinkel
10-10-2015, 02:31 PM
I suppose he chose it because many of us came over from the NW community. I bet all of us have played North and South, as it is a glorious mod. We see many similarities between this game and Napoleonic Wars. That's just a guess though. :)

Indeed, I just said, cause many guys expect another NaS 2 on a different engine. But we can indeed learn from different games and just do it better ;)

Legion
10-10-2015, 03:30 PM
The thing I like about arma is the freedom of choice in your kit and red orchestra Has good suppression effects and stamina.

Etherton
10-10-2015, 03:58 PM
This game will be nothing like NW. Yes it will bring across alot of the community but yeh id say its more of a Realsim like Arma but with awfully innacurate guns and sexy graphics

Legion
10-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Weapons in the civil war are pretty accurate, for instance the Mississippi rifle had a range of around 2000yds and an effective range of about 1200 which is pretty good for back then. Accuracy really depends on the person pulling the trigger. But most guns I'd say had an effective range of around 500 to 600yds

Hinkel
10-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Weapons in the civil war are pretty accurate, for instance the Mississippi rifle had a range of around 2000yds and an effective range of about 1200 which is pretty good for back then. Accuracy really depends on the person pulling the trigger. But most guns I'd say had an effective range of around 500 to 600yds

Those stats are mostly made without the important effect of combat. Our team shot a bunch of muskets and revolvers on a shooting range. Its a pain to aim with those rifles and you need a time to get it stable.
Now imagine you are in combat, your line is under heavy fire. You want to get your rifle quick reloaded and fire asap. So even at 200 yards, you have trouble to hit the target.
Thats why you are using a line, to get a maximum effect of fire power to get some successfull hits.

Legion
10-10-2015, 04:20 PM
I agree with you those rifles are heavy but I don't think the player should be limited in what he could do. I think the weapons should be able to fire at their real life range all the player would have to do is practice and get better at aiming, pretty much just make it as real as possible and please don't balance anything games nowadays are ruled by balancing, we don't need that here I don't think

Simon445
10-10-2015, 04:35 PM

Because NW is most similar to WoR if you look at it. There is no other games with muskets. lol

Leifr
10-10-2015, 06:48 PM
I think it's best if we simply do not think about NW.
It's terrible.

Colonel ProDazzer_
10-10-2015, 06:54 PM
I think it's best if we simply do not think about NW.
It's terrible.
What? The game or thinking about it

Mi'kmaq
10-11-2015, 01:14 AM
What? The game or thinking about it

Napoleonic Wars, a mod for Warband. It just takes some skill to be good at it and few can truly be good at NW.

Colonel ProDazzer_
10-11-2015, 07:41 AM
Napoleonic Wars, a mod for Warband. It just takes some skill to be good at it and few can truly be good at NW.
I know what is NW.
Im just asking that guy if terrible is that game or thinking about it

Leifr
10-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Both. I think it would serve War of Rights best if the folk who play would disconnect themselves entirely from NW.

Mi'kmaq
10-11-2015, 10:46 PM
Both. I think it would serve War of Rights best if the folk who play would disconnect themselves entirely from NW.

Kinda impossible when Hinkel is a developer for North and South and the similarities between the two games are quite noticeable. It's important to learn from NW's mistakes to make this game even better.

Etherton
10-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Kinda impossible when Hinkel is a developer for North and South and the similarities between the two games are quite noticeable. It's important to learn from NW's mistakes to make this game even better.

i think the only way is forward anyway. for a start nw runs on a single core and is modded to be 200 players, this will run 4 core and be built to house 200+ from scratch so thats a sizeable difference, plus this game uses cryengine which offers so much more then the M&B engine made by some turks did

Hethwill_Khan
10-12-2015, 12:51 PM
Interestingly enough I look to WoR from a different perspective although I play WB, including NW, for longer than I care to say ( just press credits on WB ).

I look into WoR from a wargamer perspective while being able to be down there, pretty much like reenacting.

So far so good, it is first person only. That alone makes it an entire different beast. If any of you went to Hall's historical battle events on NW and played by the rules - no aim, 1st pov - you know it is a great experience.

The game mechanics cannot replace a player intention, so the same question comes to WoR as it goes to NW - do you want to experience a nice age of musket battle from the point of view of a trooper or you simply want to use mechanics to win ?

Melee is not easy to do. Even the best out there being developed at the moment - Kingdom Come - has its enormous difficulties and they have superb financial planking under their feet.

There is little to look at NW when talking about WoR.

For a simple comparison play NW always in 1st person all the time, even melee. It is a different game all together.

BloodBeag
10-13-2015, 08:55 AM
I think the melee should be similar to NW as although it isn't great and the people who are 'best' at it are generally the best at exploiting it, it works

Bravescot
10-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Do not let the community become a cesspit of filth and hate like in NW

Tenford
10-14-2015, 08:47 AM
one thing i hate from NW is that you cant swim. You fall to the floor like a rock and die. I wish in WoR you can swim :rolleyes:

Simon445
10-14-2015, 12:59 PM
one thing i hate from NW is that you cant swim. You fall to the floor like a rock and die. I wish in WoR you can swim :rolleyes:

Pretty sure only water path will be on Antietam when there is that little bridge. ?? *correct me if I'm wrong* because it was fought on fields.

Leifr
10-14-2015, 03:47 PM
That would be Burnside Bridge.

Josy_Wales
10-14-2015, 05:05 PM
There won't be much use for swimming in the game bacause of the maps and historical accuracy. It would be idiotic of an officer to comand his men to cross a river where the soldiers had to swim across, and it was not very common to be able to swim at that time either. Wadeing is the only thing needed.

Leifr
10-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Wading would be fine.
Swimming would be suicide for most soldiers of the ACW, either voluntary or involuntary.

Jeremiah O'Brien
10-14-2015, 07:39 PM
I feel like WoR will be much different from NW. Simply from having more accurate weapons, the tactics will be different.

Zoranny
10-15-2015, 03:56 PM
There won't be much use for swimming in the game bacause of the maps and historical accuracy. It would be idiotic of an officer to comand his men to cross a river where the soldiers had to swim across, and it was not very common to be able to swim at that time either. Wadeing is the only thing needed.

Also the gunpowder could get wet, than thei had to throw their bullets with their hands, am I right? Or maybe I'm bit uninformed ^^

Legion
10-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Also the gunpowder could get wet, than thei had to throw their bullets with their hands, am I right? Or maybe I'm bit uninformed ^^

I think they used slingshots instead of their hands. That way they get a little more power behind it.

Zoranny
10-15-2015, 08:01 PM
I think they used slingshots instead of their hands. That way they get a little more power behind it.
Touché! "Killlog: Bart Simpsons killed Homer Simpson with slingshot"