PDA

View Full Version : Logistics

A. P. Hill
10-17-2015, 02:54 AM
Just joining and haven't had much time to read EVERY post yet ...

Please tell me logistics are going to be a big part of this. Every man gets his 60 rounds and unless someone drags a pack mule to the front, or a quartermaster is nearby with a couple cases of ammo ... please tell me it's not unlimited ammo.

I mean life and death hung on whether an outfit had enough ammo to hold a place. Please make the rocks and stones and sticks available.

Which brings me to the next question. What about quartermasters wagon trains and etc? Are they going to be modeled?

Harper's Ferry had RR tracks are there plans for Locomotives and cars?

Bravescot
10-17-2015, 04:17 AM
The ammo count will be realistic

GeorgeCrecy
10-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Ammo counts for each soldier was much more along the lines of 40 rounds, hence why cartridge boxes also being referred to as "40 Dead Men." They could have more rounds in their knapsack or perhaps in their pockets, both in the packet form, but most did not do so.
However, I will say that there will not be unlimited ammo! :)

A. P. Hill
10-17-2015, 05:06 PM
Okay that addresses the unlimited ammo ... so how do we go about getting resupply? :)

Zoranny
10-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Okay that addresses the unlimited ammo ... so how do we go about getting resupply? :)
I would assume, that dead soldiers drop their ammo and you can take it, or (but I don't think this will it be) that there are buildings/boxes where you could refill :)

A. P. Hill
10-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Please Devs, pay extra special attention to this "minor" detail. 40 - 60 rounds ain't much .... And in my studies of the ACW, logistics is key.

Rithal
10-18-2015, 02:35 AM
I think what I'd like to see is a possible camp at your spawn and then people would have to bring the ammo via wagons and drop them off at a specific location.

This would be interesting.

Similar systems have worked successfully in games such as Project Reality (BF2 mod), however squad leaders of course had radios, in that game, to call in supplies from base. I could see it working though.

rebeldestroyer
10-18-2015, 03:42 AM
As a player of PR I think that system might work well. ( have a scout go to "HQ" and request ammo and then a wagon is dispatched to go to a certain location

A. P. Hill
10-18-2015, 03:42 AM
While we're at it ... how bout pontoon bridges ... the ability to dig trenches ... I'm thinking. :)

rebeldestroyer
10-18-2015, 04:11 AM
They could have an engineer class

A. P. Hill
10-18-2015, 11:50 AM
As the game grows and progresses I'm thinking.

Dipington
10-18-2015, 01:12 PM
i wonder if there were engineer regiments at the time of the maryland campaign...

A. P. Hill
10-18-2015, 03:51 PM
i wonder if there were engineer regiments at the time of the maryland campaign...

There were engineering regiments from the inception of the war in 1861. The Corps of Engineers, a permanent branch of the Army since Thomas Jefferson’s establishment of West Point in 1802.

The National Park Service Provides this wonderful tool. (http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-battle-units.htm?submitted=1&warSideCode=C&battleUnitFunctionCode=E&multiselect=E&battleUnitName=)