PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Maryland Infantry, USA Regimental/Battle Flag

Rbater
04-07-2019, 10:44 PM
So I have been searching to try and find if the 2nd MD, US even had one. I have seen the 2nd Maryland CSA had one, as it was based off the 1st Maryland CSA's "Bucktail" design with added CSA flags to each side. The inside of their flag was also the 1854 Maryland Seal. Now, as I was searching, I came across this photo: (See Photo 1). Apparently, this photo was captioned as a reproduction of the Maryland State Flag (Union) with the flag being made in 1904. I couldn't find any more information until I checked my phone pictures from Antietam and saw this: (See Photo 2). The photo is of the bronze plaque on the Maryland Monument at Antietam. If you zoom in closer, you can see the crest/cape that decorates the Maryland State Seal before 1854 as referenced in the reproduction from 1904. (See Photo 3)

Photo 1: 10759

Photo 2: 10760

Photo 3: 10761

Due to this revelation, I have tried my best to make one in better quality, albeit, I could use some help from others to make a better one to maybe see it in the game. The reverse side of this battle flag would also adorn the Federal Eagle pattern with the text on each scroll going left to right as such: | 2nd Md. VOL. | Regiment | Infantry

Front Side

Reverse Side similar to this 31st Indiana Volunteer Infantry Flag

And just for preface, here are the CSA flags.

1st Maryland Infantry Regiment's Flag, CSA

2nd Maryland Infantry Regiment's Flag, CSA

Hinkel
04-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Based on your awesome references and research, I spent some time to work on their flag today :)

https://i.gyazo.com/87ae0e4b93d3c4f1ce3d10f2f9fb418e.jpg

Rbater
04-08-2019, 08:14 PM
Based on your awesome references and research, I spent some time to work on their flag today :)

https://i.gyazo.com/87ae0e4b93d3c4f1ce3d10f2f9fb418e.jpg

Wow! That looks fantastic! I'm glad I was of service :)

Rbater
04-11-2019, 06:21 AM
@Hinkel I made just a few mistakes! I have the actual Regimental Color/flag pictures!

The top of the banner states: "Presented By The State of Maryland To Her 2nd Regt. Vols." The nd, t, and s are all in that smaller type font (see Federal Eagle's nd as reference). They also used the State Seal from 1854, not the one from before/after. The banner of presentation is what is visible on the Antietam bronze plaque. The bottom of the banner states: "Bull Run. Chantilly. South Mountain. Antietam. Fredericksburg." and underneath is "East Tennessee". All of those were added on after the fact. Here's a picture of the 5th Regiment's flag for how it should look. 10798

On the flip side, I was right about the Federal Eagle. However, the text should be as you see in the picture.

All the lettering and outlining were done in gold as well (including stars on Federal Eagle side).

Other pics of the seal if you want to use the non-user detailed version for the game.

Hinkel
04-11-2019, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the new research.

The new flag would require a decent amout of Artist work for several days, so unfortunatly, thats not possible at the moment.
The 2nd Maryland flag will stay, at least for the moment, like I posted above in the screenshot.

Rbater
04-11-2019, 12:07 PM
I will certainly try my hand at a mock up that could be easier for you to use then! But I'm glad I could help, and also happy I found the actual flag.

Rbater
04-13-2019, 04:33 AM

Rbater
04-15-2019, 03:25 AM
Looking for someone to help me create the banners for the actual flag instead of the one I thought was their flag. I'm driving myself insane trying to make a drawing into a nice looking vectored image that's straight and looks like what the real thing is. As you see, I've traced them by hand too many times to count, and it still looks not right. I really suck at art and don't have the capability to create the banners... though I do have what the inside will be.

Hinkel
04-15-2019, 03:39 PM
Just a reminder, if you are trying to draw it by hand.
The pixel size of the actuall flag has to be 2048 x 2048, otherwise the quality won't fit for the game :)
Other companies hired artists for the flag. Such a flag is a huge task (would take 20+ hours) and not possible to do for me right now.

Rbater
04-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Just a reminder, if you are trying to draw it by hand.
The pixel size of the actuall flag has to be 2048 x 2048, otherwise the quality won't fit for the game :)
Other companies hired artists for the flag. Such a flag is a huge task (would take 20+ hours) and not possible to do for me right now.

Gotcha! I only need the banners and writing inside them done. I have the full inside made including the background (the cropping of the background would be after the banners). 1087310874

Matt(Fridge)
04-15-2019, 05:16 PM
Looks really good. Glad Maryland is getting some love here no matter Union or Confederate.

Rbater
04-15-2019, 05:29 PM
Looks really good. Glad Maryland is getting some love here no matter Union or Confederate.

Thanks! Figured I show some love and represent our state (seeing as you live in MD too).

Samuel Dixon
04-16-2019, 03:23 PM
Looking good! Nice work! (I really don't envy you with that flag man... Wow).

Rbater
04-19-2019, 06:41 PM

@Hinkel @TrustyJam Here is my final product. All you guys would need to do is add the writing and change the yellow to the proper gold color.

The top banner should say: "Presented By The State of Maryland To Her 2nd Regt. Vols." The nd, t, and s are all in that smaller type font. The bottom banner should have: "Bull Run. Chantilly. South Mountain." (Starting at the left and not being spaced out to take up the whole banner. Spaced as a normal sentence). All the lettering is in gold. Same should go for the flip side on the Federal Eagle. The stars should be gold and the banner underneath the Eagle should read as such: " 2nd REGT. Md. | Volunteer | Infantry." The d is also in the lower type font. All can be seen on the original pictures I included above.

Please and thank you since it irks me having the wrong Regimental Colors in game :)

Here it is without the flag background for edits: 10883

Hinkel
05-23-2019, 05:11 PM
Just giving a small feedback:

Sadly its not possible to use your work as a reference, since the banner you created is to small to fit on our flags. It would be to blurry and low res, to have it featured on the flags.
The final product has to be at least 5 times as big, before it has the quality for our ingame flags. Your resolution is 450 x 250, while I need more then 2.000 x 1.000 for the ingame variant.

But thank you for your try.

Rbater
05-23-2019, 07:35 PM
I will try to get it larger for you!

Rbater
05-25-2019, 11:17 PM
@Hinkel Here is a link for a larger version. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YaVRTWjgyiMPmQ_fvYlLaZV3KJeePNAG/view?usp=sharing Of course it still needs the work as mentioned above, but this at least fits what you need to work on it for the game.

This one should be 2800 by 1575 pixels with a 300 ppi resolution. :)