PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year: Artillery Progress Update

TrustyJam
12-27-2019, 06:04 PM
Hello everyone!

We hope you all had a nice Christmas and that you are now looking forward to a new decade of PC gaming as much as we here at Campfire Games are!

We realize there’s a lot of interest about how the development of artillery, one of the core features of War of Rights is shaping up and so we thought it a good idea to give you a brief rundown of some of the issues still keeping us from releasing the first version of it as well as a video showcasing two of our developers interacting with a cannon in a networked environment. The video displays a number of issues (and misses quite a few as well), some more serious than others that should make it clear why artillery is not yet released to the public.

(Note that the 2nd shot was the first time we actually tried to aim the cannon at the firing range target - we thought that went pretty well!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fCqHF3-ooU

As you can see in the video above, a number of animation issues are currently present - both in regards to general animation polish but also in relation to characters turning invisible for a period of time after having left the different positions of the cannon as well as characters currently glitching out when the cannon is moving over an uneven/sloped ground, sometimes resulting in falling through the ground (not shown in the video).

One of the major things that still need to be implemented is the ability to pick up shells from the limber chests (hence why an invisible shell was loaded into the gun in the video above).

While we do have firing sounds for the artillery we’re currently lacking most other sounds related to manipulating the piece.

That being said, we hope you will agree with us that the development of the first version of artillery is indeed headed in the right direction.

We will continue to push on in order to get it out to you all as soon as possible. Until then, we would like to wish you a very happy new year and also thank you for supporting the development of the alpha for yet another year.

We would also like to welcome the many new players who have decided to fill the ranks during the Steam Winter Sale - we are happy to have you and we hope you’ll enjoy the alpha and its great community.

We can’t wait to see what 2020 has in store for the development of WoR!

Lord Drax
12-27-2019, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the update; many units are eagerly waiting to test

Spud
12-27-2019, 06:27 PM
:cool: Nice 2nd shot!

McMuffin
12-27-2019, 06:48 PM
Will we have tools for aiming?

TrustyJam
12-27-2019, 06:50 PM
Will we have tools for aiming?

It's not planned to be a part of the first version of artillery, no.

As you can see in the video it is possible to hit what you're aiming for whitout rear sights. :P

- Trusty

Oleander
12-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Looks good so far! I know you don't like committing to timelines, but is it safe to say we're probably at least a month or two away from release?

TrustyJam
12-27-2019, 06:56 PM
Looks good so far! I know you don't like committing to timelines, but is it safe to say we're probably at least a month or two away from release?

It's practically impossible to say. We hope to have it out as soon as possible - there's one super nasty programming issue where all placed cannon entities have to get deleted and replaced in order for the build to work again if but a tiny bit of the artillery code has been updated.

Until that is fixed there's no way I'm going to start placing cannon entities on the different skirmish areas. :P

We're also not quite sure what timeframe we're looking at in regards to getting the limbers workable.

- Trusty

McMuffin
12-27-2019, 06:57 PM
It's not planned to be a part of the first version of artillery, no.

As you can see in the video it is possible to hit what you're aiming for whitout rear sights. :P

- Trusty

Ah, thanks for the info.

And while that is possible, let me know how well you can aim when it gets further out and those targets get real small.

Stone
12-27-2019, 09:18 PM
I am curios about the amount of recoil there. Is this more of a soft balance to keep artillery in check?

PAIOLETTI
12-27-2019, 09:19 PM
BOOM! II Corps is ready to test.

TrustyJam
12-27-2019, 09:21 PM
I am curios about the amount of recoil there. Is this more of a soft balance to keep artillery in check?

None of the stuff has been fine tuned (that will be done after the release when we have more feedback from players using it). :)

I've seen a few videos of cannons firing full loads with quite a lot of recoil however. Are you sure you're not thinking of blank firing cannons (often seen in hollywood movies)?

- Trusty

THEequalsGAMER
12-27-2019, 09:32 PM
Thank you for the update, Are the range size going to be increased, What happen if you get hit with recoil

Stone
12-27-2019, 09:32 PM
No I was basing it off of the Civil War Cannon shooting competitions. I know part of it deals on amount of powder charge and shell weight which I know is too early for all that. Thank you for the quick reply Trusty.

Galahad
12-27-2019, 09:47 PM
Thank you for Vid Dev's. You know guys are salivating waiting for it.

Oleander
12-27-2019, 09:50 PM
No I was basing it off of the Civil War Cannon shooting competitions. I know part of it deals on amount of powder charge and shell weight which I know is too early for all that. Thank you for the quick reply Trusty.

A lot of those competitions don't require full loads, there can be quite a lot of variation in the amount of powder used.

LeFuret
12-27-2019, 10:00 PM
Good video, the progress is there. But there are still a lot of issues, sadly :/

Stone
12-27-2019, 10:20 PM
A lot of those competitions don't require full loads, there can be quite a lot of variation in the amount of powder used.
That's why I said I know amount of powder and shell weight effect it. I am by no means not unhappy about what I seen. I'm just trying to get an idea on limits that we will have in place. For an example I don't expect canister to reach out to 400 yards. If it did we would have no reason to use any other shot type at the moment with most of the maps. I am extremely grateful for what we have and I look forward to seeing so much more. If they can get the one bug fixed I'd be ecstatic even if we only got them on the drill camps for now.

A. P. Hill
12-27-2019, 10:20 PM
Just as a reference to recoil.

This video, is firing full service rounds of canister for historical purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86XhYS8GJI

Note this is a 12lb napoleon … not a 3 inch ordnance as in the game.

Here's a 10lb Parrott, similar to the 3 inch ordnance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=QAZbF6MbJ2s&feature=emb_logo

Stone
12-27-2019, 10:30 PM
Just as a reference to recoil.

This video, is firing full service rounds of canister for historical purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86XhYS8GJI

Note this is a 12lb napoleon … not a 3 inch ordnance as in the game.

Aye that is one situation. There are also videos of 10 pound parrots firing bolt at 1000 yards and a 30 pound parrot that fires case at over a mile both hardly moving with no stoppers. Also not 3in ordinance rifles. Either way I'm just happy that we are seeing massive progress.

Oleander
12-27-2019, 11:10 PM
More shots of 10pd Parrotts.

https://youtu.be/Tl-TfCmVbPQ

Oleander
12-27-2019, 11:16 PM
Aye that is one situation. There are also videos of 10 pound parrots firing bolt at 1000 yards and a 30 pound parrot that fires case at over a mile both hardly moving with no stoppers. Also not 3in ordinance rifles. Either way I'm just happy that we are seeing massive progress.

A note on the 30pd rifle is it is significantly heavier than a 10pd rifle. I don't have the tube weight in front of me, but it comes with a larger carriage as well, so less recoil isn't surprising.

Stone
12-28-2019, 12:16 AM
Not sure if this is any help to the Devs but some others might enjoy it too. It covers smoothbore first then rifled guns later. http://www.civilwarartillery.com/books/RobertsHandBookofArtillery.htm#P2s2Guns

scroll back to the top for the table of contents

GeorgeCrecy
12-28-2019, 12:38 AM
Not sure if this is any help to the Devs but some others might enjoy it too. It covers smoothbore first then rifled guns later. http://www.civilwarartillery.com/books/RobertsHandBookofArtillery.htm#P2s2Guns

scroll back to the top for the table of contents

Hey there Stone,

Not to worry, we have long before been referencing and using artillery manuals as you linked above. The only thing left now is just waiting for the code to be done and tested.

dab201
12-28-2019, 01:18 AM
Over Hill over Dale we hit the dusty trail and those caissons go rolling along.
In and out hear them shout counter march and right about and the caissons go rolling along.

For its High High he in the field artillery shout out your numbers loud and strong 2 3 4 . for where ever you go you will always know that the caissons go rolling along.

BOOM! ARTILLERY!

RED LEGS!

Leifr
12-28-2019, 11:27 AM
Great work.

Sally
12-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Looks great already guys, properly inspiring!