PDA

View Full Version : War of Rights 40% off! Cavalry & Artillery Progress Report

TrustyJam
01-23-2020, 06:15 PM
Wor is currently 40% off!

We're also showing you some cavalry as well as artillery progress over at: https://steamcommunity.com/games/424030/announcements/detail/1709614218556262225

- Trusty

Saris
01-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Epic, based, and horse pilled

McMuffin
01-23-2020, 06:20 PM
Will we be able to see commanders using horses before the full on cavalry branch so it could provide some testing and feedback for you but let us use it before the full cavalry release?

TrustyJam
01-23-2020, 06:26 PM
Will we be able to see commanders using horses before the full on cavalry branch so it could provide some testing and feedback for you but let us use it before the full cavalry release?

That is very much the current plan for the initial implementation of horses, yes. :)

- Trusty

McMuffin
01-23-2020, 06:31 PM
That is very much the current plan for the initial implementation of horses, yes. :)

- Trusty

Nice.

Olafson
01-23-2020, 06:59 PM
Those breast straps for the horses are wrong. They are a reenactorism.

Other than that, looks really good tho.

TrustyJam
01-23-2020, 07:07 PM
Those breast straps for the horses are wrong. They are a reenactorism.

Other than that, looks really good tho.

Thanks for the feedback. :) I've put George on the case.

- Trusty

RhettVito
01-23-2020, 07:12 PM
Can't wait!

Olafson
01-23-2020, 07:37 PM
I read the memoires of a cavarly man who complained about them not being issued anything to prevent the saddle from sliding backwards. He comments that many of his men tried to use the Surcingle as a sort of breast strap, but that it did not work very well. Its a variation I was thinking about doing for BCoF, so if you feel like you are missing something without the heart breaststraps, maybe thats an option.

GeorgeCrecy
01-23-2020, 08:05 PM
I read the memoires of a cavarly man who complained about them not being issued anything to prevent the saddle from sliding backwards. He comments that many of his men tried to use the Surcingle as a sort of breast strap, but that it did not work very well. Its a variation I was thinking about doing for BCoF, so if you feel like you are missing something without the heart breaststraps, maybe thats an option.

Hey there Olafson,

Breast straps were certainly not officially issued out, as you mentioned. With the design of the McClellan it was expected that the combination of the cinch straps and the surcingle would be enough along with the crupper to maintain stability. However, many officers - and a good amount of enlisted as well - commissioned civilian models to be made for themselves, as evidenced in various photographs and Harpers Weekly woodcuts from the period linked below.

You are also correct that sometimes, they just didn't have them! Here is an example of one of the drawings showing that:

So we will ensure there are some variants in the game that do not have a breast collar, but there was certainly a moderate amount that did have them through their own purchase.

MadWolf
01-23-2020, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the report, I can't wait till we have arty in-game.
The horses look really good!:D

Olafson
01-23-2020, 08:41 PM
Fair point, for officers it would definetly be in the realm of possibility to have them. Personally I wouldn't give them to enlisted men, but if you found proof that they did use them, then thats fine of course. Thanks.

Leifr
01-23-2020, 08:42 PM
Excellent, and wonderful news.

Mogyoro15
01-23-2020, 09:49 PM
Are there any guesses as to how much server pop will be raised to once artillery is implemented?

Sgt.Nightfire
01-23-2020, 10:23 PM
I see the website is down, is it being updated or something?

TrustyJam
01-23-2020, 10:27 PM
I see the website is down, is it being updated or something?

No our website server host shut it down automatically due to too much spam/traffic coming off of it apparently.

We've been waiting several hours for their support to get back to us (looks like it won't happen today).

- Trusty

Sgt.Nightfire
01-23-2020, 10:31 PM
You guys finally get more people being interested in the game and your host gets triggered automatically, rofl. "this aint normal! SHUTDOWN!"

TrustyJam
01-23-2020, 10:34 PM
You guys finally get more people being interested in the game and your host gets triggered automatically, rofl. "this aint normal! SHUTDOWN!"

We've not been able to pinpoint any spam/huge amount of data so we're waiting on their support to send us some details about it.

But I strongly doubt that is the case even though it did go down 2 minutes after I posted the announcement on Steam. :P

- Trusty

Poorlaggedman
01-23-2020, 10:59 PM
Doesn't a horse require AI to some extent to account for riderless horses? Unless no scenario exists where a horse can be separated from the rider (they both drop with a shot to either one, etc).

TrustyJam
01-23-2020, 11:01 PM
Doesn't a horse require AI to some extent to account for riderless horses? Unless no scenario exists where a horse can be separated from the rider (they both drop with a shot to either one, etc).

Yes, a simplistic pathing system is going to be needed for that.

- Trusty

Olafson
01-24-2020, 01:02 PM
But... Will you have mules?

TrustyJam
01-24-2020, 02:24 PM
But... Will you have mules?

Mules are cool!

- Trusty

Stone
01-24-2020, 04:04 PM
@TrustyJam we ran an artillery drill last week and I'm hoping we will run another this week. I'd like to send an invitation to you if we do it would be nice to have a developer there for some of the discussions we have.

A. P. Hill
01-24-2020, 04:45 PM
Mules are required to hitch to the many quartermaster wagons we see throughout the various maps. :)

Ghost30
01-24-2020, 10:09 PM
You are too kind to us trusty

man I love cavalry

Oleander
01-26-2020, 03:57 AM
There are two images of Lee on Traveler and there are no breast straps at all. I did find one image of a Captain around 1863 that had breast straps and then the image of Sherman in 1864 shows a breastplate. From what I gather it was more a mid to late war thing. But even then pictures from the Span-Am war don't show them at all. So yeah.

A. P. Hill
01-26-2020, 07:11 PM
It is important to note what Mr. Crecy said about saddles with breast strapping.

It was a requirement of the McClellan saddle. And there is no doubt that the McClellan saddle had a major use and popularity in the North. Not so much in the South.

That being said, captured union horses with tack may well include the McClellan saddle.

Breast straps clearly seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMWFvQ1VBvo

Typical Confederate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp1XufKoUj4

Billy-Jim-Bob-Jr
01-30-2020, 07:50 PM
Can we steal the stupid yankee's horses?

Poorlaggedman
01-30-2020, 11:07 PM
You might find this interesting since there's so few photos of Confederate cavalry available. Waud was pretty good and apparently had enough clout to cross lines on occasion, the drawings he did compared to photographs were really close. This one actually in September 1862.

https://www.loc.gov/resource/ppmsca.21554/

He also wrote about this sketch describing the 1st Virginia Cavalry's appearance on page 618. September 27th Harper's Weekly in the article at the bottom of the page in the same issue it was published titled "The First Virginia Cavalry."

https://archive.org/details/harpersweeklyv6bonn/page/618/mode/1up

jtsams3647
02-07-2020, 12:03 AM
Can't wait until cav and artillery!!

Broos
02-09-2020, 07:16 PM
Cannot wait for the horses!

Grudge Bringer
02-09-2020, 07:55 PM
Cannot wait for the horses!

I can't wait for cav! And Artillary! Ahhh

PB-[19thVA]Qms. Dude
02-11-2020, 07:41 PM
Can't wait to see Cavalry on the field!

Shrimp
03-13-2020, 05:15 PM
Over a month later... crickets.

Vankovski
03-14-2020, 05:58 PM
Over a month later... crickets.

Crickets? I thought they were working on birds!

Saris
03-14-2020, 06:16 PM
Crickets? I thought they were working on birds!

Idk about that, the rocks have gone a long way

MK81
03-17-2020, 11:40 AM
I can remember the birds and also the squirrels in the woods when WoRs just had the Drill camp official servers. You could use them as target practice when there was little else going on.

Wonder if all of these digital nuggets will be coming back?

Reznikov12
03-19-2020, 12:13 AM
I can remember the birds and also the squirrels in the woods when WoRs just had the Drill camp official servers. You could use them as target practice when there was little else going on.

Wonder if all of these digital nuggets will be coming back?

I remember that too, as well as corn field animations

Leifr
03-19-2020, 05:31 PM
Yup.

A. P. Hill
03-19-2020, 11:48 PM
Just one of many.

MK81
03-20-2020, 12:03 PM
I remember that too, as well as corn field animations

I asked about the corn animations when it stopped moving, CFG folk told me that they were waiting from a "technical supplier" (I can't remember the exact phrasing) to provide a fix. That was years ago and I didn't follow it up. I assume there is a mythical development version of WoRs in CFG control with moving corn, squirrels running, birds flying, turkeys hopping and probably other environmental gems all waiting to get more online time.

TrustyJam
03-21-2020, 04:08 AM
I asked about the corn animations when it stopped moving, CFG folk told me that they were waiting from a "technical supplier" (I can't remember the exact phrasing) to provide a fix. That was years ago and I didn't follow it up. I assume there is a mythical development version of WoRs in CFG control with moving corn, squirrels running, birds flying, turkeys hopping and probably other environmental gems all waiting to get more online time.

The boid system of the engine broke when we updated to cryengine V (as did vegetation touch bending) so that's why the above features are no longer part of the game. :)

- Trusty

MK81
03-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Ah, that'll be that there 'boid system' (no idea, but sounds interesting). Cheers Trusty, good to know.

It was a nice feature at the time to see the corn move but we didn't get to see it in combat so not an issue for me. So about those sqirrels then...

Oleander
03-23-2020, 02:11 AM
So...how 'bout those cannons?

TrustyJam
03-23-2020, 02:31 AM
So...how 'bout those cannons?

https://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?102-War-of-Rights-Screenshots-amp-Videos&p=100884&viewfull=1#post100884

- Trusty

Poorlaggedman
03-23-2020, 02:36 AM
Screw cannons. Implement disease. It's more realistic and will help people relate to a game like WoR

Bl1zzt3r
11-14-2020, 10:39 AM
Any updates as to the progress of the cavalry branch?

Jigsaw
11-15-2020, 05:41 AM
I think they prefer we forget they ever said there was going to be cav.

Bl1zzt3r
11-15-2020, 04:50 PM
Nonsense! They have already shown in-game screenshots of cavalry so I don't think that it should be too much longer before we see or hear about it next I just wanted to ask how much farther they have gone or when it is that we can expect an update.

Jigsaw
11-17-2020, 02:32 AM
Nonsense! They have already shown in-game screenshots of cavalry so I don't think that it should be too much longer before we see or hear about it next I just wanted to ask how much farther they have gone or when it is that we can expect an update.

Ok, so those screenshots were back in January. Some 11 months ago, so it's not nonsense as you say to assume nothing is being done, especially when actual updates to the game have been nil since artillery was implemented four months ago. Where's one word of progress on any of it since then? We've asked here on the forums a few times but no information is given. The closest thing to an answer from the devs is, "Ooo-wee check out the platform system!." There hasn't even been any mention of musicians in a good long while either. As far as I view it, nothing said equals nothing done

Where are musicians? We got "screenshots" of those three years ago. Again nothing said equals nothing done.

Bl1zzt3r
11-17-2020, 12:54 PM
You make me sad.

Jigsaw
11-17-2020, 09:14 PM
That’s unfortunate.

Ryancito
01-20-2021, 03:27 AM
Epic can't wait!

Bl1zzt3r
01-22-2021, 02:11 AM
Any updates lads? I know I bother y'all every second in-game about it just a screenshot of a horse would suffice!

Jigsaw
02-11-2021, 09:47 PM
They’re not working on it. If they were, they’d say. They haven’t even fixed what’s already there.

TrustyJam
02-11-2021, 11:56 PM
They’re not working on it. If they were, they’d say. They haven’t even fixed what’s already there.

It's in production. We'll talk more about it when we have something cool to show.

- Trusty

Shiloh
02-14-2021, 09:09 PM
It's in production. We'll talk more about it when we have something cool to show.

- Trusty

One question... will cavalry have the ability to dismount and have a trooper hold the horses?

Bl1zzt3r
02-15-2021, 02:44 AM
One question... will cavalry have the ability to dismount and have a trooper hold the horses?

OMG Yes! I've been hoping that horse holders are a feature we already drill with that in mind.

Shiloh
02-16-2021, 04:32 PM
OMG Yes! I've been hoping that horse holders are a feature we already drill with that in mind.

It would be key in mind. I'm curious as to how you drill in that way.

Bl1zzt3r
02-16-2021, 06:37 PM
It would be key in mind. I'm curious as to how you drill in that way.

Historically troopers within a platoon were placed in a squad of 4 men, each man having been numbered 1 - 4 and this would dictate the place within the formation they would be. When it came to battle upon the command of dismounting for battle the number 4's would remain behind the skirmish line with the horses (note there would also be a platoon mounted with sabers drawn acting as a reserve or support unit should they be required.) When it comes to our drill we do the same keep troopers who are numbered 4 behind the line remaining with the "Horses" (officers)

Shiloh
02-21-2021, 02:12 PM
Historically troopers within a platoon were placed in a squad of 4 men, each man having been numbered 1 - 4 and this would dictate the place within the formation they would be. When it came to battle upon the command of dismounting for battle the number 4's would remain behind the skirmish line with the horses (note there would also be a platoon mounted with sabers drawn acting as a reserve or support unit should they be required.) When it comes to our drill we do the same keep troopers who are numbered 4 behind the line remaining with the "Horses" (officers)

That’s very impressive! I may reach out to you in the future as we build and see if we can set up a joint drill to share ideas if that’s okay.

Bl1zzt3r
02-21-2021, 03:45 PM
That’s very impressive! I may reach out to you in the future as we build and see if we can set up a joint drill to share ideas if that’s okay.

Would be a pleasure.

Neoba55
08-24-2021, 04:42 AM
And here we are, almost 2 years later, and the horse isn't in game. My only guess is that the WoR dev team have great modelers, but very few scripters.

Sox
08-24-2021, 12:10 PM
I'm curious, and since this seems to be a question nobody else has asked here goes: Even with 75 men per side, how are you hoping to fill all of these proposed new 'branches' without a damaging draining away of Infantry? Before the advent of Artillery the skirmish battlefields were hardly what you could call densly packed with Infantrymen, now some of those players are needed for artillery, and then later on for Cavalry & it seems like an unrealistic expectation to me, with so few players for each side.

Blondie
08-28-2021, 08:50 PM
I'm curious, and since this seems to be a question nobody else has asked here goes: Even with 75 men per side, how are you hoping to fill all of these proposed new 'branches' without a damaging draining away of Infantry? Before the advent of Artillery the skirmish battlefields were hardly what you could call densly packed with Infantrymen, now some of those players are needed for artillery, and then later on for Cavalry & it seems like an unrealistic expectation to me, with so few players for each side.

These new said branches will most likely have a player cap. For example, as it currently is, the in game sharpshooter and cavalry units are limited to around 12 men.