PDA

View Full Version : Federal Infantry Junior Officer Footwear Question

Poorlaggedman
04-07-2020, 06:19 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has a good grasp on the frequency of junior officers wearing high boots vs wearing brogans? Would Captains be more likely to than Lieutenants or was it merely what they were willing to dole out of their paycheck?

I've found a mixture in photos but I'm otherwise pretty and initial research hasn't came up with much at all.

Thanks

SwingKid148
04-07-2020, 07:46 PM
It was all private purchased for officers. Officers had to purchase their uniforms in one way or another and up to preference.

Poorlaggedman
04-07-2020, 08:21 PM
I wonder though if there was a directive whereby enlisted could not wear high boots but officers could.

SwingKid148
04-07-2020, 08:36 PM
I wonder though if there was a directive whereby enlisted could not wear high boots but officers could.

Some enlisted would wear boots as well but they would be private purchased. Similar to civilian shirts, vest, hats, etc. that were worn.

A. P. Hill
04-07-2020, 10:11 PM
https://archive.org/stream/armyregulations04deptgoog?ref=ol#page/n452/mode/1up

Poorlaggedman
04-08-2020, 04:00 AM
Well the regs also say that all soldiers should wear frock coats but we know that didn't happen. I'm just wondering about practical application. What was the likelihood a junior officer would wear high boots vs not.

A. P. Hill
04-08-2020, 03:00 PM
Pretty sure most junior officers would have brogans. Boots as a rule were not conducive to foot marching.

Again as was stated as true earlier, officers had to supply their own.

Kyle422
04-09-2020, 09:48 PM
As it is now back then money talks. Officers made a bit more and could purchase such things. There are groupings that I have seen where a Sgt got promoted to a 2nd LT. The Sgt now 2ndLT went and bought a hardee hat with all the bells and whistles. Then he went and purchased a frock with a velvet collar "pretty expensive back then" and even had knee high boots. So officers pay let them splurge. But from personal experience tall boots are a bitch to walk a lot of miles in. But some did it anyways

Poorlaggedman
04-10-2020, 02:22 AM
Well hell, I might as well show you what I'm dealing with. I'm finishing up my Harvest of Death project and I'm trying to determine whether was likely an officer or not in part of the photo.

There's two points of consideration since his shoulder is not visible.

#1 He's definitely wearing a vest under his frock coat.
#2 His pants are scrunched up in a peculiar way as if he had been wearing high boots. The bodies of the four other enlisted men nearby don't show that.

I uploaded cropped images of each part, check them out. Forum won't let me display .tif files

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11PDgNoS-26hWETHslZJbHzRcoAcWISIH