PDA

View Full Version : Public Test: Artillery - Now Open!

TrustyJam
06-17-2020, 03:59 PM
https://i.imgur.com/SCl6e4J.jpg

Hello everyone.

Today, we’re extremely happy to be able to invite every owner of War of Rights to partake in the public test branch of the long awaited artillery update!

In order to partake, all you have to do is right click War of Rights in your Steam library, head into its properties and locate the “betas” tab. There you will be able to select the public test branch from the dropdown menu.

Please note that you will not be able to play on the live game servers nor be able to see them in the server browser until you opt out of the public test branch again.

The artillery update consists of many months of work - it is by far our biggest update to date. No mass testing has yet been done (this is why we need you guys!). As such, a large number of issues should be expected when partaking in the public test: incomplete features, client crashes, server crashes, skewed team balance, visual issues to name but a few. The public test server is also not guaranteed to be online 24/7 during the testing period.

There is currently no end date to the public test. This will depend entirely on how the test goes. We expect to cycle to different battlefields & drill camps throughout the testing period.

The artillery update is featuring more additions and changes than just the introduction of the artillery branch: Major overhauls to all of the forests in the game, reworked lighting, most materials of the game reworked, overhauled town assets, updated animations, etc.

A complete changelog (or as complete as we can muster, we are bound to miss a lot of things given the scope of the update) will be posted when the artillery update is released onto the live build of the game.

Known artillery issues

1) It is currently impossible to stow a round in the limber chest if you have picked one up. We’ve decided to go with a stow feature instead of a drop feature as the latter will be highly trollable.

2) The rounds inside a limber chest are currently invisible in the first skirmish area you join. They will come back into view once you interact with them or when the next skirmish area starts.

3) The rounds inside a limber chest currently have a chance of appearing as if they are shaking.

4) The cannons and limbers feature rather basic collision meshes currently. This can result in some interesting results.

That’s all for now. We can’t wait to partake in the very first public artillery test with you all!

RhettVito
06-17-2020, 04:07 PM
its alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A. P. Hill
06-17-2020, 04:09 PM
Well, sort of, it's alive in the test build only. :D

Shrimp
06-17-2020, 04:13 PM
Oh my God! It's happening!

Spud
06-17-2020, 04:15 PM
Requesting permission to go 'squee' in a really loud exciting and totally embarrassing way? before waiting 3+ hours for my 'super fast fibre' to download it....

TRaider
06-17-2020, 04:49 PM
Congrats! Glad we are seeing progress finally, though I can't even load in I just CTD every time while trying to load into the test server.

TrustyJam
06-17-2020, 04:52 PM
Congrats! Glad we are seeing progress finally, though I can't even load in I just CTD every time while trying to load into the test server.

Thank you for the report - we've verified the issue and are investigating it.

- Trusty

TwistedDNA
06-17-2020, 05:03 PM
I can't opt in. I get all the way to the splash screen where textures load, then CTD. Game is still running collapsed. But will not open.

I7 9700 paired with a 2080RTX, 16 gig ram.

Awesome news on arty. I have been watching Cody's stream, looks awesome.

TRaider
06-17-2020, 05:10 PM
Thank you for the report - we've verified the issue and are investigating it.

- Trusty

Thanks I finally did get in after doing a reinstall but getting very low FPS maybe 10-15 on very high and same on low settings.

I7-7770K
RTX 2080 Super
32gb DDR4 3200 Ram

I mean it's a test so I expect there to be issues just to want to report if it helps you guys

csheffield1
06-17-2020, 05:40 PM
Oh my god this is cancer...

Why would you put the beta onto a (single, why not multiple drill camps) skirmish server if you intended to actually test the artillery and not create a giant cluster fuck...

This game has been screwed for a year or so now, this just reinforces the idea that WoR is pure shit, nothing like we were promised.

Remove my comment Trusty, idc, you've lost a large portion of the community that won't come back...

:mad:

TwistedDNA
06-17-2020, 05:41 PM
I finally got in, was on the union, the rebs charged the who time making it impossible to test arty. Ill have a go on private servers. There are too many retards in this game to do a proper test on a public server.

Dutchconfederate
06-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Is there only one server? I crash on the loading screens so I would not know. Restart - fresh install does not seem to help getting me in thus my question.
Are we able to rent a private server for this test branch?

TrustyJam
06-17-2020, 05:55 PM
Only one server for this test, yes.

- Trusty

Dutchconfederate
06-17-2020, 06:10 PM
Only one server for this test, yes.

- Trusty

Not adding a EU server for this test?

Maximus Decimus Meridius
06-17-2020, 06:26 PM
finally! thank you for your hard work.

I was able to take a short look at the artillery and it's awesome. You guys did a good job even it took a eternity :D

But I noticed a strange sound bug:

I was able to hear a confed soldier in his spawn while i was an union artillery soldier.

TrustyJam
06-17-2020, 06:30 PM
finally! thank you for your hard work.

I was able to take a short look at the artillery and it's awesome. You guys did a good job even it took a eternity :D

But I noticed a strange sound bug:

I was able to hear a confed soldier in his spawn while i was an union artillery soldier.

Cheers. :)

Yes, there's currently a global voice issue.

- Trusty

Occasional Win
06-17-2020, 06:30 PM
Testing like this in 1 public server is a really bad idea. If you want real testing and feedback, roll this out to the units on their private servers so that they can test it properly without being TK'd by pubs, charged by infantry and other fun happenings. Or leave it as it is if your only goal was to show that you pushed out the "update".

Draco8x25
06-17-2020, 06:37 PM
Oh my god this is cancer...

Why would you put the beta onto a (single, why not multiple drill camps) skirmish server if you intended to actually test the artillery and not create a giant cluster fuck...

This game has been screwed for a year or so now, this just reinforces the idea that WoR is pure shit, nothing like we were promised.

Remove my comment Trusty, idc, you've lost a large portion of the community that won't come back...

:mad:

This isn't a massive mess, its artillery, its out, stop bitching. Yes there are problems with the test but its just that. A TEST. We finally get artillery and your calling the game shit because you only got one server. STOP COMPLAINING JUST BE FUCKING HAPPY FOR ONCE. The hundreds of players who get on for events is a testament to the fact many still have faith in the game. If you think its shit just leave, don't sit around and keep complaining, don't ruin the game for everyone else.

LeFuret
06-17-2020, 06:45 PM
Thank you very much devs! Better way late than never :p ! Good job!

I was able to have a go with it, but it's not easy to make a proper test in these conditions. I'm gonna wait for the release!

STOTS
06-17-2020, 06:49 PM
This isn't a massive mess, its artillery, its out, stop bitching. Yes there are problems with the test but its just that. A TEST. We finally get artillery and your calling the game shit because you only got one server. STOP COMPLAINING JUST BE FUCKING HAPPY FOR ONCE. The hundreds of players who get on for events is a testament to the fact many still have faith in the game. If you think its shit just leave, don't sit around and keep complaining, don't ruin the game for everyone else.

Nothing is being tested like this, it should have went to the drill servers.

TwistedDNA
06-17-2020, 06:58 PM

The arty server is a massive mess. Teams charging each other nonstop so it is impossible to test arty properly. TKing to use the cannons. As of now, the arty server is a shit show, so no real testing can go on. Devs were on when I was, and did nothing to encourage arty testing, nor did they hand out warnings or bans for Tking.

Private servers will be the only way to test, as their are just too many imbeciles in this game on public play servers.

TrustyJam
06-17-2020, 07:08 PM
The arty server is a massive mess. Teams charging each other nonstop so it is impossible to test arty properly. TKing to use the cannons. As of now, the arty server is a shit show, so no real testing can go on. Devs were on when I was, and did nothing to encourage arty testing, nor did they hand out warnings or bans for Tking.

Private servers will be the only way to test, as their are just too many imbeciles in this game on public play servers.

The testing server does its job from a developer perspective. It has already highlighted several serious issues - issues that are now being worked on.

- Trusty

Grumpytoo
06-17-2020, 07:19 PM
The testing server does its job from a developer perspective. It has already highlighted several serious issues - issues that are now being worked on.

- Trusty

Thanks for the update. I feel like Christmas is almost here.

Yeah the test server gonna be a bit of shitshow for now, but I don't care. Progress is progress.

SwingKid148
06-17-2020, 07:49 PM

- Trusty

Already got about 6 error reports in. ;)

So things are being tested.

https://warofrights.com/ErrorReporter

Oleander
06-17-2020, 07:58 PM
Would love to play but every I get to the faction select screen, the game minimizes and becomes unresponsive. RIP me I guess.

Saris
06-17-2020, 08:14 PM
Would love to play but every I get to the faction select screen, the game minimizes and becomes unresponsive. RIP me I guess.

Same here and global chat is pretty annoying

A. P. Hill
06-17-2020, 08:49 PM
It is very likely that some of the players may have to uninstall, clean files, then reinstall. Nothing wrong with that.

Also quick note, as everyone was running around with artillery rounds in their hands and wondering what to do.

The guns need sponged first, sponging only works from the number 1 position.
After sponging, the rounds can be inserted, (only one at a time,) and this is done from the number 2 position. Sponging needs to occur after every shot fired.

Elevation of the tube, and inserting the primer can only happen from the Gunner's position. And can be performed by just about anyone.

The pivoting of the piece, usually performed by the number 3 man, can also be done by anyone. Pivoting can be done at any time, including while being sighted from the gunner's position.

Hope this helps some.

Saris
06-17-2020, 09:31 PM
is there a list of patch notes for this update?

MadWolf
06-17-2020, 09:38 PM
It sure does, thank you, good sir.

I really like the arty so far!! Global chat on the other hand not so much. But I get why it is their atm.

[8thFL(Co.A)] Wadsworth
06-18-2020, 12:16 AM
Glad its finally here. Great job devs!

Oleander
06-18-2020, 04:31 AM
It seems stable for now. Biggest bugs we ran into was a cannon firing a second time while rolling back, shells hitting an object and deflecting straight down, sometimes cannons couldn't be moved, when there is one round left in the limber it wont let you pick it up and guns sliding around. One thing we really need is fine control over elevation and windage, you barely tap the key and raise the barrel quite a bit. One other thing that would be nice in a bounding box for the primer. When you move to the position you think you need to be to clear the wheels you have to prime again, its pretty annoying.

WreckeRalph
06-18-2020, 06:04 AM
I guess my only question is how often are hot fixes going to come out ? I’ve uninstalled the update and the game at least twice and still get stuck in ‘establishing context’.

Da Garden Chair
06-18-2020, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure if this is just me but I can't see the server on the testing branch anymore.

Fancy Sweetroll
06-18-2020, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure if this is just me but I can't see the server on the testing branch anymore.

It crashed during the night and we just had to collect some debug information. It is back up and running now :)

SwingKid148
06-18-2020, 11:53 AM
I guess my only question is how often are hot fixes going to come out ? I’ve uninstalled the update and the game at least twice and still get stuck in ‘establishing context’.

We had some members that had to swap back and forth from the beta mode a few times.

We had some other members that just validating files twice would work for them.

I did a full uninstall, install beta branch only, validate twice, and could log in finally. :)

A few others have noted to lower all graphics settings would work.

RhettVito
06-18-2020, 12:00 PM
Here's a little list of stuff I would think will improve the artillery gameplay. First off I would have to say when the gun recoils anyone standing behind the wheels or behind the gun, in other words, would receive a quick lesson in physics and would be pretty much thrown to the ground and would receive some damage that would stop too many people from corralling around a gun at one time.

With artillery I think a system that calculates for the number of people that are on the server for how many slots can be used by artillery, for instance, I would honestly say that artillery should be at a maximum of 15 people for a 75 man team on a 150 man server that would leave you 60 slots for your Infantry. Now for a 200 man server then that can be bumped up to 20 man artillery per 100 man team. That way you can still have 80 Infantry.
Next up I would say slow down the reload slightly at the current moment I feel like the sponging step is just a little too fast maybe for that to be slightly slow down but that's just a small nitpick.

Another thing I would like to see implemented would be the step to where you have to cover the vent hole with the thumb stall I don't know if that's a planned feature but I know that the pricking the vent is a planned one maybe a little insight on that?. Possibility to load double canister?
The only other thing I could think of would be catastrophic failure and destruction of the artillery themself and fence destruction but that's all planned features. Lastly, cannoneers should have the option to press 1 and not have the sponge in their hand. It's a little crazy when you have 15 people with sponges. but I think that would be balanced out once we have the worm implement in also.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience but I honestly think that class limits with artillery would save public play without it every public battle will be exactly like what was exhibited today

Spud
06-18-2020, 12:08 PM
Firstly my congratulations on implementing a major change to the game. After 14 years doing this in real life I can honestly say that you gentlemen got it pretty close. (No.3 on a Howitzer, although served my time on a Parrott too)

I have a question regarding the elevation screw. More than one of us is having issues with it, as it seems to jump from 50 yards up to 400 yards very very easily. Is this an issues others have had or is this just some of us? i.e.. is it lag/desync or even my mechanical keyboard being a bit awkward? In real life it takes a few turns, you can get a pretty decent degree of precision once you know what you're doing.

Perhaps adding the option for someone to add the pendulum sight for more precise aiming too? (Gunners could choose to use it or not, using it slows the process down but aids in accuracy while not using it mean faster rate of fire but you don't know quite as well where you're aiming?)

Regarding the loading process, as a No.3 myself, well vent prick anyone? I get the whole not wanting someone standing round with a thumbstall for the whole process (the boring part) but a simple one hand up and pierce the bag before the No.4 adds the primer? (might also help people slow their rate of fire so they have a few case shot left for that final push...)

Either way well done gentlemen. I didn't notice very many issues other than not being able to join in. All in all looking forward to runing my guys and gals though battery drills!

edited to add: The rate of fire seems reasonable - given that at present not having to worm first, then wet sponge > dry sponge. 3 shots in 2 minutes or 1 shot per minute are both historically accurate and sustainable, I think the big issue is that so far in testing everyone is going for maximum rate of fire rather than spending time aiming and correcting fall of shot. Adding the extra steps of piercing the bag, the worming, wet sponge then dry sponge etc. adds to the emersion as well as helping conserve shots. I personally don't think slowing down the animations is needed if these added tasks are factored in. Adding the sight and taking the time to aim would cut the rate of fire in half but mean that rather than just throwing shots down range you hit more often...

Once more, thanks gent - good job and keep it up!

TrustyJam
06-18-2020, 12:19 PM
Firstly my congratulations on implementing a major change to the game. After 14 years doing this in real life I can honestly say that you gentlemen got it pretty close. (No.3 on a Howitzer, although served my time on a Parrott too)

I have a question regarding the elevation screw. More than one of us is having issues with it, as it seems to jump from 50 yards up to 400 yards very very easily. Is this an issues others have had or is this just some of us? i.e.. is it lag/desync or even my mechanical keyboard being a bit awkward? In real life it takes a few turns, you can get a pretty decent degree of precision once you know what you're doing.

Thank you! :)

The dynamic fuze system tied to the elevation screw is not only tied to the elevation screw. If it was you'd not be able to account for height differences between you and your target (meaning your round would detonate, say, 100 yards above your target if you were on a steep hill and your target wasn't).

Therefore, the system also casts out a ray from the barrel, hitting the ground and calculating the correct fuze time based on the distance to that ground hit so it can set the fuze correctly to detonate just prior to it hitting the target - until you elevate the barrel (and its cast ray) enough to not hit the ground anymore. Once that happens the fuze length will be calculated based on the elevation angle of the screw and you'll see the jump in range and fuze time.

- Trusty

Spud
06-18-2020, 12:37 PM
Thank you! :)

The dynamic fuze system tied to the elevation screw is not only tied to the elevation screw. If it was you'd not be able to account for height differences between you and your target (meaning your round would detonate, say, 100 yards above your target if you were on a steep hill and your target wasn't).

Therefore, the system also casts out a ray from the barrel, hitting the ground and calculating the correct fuze time based on the distance to that ground hit so it can set the fuze correctly to detonate just prior to it hitting the target - until you elevate the barrel (and its cast ray) enough to not hit the ground anymore. Once that happens the fuze length will be calculated based on the elevation angle of the screw and you'll see the jump in range and fuze time.

- Trusty

Ok now that makes much more sense!

Thank you!

Pasky
06-18-2020, 08:02 PM
Hello! I love the public test so far! Absolutely fantastic! And at least I know who/what to blame when I get hit by an arty shell now!

Now I'm not an expert on how game development works, so please ignore my idea if it wouldn't make much difference.

Anyway, I'd like to make an argument for implementing caps for artillery branch spots for the test. With the numbers the public test has been drawing, applying an artilleryman cap would force greater numbers of people into infantry. With this, it is possible that some bugs, big and small, could be discovered in a variety of areas, from ticket calculations to possible crashes when a line of 40 or 50 guys are wiped by canister. Plus it would give you guys the ability to assess the frequency of TKs by artillery in a normal match.

I know there are good reasons for not applying a cap now, but I thought I'd toss an idea out!

Mogyoro15
06-18-2020, 11:32 PM
Yeah, an artillary cap would definitely help. And once server size is increased to 200, the slots take by artillarymen won’t detract from the space normally occupied by infantryman due to the increased cap size.

Stone
06-20-2020, 01:57 AM
So I've noticed that as soon as the crew starts moving the gun it places the officer out of line and the count down starts. It doesn't matter how close the officer stays to the gun crew. Also noticed that you can not see the artillery hits though the binoculars which makes spotting for a crew hard.

Würm
06-20-2020, 07:04 PM
Here are lists of problems and bugs i encountered while playing, some suggestions and some positive feedback. Ive written in a bit of a hurry so its messy. I also dont know most of the specific terms of the artillery pieces. Here we go...

Ive had the following problems up until now:
-Limber Chest Wagon doesn't stick with the terrain, meaning it floats partially sometimes, could be that this happens to guns too, i only remember seeing it with the carts though.
-Limber Chest Problem of lables of the Rounds already expended showing up. When pressing F on them the picking up animation plays but youve got nothing in your hands afterwards.
-Variation of the Problem above. When pressing F on an empty Lable in the bottom Left corner the animation plays for upper right corner (and also sometimes picks up nothing)
-The interaction Lables are difficult to get to sometimes, meaning you have to stand in an exact spot to be able to interact. Alternatively you (for example) stand in position to insert the round, your colleague isnt done with sponging but the lable for inserting round shows up already. When hes done swiping the barrel and i want to insert the round the lable isnt there anymore even though i havent moved and i have to move around a little.
-The gun (and the people handling it) are half burried. They plop out of the ground sometimes, as if nothig happened.
-People get launched into the air sometimes. Once it was confirmed to me that the person flying acctualy flyed and twice i don't know if it was just my game.
-Guns and wagons slide around sometimes, often when it is being moved by one person and another either joins in or tries to interact with it in different ways (piking up the 'steering mechanism' or spongeing).
-Im not able to shut down the game entirely, meaning i have to restart the PC to launch it again
-Animations are not alinged correctly (but thats a problem that exists for a long time already)

Some suggestions:
-Maybe make it possible for infantry to move the piece as well
-Make it possible for the person on the 'steering meachism' to move the piece forwards and backwars as well (although slower to still encourage team play)
-Take ascending/descending terrain into account with speed.
-Make the smoke of fired cannons visible further (or at least with higher settings, that may introduce exploitation of graphics though)
-Better draw distance
-The limber chest problem needs to be adressed
-As far as im aware artillery officesrs dont get binoculars, but i might be wrong on that.
-Add the possibility to tear down other fences and clear haystacks, that still stand (but maybe not on the 'small' skirmish maps but only on the full map)
-Damage or falling for standing in the way of a recoiling gun
-The possibility of catastrophic failure or random firing of the gun that is increased by improper maintenance and the possibility of explosion of the limber cart if it is too close to a firing gun or exploding shell (a direct hit too off course) and a spark gets in.
-The stick-your-thumb-on-that-hole thing (idk the name of that) also playing inot the point above.
-A way to resuply (but that may come later for the historical battle thing where (i hope) logistics also play a role) as, as ive heard, those batteries expended a shit load of ammunition.
-I think a introduction of some sort of artillery cap can have its pros (but also cons e.g. limiting 'tactical freedom')

The stuff that i love already
-I really love that you simulated the smoke sticking to the ground after firing a gun.
-The moving animations look good (and the other interactions too, if they align correctly)
-It is, as far as i know surprisingly stable
-The artillery rounds flying past are really scary and it gets wonderfully intense if the opposing side barrages you
-The explosion (and impact) effects (on the ground and in the air) look good
-The firing looks really good (if youre close enough)
-The sound of firing is good (although i think it could be louder, especcially if youre close by)
-Its really bloody and the use of the torn appart body model is apropriate too, i think
-The impact of shells on buildings (ive oly seen one photo of that, on dunkers) looks good (although destructible environment would still be a dream of probalby a lot of people coming true)

As a first test run with as i undestand still a lot of rough edges that will be smoothend with the Crash and Bug Reports and Feedback from the community and a lot of stuff that isn't yet implemented this is really good and im very happy with it. The suggestions i made probably cover some of those things that are already planned but not implemented yet and are too just rough ideas.
With best regards
IX-9th NY A VPvt. Würm, ive gotta go test some more

TwistedDNA
06-20-2020, 07:15 PM
Is it possible to map the elevation screw to mouse scroll wheel?

Bradley
06-21-2020, 12:53 AM
-The stick-your-thumb-on-that-hole thing (idk the name of that) also playing inot the point above.

The thumb thingy is called a thumbstall and the hole is called the vent.

Saris
06-21-2020, 02:27 AM
I could go with thumb thingy

Oleander
06-21-2020, 03:35 AM
So far the most annoying parts are the guns sliding around, which happens when you start interacting with the gun while it is moving, not being able to get rounds out of the limber, and the "prime cannon" and "elevation screw" being so close together. The priming wire is a lot better, so is the elevation adjustment.

Würm
06-21-2020, 12:47 PM
The thumb thingy is called a thumbstall and the hole is called the vent.

KyPatriot
06-23-2020, 01:12 AM
I'm loving the Artillery it adds a new spice to the game.

However, I wanted to say I noticed that if you are using binoculars to spot guide shots it's all invisible. If this is already a known issue I apologize for saying it again. But it sort of makes the Artillery Officer useless since he cant see the shot's trail or smoke/impact with binoculars. Me and a few buddies tested this so I hope we aren't the only ones who noticed.

Oleander
06-23-2020, 02:42 AM
There's also a bug where smoke trails are zig zagging making it impossible to know where the rounds are going.

Saris
06-23-2020, 02:45 AM
There's also a bug where smoke trails are zig zagging making it impossible to know where the rounds are going.

along with that, smoke cannot be seen with binocs

TrustyJam
06-23-2020, 02:46 AM
along with that, smoke cannot be seen with binocs

Yeah it's due to the glass shader not working with rendering particles. We'll likely remove the glass from the field glasses in the future.

- Trusty

Dman979
06-23-2020, 09:12 AM
Yeah it's due to the glass shader not working with rendering particles. We'll likely remove the glass from the field glasses in the future.

- Trusty

Will you call them "fields," instead?

Best,
Dman979

Degradatus
06-23-2020, 06:52 PM
I have a question. Are you going tio fix "Establishing context" bug or no? Me and my boys has very big issuies with connecting to the servers

KyPatriot
06-25-2020, 12:02 AM

- Trusty

Ah that makes sense thanks for the reply Trusty. Also any chance you could just remove the shader sooner than later itd make spotting for Artillery so much more fun.

SwingKid148
06-26-2020, 11:20 AM
Ah that makes sense thanks for the reply Trusty. Also any chance you could just remove the shader sooner than later itd make spotting for Artillery so much more fun.

Hopefully they once we get out of the test build. :)

TrustyJam
07-04-2020, 06:12 PM
The Public Test server currently testing the artillery update is now back online!

We've deployed a patch to it containing many fixes.

Some of them are;

- Increased screen shakes when firing (and especially when on the receiving end of) the cannons.

- Animation polish (for both infantry & artillery).

- A possible fix to stop you from picking up already taken rounds (resulting in you picking nothing up).

- Flag bearer spawning fix (you were able to spawn on an out of line flag up until now). Note that the new flag bearer changes are still in effect, meaning you can only deploy on the flag of your regiment.

- Uniform material adjustments (especially for the union blues - they've been darkened generally).

- Fouling on the rifles should now not be at 100% when you've just spawned in.

- Player nametags are now set at their correct height.

Bigfoot
07-04-2020, 10:29 PM
The Public Test server currently testing the artillery update is now back online!

We've deployed a patch to it containing many fixes.

Some of them are;

- Increased screen shakes when firing (and especially when on the receiving end of) the cannons.

- Animation polish (for both infantry & artillery).

- A possible fix to stop you from picking up already taken rounds (resulting in you picking nothing up).

- Flag bearer spawning fix (you were able to spawn on an out of line flag up until now). Note that the new flag bearer changes are still in effect, meaning you can only deploy on the flag of your regiment.

- Uniform material adjustments (especially for the union blues - they've been darkened generally).

- Fouling on the rifles should now not be at 100% when you've just spawned in.

- Player nametags are now set at their correct height.

Unfortunately the server is still not showing up for me. The new music is a welcomed change though!

TrustyJam
07-04-2020, 11:03 PM
Unfortunately the server is still not showing up for me. The new music is a welcomed change though!

It crashed. It is back online. :)

- Trusty

Bigfoot
07-04-2020, 11:22 PM
It crashed. It is back online. :)

- Trusty

Confirmed, thank you for responding quickly.

Oleander
07-05-2020, 01:51 AM
There's two major things that need to be dealt with. One is the sliding issue with cannons, they are still barely moving after you let go and if you grab them again they bounce everywhere. Same thing with limbers, I literally had a limber sling me back 10 feet when i walked up to it to grab a round, no one on it and it wasn't moving.

Second, the UI at the rear of the gun in a pain in the ass. Trying to pick prime or elevate requires you to almost have to look out of the corner of your eye at what you want and if you move a fraction of an inch you still select the wrong one. Same thing on ammo, I've looked at a shell round, barely touched my mouse and grabbed case.

Bradley
07-05-2020, 02:47 AM
I've definitely been in a situation where it was important to be able to quickly prime the gun and fire, but accidentally went to the elevation screw instead.

A. P. Hill
07-05-2020, 05:42 PM
July 4th action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFh6yR8LRIM

Fancy Sweetroll
07-06-2020, 08:36 PM
We just released another update for the artillery test. One of the changes in this update is that artillery rounds should be much easier to grab from the limber.

McMuffin
07-06-2020, 08:51 PM
Can we have a way to drop or put rounds we selected back?

TrustyJam
07-06-2020, 10:10 PM
Can we have a way to drop or put rounds we selected back?

Yes. That is on our todo list. :)

- Trusty

McMuffin
07-07-2020, 04:37 AM
Yes. That is on our todo list. :)

- Trusty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRMgUxwQ7o

Reckless
07-09-2020, 08:13 AM
I See How This Artillery Goes Just Like The 200 Man Servers. Introduced Then Never Comes Back. You Dev's Need To Step Up!

TrustyJam
07-09-2020, 08:30 AM
I See How This Artillery Goes Just Like The 200 Man Servers. Introduced Then Never Comes Back. You Dev's Need To Step Up!

It’s comments like these that really highlight the need for a dedicated test group (perhaps even behind NDA’s) over openly testing things where a consumer mentality is just as likely to prevail as a tester mentality. We’ve made some good observations during the public test branch phase which will likely come in use in the future, the above being one of them. :)

- Trusty

DIABLOG
07-09-2020, 05:35 PM
I honestly think it would be more beneficial to the game and community to go ahead and release the content as an update. Almost no one is playing the test server and everyone I have talked to says it is more of a pain to have to re download the test, and especially people in units that have events and whatnot right after. So I can fairly say I speak for most that the test is fairly stable and I especially, wish to see the content added to the game or see the test made into a different game with one download.

Grumpytoo
07-09-2020, 05:48 PM
It’s comments like these that really highlight the need for a dedicated test group (perhaps even behind NDA’s) over openly testing things where a consumer mentality is just as likely to prevail as a tester mentality. We’ve made some good observations during the public test branch phase which will likely come in use in the future, the above being one of them. :)

- Trusty

You can't please everyone.

Oleander
07-15-2020, 06:12 PM
Some more notes on Artillery:

1. The guns sliding around is annoying. It isn't just related to interacting while the gun is moving, they are moving on their own if the terrain isn't perfectly flat. I've watched a gun slide several feet to the right on the drill range within 30 seconds. I would also recommend making interaction impossible while the gun is moving.

2. Aiming is an annoyance without a rear sight.

3. Its still a pain trying to prime and not interact with the elevation screw.

4. WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO SET OUR OWN FUSES!!

Oleander
07-16-2020, 03:15 AM
Also, three times today I've seen a shell go off beside someone, like beside their heads one went between my legs and did 0 damage. Please fix.

Grimtastic
07-16-2020, 04:00 AM
If we are going for historical accuracy we need to be able to cut fuses. Also after some lengthy tests tonight with the current laser aim system it really negates the use of case due to the fact that that ammo type needs to detonate in front of or above enemy formations. Is it possible to look into removing the current laser setup and allow for fuse adjustment? I think it would make the use of artillery more challenging and involved while allowing for consistency in firing techniques.

1stLT. R_A_T_
07-17-2020, 11:36 PM
Is there anything being done about the rather ridiculous recoil for the guns? Firing the gun and having it recoil a good 25 feet is a little excessive, a 3" gun using a standard 1lb charge doesn't recoil anywhere near that far. Now if you put a 3lb charge down there and fire it, yeah it recoils that far.

Now, my experience in cannons is only observing from a distance as a reenactor, and naturally they're firing blanks, and there's usually nothing bigger than a Napoleon out there. Obviously firing a blank doesn't have the same pressures and stresses as firing a live round, however, its still nothing to shake a stick at. From what I've seen marching past them and watching them out in the field, the guns only recoil about 6 feet if that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hBE5m1h0kc
This is a 3" Parrot firing, only slightly different. At the end, you can see for a brief moment the gun coming to a stop only a few feet from where it started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86XhYS8GJI
This is a 12lb Napoleon firing canister, jump to 7:50 to see a good shot of it firing. It only ends up about 8 or 10 feet from where it started.

A. P. Hill
07-18-2020, 03:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl-TfCmVbPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL13quhcUMw
They put sandbags there for a reason ... and note they're recoiling up hill to boot.

Oleander
07-19-2020, 04:21 AM
This video highlights something I've had concerns over since we first started testing. The blast radius seems really small, there's no way the guy filming, the guy kneeling or the guy to the right would have survived that shot.

https://youtu.be/_evUMH4F_34

Maximus Decimus Meridius
07-19-2020, 11:07 AM
it seems like it went threw the lines and didnt explode.

8th Florida - Hogg
07-19-2020, 06:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS5V2M3HACs the UEC used artillery in their fight this week, was a really fun experience!

N. Noonan
07-19-2020, 06:54 PM
There needs to be more notice that the player is "OUT OF LINE". You barely notice it when you go out of line, it only tells you way at the bottom right corner of the screen. How is the casual player supposed to know and remember to do this? User needs more warning to stay in line, and not out of line.

Bradley
07-19-2020, 10:05 PM
There needs to be more notice that the player is "OUT OF LINE". You barely notice it when you go out of line, it only tells you way at the bottom right corner of the screen. How is the casual player supposed to know and remember to do this? User needs more warning to stay in line, and not out of line.

Press 'T' to check. In time you won't need to, anymore.

Bigfoot
07-20-2020, 03:06 AM
Press 'T' to check. In time you won't need to, anymore.

Any reason why the NCO markers are gone now? I've played many hours since the update and haven't seen the NCO markers pop up anymore.

Quaker
07-30-2020, 12:56 PM

Exactly.

WoR needs lots of prompts like this to help tighten up gameplay for a more consistent experience - especially with new public players who feel overwhelmed about all the rules re formational fighting.

The ‘Out of Line’ prompt shouldn’t be hard-to-see text in the corner. Ideally it should be an AI verbal prompt informing the soldier they’re now OOL “Hey soldier, back in line”.

Or at least if it is text it should be in-your-face.

It can happen to experienced players too when their comrades in line are shot and they find themselves in Skirmish mode without realizing it.

Overall, the game has come leaps and bounds with direction and commands, but we still need more. Pressing T all the time kills the immersion and the gameplay feels information-sparse. Sometimes too much realism does more harm than good.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
07-30-2020, 04:46 PM
but a more prominent Out of Line marker would kill the immersion which is one of the best parts of the game.

A short tutorial which explains the basics would be much better

SwingKid148
11-16-2020, 11:12 AM
When will the TK system be implemented with artillery?

The numbers of trolls makes the public play unbearable at times.

Leifr
01-01-2021, 11:52 PM
Just a little suggestion please; a player should be able to place a round back in to the caisson if it is surplus to requirement, too many times have I been caught out holding a shell when someone else has taken one.

Jigsaw
01-02-2021, 10:25 PM
Just a little suggestion please; a player should be able to place a round back in to the caisson if it is surplus to requirement, too many times have I been caught out holding a shell when someone else has taken one.

I second this. It's really frustrating when you take the wrong round by mistake.

TrustyJam
01-02-2021, 10:52 PM

Yes - this has been on our public priority list since the release of the initial implementation of artillery. The overhaul of the transport system in order to make the backend of arty much cleaner as well as making it ready for horses has taken longer than expected (no surprise there, it's programming after all) and so we probably would have pushed for the addition of this feature before starting the overhaul/update had we known how much time it would have required.

In any case, be sure that this is indeed still a priority feature of ours which will make its way into the game whenever practicable. :)

- Trusty

Leifr
01-02-2021, 11:26 PM
Great, thanks for the response Trusty. :)

Lord Drax
01-03-2021, 05:39 AM
Indeed! Looking forward to it!

Raidmaxxx
01-07-2021, 07:39 PM
Yes - this has been on our public priority list since the release of the initial implementation of artillery. The overhaul of the transport system in order to make the backend of arty much cleaner as well as making it ready for horses has taken longer than expected (no surprise there, it's programming after all) and so we probably would have pushed for the addition of this feature before starting the overhaul/update had we known how much time it would have required.

In any case, be sure that this is indeed still a priority feature of ours which will make its way into the game whenever practicable. :)

- Trusty

Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to this being addressed.