PDA

View Full Version : The far future

Sgt.Kar98
10-22-2015, 04:29 AM
Hello all. First of all,congratulations for the devs in their effort to make a pretty different game from the other multiplayer's FPSs we have and had until now. Not only the theme is uncommon for a FPS,but the gameplay as it's being presented now looks very original.

I know the game is not even in alpha phase,but it made me so excited that I've even wondered if there are possibilities for in a future (distant or not so) that other conflicts of the same period (Crimean War,Paraguayan War,Second Opium War,the Italian Wars of Independence,etc) may be explored,either by the team or by modders.

A. P. Hill
10-22-2015, 04:37 AM
The developers have said, if this is successful, other Civil War battles will follow.

Patrick Kurtz
10-22-2015, 03:43 PM
I want some Western Ones :)

Sgt.Kar98
10-24-2015, 02:16 AM
Oh,I meant if everything ends well (and I do hope it will) and most of the battles of the American Civil War are covered,if they would explore other 19th century wars.

A. P. Hill
10-24-2015, 02:49 AM
Understood what you meant originally.

Let's assume they will.

But ACW first as Email said in the youtube interview. ;)

PGT Beauregard
10-24-2015, 02:55 AM
Probably never see it but the Red River Campaign in Louisiana would be my choice. Hell, I would even drive the devs around to all the battlefields. Some are just a few blocks from my house.

CybrSlydr
10-24-2015, 05:04 AM
My guess is anything outside the scope of the ACW would be done by a modding community unless Campfire said they wanted certain things left alone so they could focus on a release.

PGT Beauregard
10-24-2015, 06:59 AM
My guess is anything outside the scope of the ACW would be done by a modding community unless Campfire said they wanted certain things left alone so they could focus on a release.

And that would be fine by me. The success of this project comes first to any personal wants of mine.

A. P. Hill
10-24-2015, 02:00 PM
I want this SIMULATION, (not a game,) to be everything I want it to be, I want it to encompass the entirety of the American Civil War! I have been so long in hoping to find even anything close to this.

I want for this to succeed in a big way!

In order for that to happen, I think part of what needs to be done by this community is that we all need to wander over to CRYENGINE, and join their forums. ;) Right now Cryengine is limited to a 4.5 km x 4.5 km area map ... almost all of the battles fought in the ACW covered more area, we need to impose on Cryengine to expand their limitations :)

I am somewhat disappointed that according to the developers they said then needed to scale down the overall environment to make it fit into that limitation. All the skirmishes of course are 1:1, but the overall is scaled down and that's unfortunate.

CybrSlydr
10-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Star Citizen is made on a modded CryEngine - their maps are vastly larger than 4.5x4.5. Perhaps some collaboration?... Chris Roberts is a good guy.

TrustyJam
10-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Star Citizen is made on a modded CryEngine - their maps are vastly larger than 4.5x4.5. Perhaps some collaboration?... Chris Roberts is a good guy.

Roberts & Co. have bought their own complete engine license, allowing them to do whatever they want with the software. This is not something that is possible for us, unless we somehow get millions in funding all of a sudden.

- Trusty

TrustyJam
10-24-2015, 04:37 PM
I want this SIMULATION, (not a game,) to be everything I want it to be, I want it to encompass the entirety of the American Civil War! I have been so long in hoping to find even anything close to this.

I want for this to succeed in a big way!

In order for that to happen, I think part of what needs to be done by this community is that we all need to wander over to CRYENGINE, and join their forums. ;) Right now Cryengine is limited to a 4.5 km x 4.5 km area map ... almost all of the battles fought in the ACW covered more area, we need to impose on Cryengine to expand their limitations :)

I am somewhat disappointed that according to the developers they said then needed to scale down the overall environment to make it fit into that limitation. All the skirmishes of course are 1:1, but the overall is scaled down and that's unfortunate.

I doubt you'll notice it. It's a matter of taking 40 instead of 50 minutes or the like to cross the maps.

- Trusty

A. P. Hill
10-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Ooo! 10 minutes in this battle could have made or broke it. :) Thanks Trusty, my understanding of what was said went into out of scale overdrive. 10 minutes, what's that at a walk? 150 yards?

A. P. Hill
10-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Roberts & Co. have bought their own complete engine license, allowing them to do whatever they want with the software. This is not something that is possible for us, unless we somehow get millions in funding all of a sudden.

- Trusty

Just as soon as I win the lottery my friend.

Did you say you wanted to model the whole of the U.S. during this period? lol!

Jamez
10-24-2015, 05:29 PM
Ooo! 10 minutes in this battle could have made or broke it. :) Thanks Trusty, my understanding of what was said went into out of scale overdrive. 10 minutes, what's that at a walk? 150 yards?

Considering an average walking speed of a man a 10 minute walk would be between 800-1000 yards.

Patrick Kurtz
10-25-2015, 02:27 AM
I'd like some Shiloh action, or maybe Vicksburg

Bravescot
10-25-2015, 03:28 AM
I'd like some Shiloh action, or maybe Vicksburg

Shiloh would be an amazing addition for the future.

CybrSlydr
10-25-2015, 01:20 PM

- Trusty

Ahhhhhh. I see - I assumed that to make the game you had a license as well.

TrustyJam
10-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Ahhhhhh. I see - I assumed that to make the game you had a license as well.

There are different degrees of what you have license to. :)

- Trusty

VictorFernandes
10-28-2015, 01:06 PM
This engine used in WoR can be used for mod's? I'm not an expert in modding but it would be cool to recreate some historical battles in custom maps and customs uniforms.

Soulfly
10-28-2015, 01:17 PM
This engine used in WoR can be used for mod's? I'm not an expert in modding but it would be cool to recreate some historical battles in custom maps and customs uniforms.

it could be, but please keep in mind that the campfire team spend years creating maps....so i think modding will be very hard if not impossible. But we had this already ;)

A. P. Hill
10-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Campfire has already stated that should this launch be successful, THEY will model more battles. That said, I don't think the developers are going to allow public mods.

And ... you can't fight "historical" battles on custom fields, you can fight historical battles on historic battlefields. ;)

VictorFernandes
10-28-2015, 04:16 PM
... you can't fight "historical" battles on custom fields, you can fight historical battles on historic battlefields. ;)

Don't be mean, you know what I meant by "custom maps" :rolleyes: :D

TrustyJam
10-28-2015, 04:54 PM
We'd love to heavily support mods but that's really not a top priority at the moment. We have talked about having various map making competitions much like Tripwire have done, and select the best ones and implement them into the core game map lineup though.

- Trusty

FanaticDK
10-28-2015, 07:16 PM
We'd love to heavily support mods but that's really not a top priority at the moment. We have talked about having various map making competitions much like Tripwire have done, and select the best ones and implement them into the core game map lineup though.

- Trusty
It really is the way to go, some of the best maps in Red Orchestra came out of these competitions.

Rithal
10-29-2015, 08:52 PM
It really is the way to go, some of the best maps in Red Orchestra came out of these competitions.

Indeed. However it might take away from the historical aspect of the game considering many people don't have the means or the time to go out and map the real battles like the developers have. Any community made maps will naturally be at least somewhat less accurate than the dev-made maps. :)

Wilson
10-29-2015, 09:04 PM
Yea but I personally think it would keep things spiced up. I really don't want to replay the same fight over and over. Think of it like the random and custom maps in NAS. You have one battle on say Gettysburg, with two random before and after, just so people don't stall out.

A. P. Hill
10-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Indeed. However it might take away from the historical aspect of the game considering many people don't have the means or the time to go out and map the real battles like the developers have. Any community made maps will naturally be at least somewhat less accurate than the dev-made maps. :)

100 percent agree.

Willie Fisterbottom
10-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Be cool if you made a d-day like map.

Jonny Powers
10-30-2015, 11:41 AM
The Alternate History possibilities are endless... ;)

Arkansan
10-30-2015, 01:00 PM
We have talked about having various map making competitions much like Tripwire have done, and select the best ones and implement them into the core game map lineup though.

- Trusty
I want to map on this soo bad.. I've made several maps for NaS. The scale is much smaller than WoR of course but the editor on Mount and Blade is horrible compared to what I've seen in the cryengine tutorials. Only question is, will I have to purchase the cryengine seperate to edit on WoR? If so I'd prob do it lol. The editor is so user friendly with the layers, the possibilities are endless as long as you have the models :D

A. P. Hill
10-30-2015, 01:36 PM
... Only question is, will I have to purchase the cryengine seperate to edit on WoR? If so I'd prob do it lol. The editor is so user friendly with the layers, the possibilities are endless as long as you have the models :D

Winner!!!

Will we be able to map using the $10.oo a month subscription package or will we need more?

TrustyJam
10-30-2015, 02:13 PM
I want to map on this soo bad.. I've made several maps for NaS. The scale is much smaller than WoR of course but the editor on Mount and Blade is horrible compared to what I've seen in the cryengine tutorials. Only question is, will I have to purchase the cryengine seperate to edit on WoR? If so I'd prob do it lol. The editor is so user friendly with the layers, the possibilities are endless as long as you have the models :D

That would most likely be all that would be needed, yes.

- Trusty

CivilLetsPlays
10-30-2015, 06:59 PM
The developers have said, if this is successful, other Civil War battles will follow.

I'd love to see a Battle of Franklin map. I feel like that would be so cool being Confederates and charging the earthworks there, or the Union and seeing all those Confederate soldiers charging you line.... I can see it now!

Rithal
10-30-2015, 07:27 PM
I'd love to see a Battle of Franklin map. I feel like that would be so cool being Confederates and charging the earthworks there, or the Union and seeing all those Confederate soldiers charging you line.... I can see it now!

I love you... :)

A. P. Hill
10-30-2015, 07:46 PM
I want to see the whole war ... from the bombardment of Sumpter till Appomattox. In every theater.

Arkansan
10-30-2015, 08:46 PM
That would most likely be all that would be needed, yes.

- Trusty

OK, Thanks for the reply Trusty!

Rithal
10-30-2015, 09:18 PM
I want to see the whole war ... from the bombardment of Sumpter till Appomattox. In every theater.

The man hours it would take to complete something like that would probably reach up into the tens of thousands, but maybe one day. :p

A. P. Hill
10-30-2015, 09:25 PM
The man hours it would take to complete something like that would probably reach up into the tens of thousands, but maybe one day. :p

I'm waiting ...

Arkansan
10-31-2015, 09:16 AM

Would be quickly possible once more people are recruiting for modeling, scripting, animations, mapping, ect.. :D

Historical Player
10-31-2015, 12:23 PM
I want to see New Market, Gettysburg, Shilo, Bull Run, and Waynesboro.

zimmer1lb
11-01-2015, 12:19 AM
I predict that once this gets released Starbucks will be hard pressed to keep the java flowing. So buy some stocks now. ;) (disclaimer: this is not insider information :rolleyes: )

zimm out