PDA

View Full Version : period correct orders?

thomas aagaard
10-28-2015, 09:26 PM
In the kickstarter movie we hear a number of orders... most of them are not correct.

We hear a reb officer saying: "Firing by volley. Ready. fire" (2:26)
First of all that order do not exist.
It is "Fire by (battalion/wing/rank/company/file)"
All of them save the last will be some sort of a volley.

Then the orders are "ready, Aim, Fire"...

A bit later we see the union fire and the officer yells "reload.
This is just some idea that reenactors and Hollywood have and is not correct. The correct order is LOAD.

"company on me"
Again not a period order. it makes a lot of sense today... with a squad of 8-13? men in open order...
But it do not make sense with a 40man company trying to stay in line.

I realize that this is still very early in the development... but I would like some confirmation that the plan is to get the correct orders in the game...

Hinkel
10-28-2015, 09:36 PM
We will have correct orders ingame as well as some common variations for them, like you saw in the video.
We also want to encourage officers to use the correct orders and the perfect timing of them, to provide buffs for his soldiers.

TrustyJam
10-28-2015, 09:47 PM
The voices used in-game were really a last minute thing we added consisting of quite a lot of old ones available to us. Every order will be period authentic in the game.

- Trusty

Willie Fisterbottom
10-28-2015, 09:52 PM
I think i heard a few in there from NaS :)

thomas aagaard
10-28-2015, 09:55 PM
So what are your sources that "fire by volley" was a commonly used variation?

Soldiers where and are trained to use the correct orders and procedures during combat to avoid confusion.

and "Fire by volley" do not give the needed information... since it do not tell you who should fire and who should not.
"Fire by company" do.

Similar with "form line boys"... where? in what direction? and how?
(they end up doing it in a messy way that result in some rear rank men in font... and the files mixed up)

Edit:

The voices used in-game were really a last minute thing we added consisting of quite a lot of old ones available to us. Every order will be period authentic in the game.

- Trusty

Thanks... was the reply I was hoping for..

Within the reenactment community there are a number of things that is often done... but not correct.
"Reload" is one of them....

But when the movies about the war are not doing it correctly it is an uphill fight... since most reenactors just look at what other reenactors do... instead of actually read the sources them self.

TrustyJam
10-28-2015, 10:06 PM
No problem!

And don't worry, our eagle eyed historical advisor George will be supervising the creation of the lines before they go out to the voice actors. And if he should miss a few I'm sure our awesome community will point it out to us! :)

- Trusty