PDA

View Full Version : Edge - Amazon Instant pilot

Jonny Powers
11-05-2015, 06:27 PM
The pilot episode of a possible Amazon original series has been released! Based on the pulp series from Piccadilly Cowboy Terry Harknett (under the pen name George G. Gilman), the series is set in 1865 and follows Josiah Hedges, a Civil War veteran betrayed by his friends and going down a trail of vengeance. The episode can be found here and can be watched free with an Amazon Prime subscription!

https://www.amazon.com/Edge/dp/B017AOYAJU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, gonna do so with my brother either tonight or tomorrow, so please no spoilers! What do you all think?

TrustyJam
11-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Can't watch, country restricted. I don't have high hopes for a new great western series though judging it only by this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhV0g776Wno

Bring back fucking Deadwood and them canned peaches is what I say!

- Trusty

Jonny Powers
11-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the clip!
While I died a little inside when I learned Deadwood ended on such a cliffhanger (from which it will probably never return), I don't want to put these two on the same level. I loved the book series, they were like Spaghetti Westerns in print. After watching that 30 second bit a half dozen times, I am -really- looking forward to this! My only concern is that it won't get picked up, like Point of Honor from last year. While it's the only action-y pilot, which might be something going for it, professional reviewers tend to dislike the violence and brutality, for which the series is (in)famous. The handful of reviews on Amazon are good, however, so hopefully this gets voted into production!

Rithal
11-06-2015, 09:25 PM
I just checked out the first ten minutes or so. The story seems a little far fetched, and kinda feels like they are trying to ride the Hell on Wheels train. :p

Jonny Powers
11-07-2015, 03:41 AM
I just checked out the first ten minutes or so. The story seems a little far fetched, and kinda feels like they are trying to ride the Hell on Wheels train. :p

Well, revenge as a motif in westerns is fairly common, and seeing as the first book is from 1972, I think it's more the other way around :rolleyes:

But yes, the stories are far-fetched and over the top; they're meant to be! It is based off western pulp, pulp which was marketed as "The most violent westerns in print!" and came with a warning not unlike the one that begins this episode on the cover leaf of each book.

Having read the first 7 books in the series, I found that the portrayal and plot were very true to not only scenes, of which some were taken straight from the books (like the one warning scene), but also the spirit of the material. The episode did feel a bit cramped, though I put that down to having to not only set up a story, establish characters, create a self contained plot with possibility for expansion, and provide the good guns, girls, and gore Edge fans love, (not to mention the nod to Terry Harknett, who shares the same name as the Sergeant).

I really hope this gets picked up. There are so many great plots that could be used, not the least of which is the fabulous Civil War Trilogy arc.