PDA

View Full Version : Duel Wield Pistol & Sword (Officers)

TheEnglishHighlander
04-02-2013, 03:41 PM
I think it would be awesome for an officer to be able to do this, and just swap between a melee and shooting mode like in NW by pressing one of the keys on your keyboard. What do you guys think?

SgtPepper
04-02-2013, 06:40 PM
or also a one-hand sabre for flag bearers. that reeeeally bothers me in N&S and NW

TheEnglishHighlander
04-02-2013, 07:05 PM
or also a one-hand sabre for flag bearers. that reeeeally bothers me in N&S and NW

indeed, I just think it would top of the game and like in your case, you wouldn't have to drop the flag to fight.

William
04-03-2013, 06:04 AM
that would be awsome a sword and a flag and a sword and a Pistol awsome awsome and hmmm a yes ..... awsome XD

TrustyJam
04-03-2013, 06:15 AM
We might give the flag bearers a sabre, I can't say yet though. It is my impression that most flag bearers were unarmed.

- Trusty

SgtPepper
04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
We might give the flag bearers a sabre, I can't say yet though. It is my impression that most flag bearers were unarmed.

- Trusty

That is right as far as i know as well. But i can imagine flag bearers also bringing at least a sabreto defend themselves in a melee. even tho it wasnt really their job since the troops should always group around the flag and it was thus protected. but it would be more fun then for color bearers. also, what i think would be great is if you could wave the flag dynamically. so you can actually give signals with them. (there was an actual flag-wave commandlist, but i cant remember what it was called. invented either during or just prior to the ACW)

TheEnglishHighlander
04-03-2013, 10:49 AM
The reason I had this Idea is because many people are fans of firing in the charge, which is great for the normal troops armed with a bayonet, but the Officers have to swap through equipment to get to their sword. And in the process of doing so, they can get attacked and have no form of stopping it, thus in my eyes, a simple press of one of the keys seems like a better system.

TrustyJam
04-03-2013, 10:58 AM
The reason I had this Idea is because many people are fans of firing in the charge, which is great for the normal troops armed with a bayonet, but the Officers have to swap through equipment to get to their sword. And in the process of doing so, they can get attacked and have no form of stopping it, thus in my eyes, a simple press of one of the keys seems like a better system.

Indeed. We'll take a look at it. :) Officers are quite well off in a charge anyhow I'd say though. I'd much prefer a six shooter than a musket in close quaters.

- Trusty

SemajRednaxela
01-14-2016, 05:26 PM
If it's realism this game is going for then ability to duel wield a sword and pistol is a must.

Just simply think on this. What would YOU do in an 1860s melee situation if you had both weapons on you. I know what would do it my it was me vs "insert anyone"......

Challis89
01-14-2016, 05:26 PM
A big a yes from me for this but to stop people spamming it if you enter melee you drop the dun or throw it then go in with the saber if not you have to holster it which can take precious seconds.

SemajRednaxela
01-14-2016, 05:29 PM
Fire six shots (or five if your the careful type).

Then upended/ drop/ holster it and carry on with sword and leading company

A. P. Hill
01-14-2016, 05:45 PM
I think it would be awesome for an officer to be able to do this, and just swap between a melee and shooting mode like in NW by pressing one of the keys on your keyboard. What do you guys think?

While it may be "awesome", it's certainly not historically correct. This fantasy comes from too much Hollywood consumption.

Landree
01-15-2016, 05:37 AM
Agreed with A.P. Hill. Too much Hollywood.

You can't really do both at the same time. They're both weighty in their own regards. Now being able to pistol-whip someone should certainly be an option. :P

rebeldestroyer
01-15-2016, 03:21 PM
Throwing the pistol when you fire all six shots should also be an option

Colonel P. R. Page
01-23-2016, 12:49 PM
This makes a lot of sense because a lot of first hand accounts that I read from officers that got in bad fights would use a pistol to shoot far off targets, and then use a sword as a last resort.

Colonel P. R. Page
01-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Pistol-Whipping sounds like a good idea too.

Could this be the same with rifles when you don't have your bayonent attached?

BloodBeag
01-23-2016, 08:50 PM
What would a captain of infantry generally have in terms of weapons?

thomas aagaard
01-23-2016, 10:01 PM
He had to have a saber.
They often had a revolver.

What is important to understand is that the officers had to buy their own uniforms, weapons and gear.

A. P. Hill
01-23-2016, 10:50 PM
.. What is important to understand is that the officers had to buy their own uniforms, weapons and gear.

He also was more worried about managing his troops than shooting at an enemy.

thomas aagaard
01-23-2016, 11:43 PM
Exactly.

The situations where it makes sense for a (infantry) captain to use his revolver is very limited.

stuka
01-24-2016, 11:00 AM
Well as long as the flag bearer is able to actually use the flag as a weapon then we wouldn't need weapons otherwise

thomas aagaard
01-24-2016, 07:17 PM
He should have 8 good men to guard him... historically that is.. properly not going to happen in the game.

Also since the color is what he is protecting he should keep himself between it and the enemy and the tips is not sharp.
So using the issue NCO sword is properly more authentic and properly also easier to program.

Challis89
01-24-2016, 08:10 PM
In all fairness where the csa is concerned a lot of their officers discarded the sword early on in the war in favour of a long arm if personal accounts are to be believed due to many realising wearing a sword will get you killed by enemy sharpshooters. I'm still in favour of once the pistols used it's used and can be thrown.

Mississippi
01-24-2016, 08:38 PM
Pistol in the right hand, sword in the left hand.

SemajRednaxela
01-24-2016, 09:14 PM
Pistol in the right hand, sword in the left hand.

Could even expand it to have a dominant hand that you hold binoc, shoot, and fence with. I'd love to be able to choose which hand I held items in as an option.

LukeYoung
02-01-2016, 02:32 AM

- Trusty

You are correct trusty , it was not the flag barriers job to do the fighting , he held the flag and that is it , holding the flag was the most honorable thing they're was , not the garbage you see at most farb fest reenactments and Hollywood movies.
Lets not turn this game into complete crap like most of the stuff you see on TV.

Henronicus
02-01-2016, 03:17 AM
Will we be able to pick up the flag if the flag-bearer is shot?

David Dire
02-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Could even expand it to have a dominant hand that you hold binoc, shoot, and fence with. I'd love to be able to choose which hand I held items in as an option.

Back then, they didn't really tolerate anything but using your right hand. Being an officer you'd probably get a bit of freedom, but I think you'd just use your right.

Dipington
02-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Will we be able to pick up the flag if the flag-bearer is shot?

yea, if the flag bearer dies, one of the men can pick it back up and hold it until they win or they have to retreat

CjkCJkCjk
02-01-2016, 11:33 PM
yea, if the flag bearer dies, one of the men can pick it back up and hold it until they win or they have to retreat
That would be a great input, though I wouldn't dare do it with one texas regiment's color's XD 4 people who picked it up died, a private saw it go down and kicked it. (this being at Gettysburg if i remember correctly)

stuka
02-02-2016, 11:50 AM
I still think the flag bearer should be allowed to use his flag to fight.

Historically there is one thing but on the other hand this is a game and I don't think they're going to implement surrendering if you get surrounded/ambushed

Mississippi
02-02-2016, 06:29 PM

Maybe the company will not respawn until the flag is picked back up!

Mississippi
02-02-2016, 06:30 PM
I still think the flag bearer should be allowed to use his flag to fight.

Historically there is one thing but on the other hand this is a game and I don't think they're going to implement surrendering if you get surrounded/ambushed

Maybe in a desperate situation aka hand to hand fighting!

stuka
02-02-2016, 08:23 PM
Yeah, hand to hand fighting against bayonets, that could go well... At least with the flag you have an equal or greater size polearm to keep them at bay, sort of

David Dire
02-04-2016, 02:27 PM
Don't forget, you could pick up other people's dropped weapons.

SemajRednaxela
02-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Don't forget, you could pick up other people's dropped weapons.

Has it been confirmed that officers can pick up rifles??

David Dire
02-04-2016, 08:39 PM
I would assume so. Seeing how realistic this game is shooting to be, I highly doubt picking up weapons won't be a possibility. I would assume it'd be the same for officers.

LukeYoung
02-05-2016, 12:24 AM
I would assume so. Seeing how realistic this game is shooting to be, I highly doubt picking up weapons won't be a possibility. I would assume it'd be the same for officers.

A officer would never pick of a enlisted mans weapon , he has a sword and that is there for a reason.
So therefor it would not be realistic nor would it be authentic for a officer to do so , unless you can prove them of doing so which i highly doubt you can. But if you can i wouldn't mind reading it. :D

David Dire
02-05-2016, 12:44 AM
A officer would never pick of a enlisted mans weapon , he has a sword and that is there for a reason.
So therefor it would not be realistic nor would it be authentic for a officer to do so , unless you can prove them of doing so which i highly doubt you can. But if you can i wouldn't mind reading it. :D

I'm pretty sure that by the time, swords were mostly just for signalling/orders/leading a company/regiment, and not mainly intended for combat, though that was common.

Heck, Confederate officers would commonly ditch their swords for muskets so they wouldnt be singled out by sharpshooters.

Henronicus
02-05-2016, 02:35 AM
will we be able to point with the swords, to direct the company's fire or something?

LukeYoung
02-05-2016, 03:13 AM
I'm pretty sure that by the time, swords were mostly just for signalling/orders/leading a company/regiment, and not mainly intended for combat, though that was common.

Heck, Confederate officers would commonly ditch their swords for muskets so they wouldnt be singled out by sharpshooters.

That statement is invalided never in all my years of research for the civil have i have never heard of such thing about confederate officers dropping they're swords cause of sharpshooters . Though you are correct about them using them for leading and orders and so on.
Example , everyone in the regiment is used to seeing the sword and the moment of it when the officers are giving orders , so if the officer did drop his sword they would be confused cause then everyone would not be able to see that dissent weapon waving when giving orders , thought they did have insignia it would be hard to notice in the heat of battle with smoke and the screams and moans of the dead and wounded on the ground. But as i said before if you do have a article of them doing so i would love to read it ! :D

thomas aagaard
02-05-2016, 04:35 AM
But this have been debated before... and noone did provide any evidence of this.

(it was done in the british army fighting in north america during the 7year war and light infantry officers did similar during the AWI. The sergeants also received muskets instead of half pikes.
But in all cases we are talking companies that most often had to fight in open order in wooded terrain.)

In the later part of the war there are pictures showing union officers and non commissioned officers who used subdued rank insignia.

Challis89
02-05-2016, 06:36 AM

Confederate officers regularly fought with long arms in battle and from what I've read quite q few would remove rank markings for battle too to make then stand out less. With scoped Rifles they became a massive target.

thomas aagaard
02-05-2016, 07:01 AM
Confederate officers regularly fought with long arms in battle and from what I've read quite q few would remove rank markings for battle too to make then stand out less. With scoped Rifles they became a massive target.
Prove it.

And when you are at it prove that ordinary union regiments had scoped rifles...

We have been debating this before - officers got a job to do and that is commanding their men. When the unit is in line, they position is behind their men where they can keep an eye on their men and see the battalion commander. You can't do that if you are in the line firing a rifle.

Challis89
02-05-2016, 07:17 AM
Prove it.

And when you are at it prove that ordinary union regiments had scoped rifles...

We have been debating this before - officers got a job to do and that is commanding their men. When the unit is in line, they position is behind their men where they can keep an eye on their men and see the battalion commander. You can't do that if you are in the line firing a rifle.

Where did I say anything about line units having scoped Rifles? I didn't so learn to read please.

You can't link a book.

thomas aagaard
02-05-2016, 07:47 AM
exactly, they did not. The number of scoped rifles used during the war by the north is so low to be irrelevant in a debate about how confederate offices did things in general.

And sure you can link to a book. Many books are online, like the drill books and regulations. And many books published in the 19th century.
(since they are no longer protected by copyright)

or simply quote the relevant part and give use the source like you would in any book.

"blablabal evidence that confederate officers regularly used rifles"
from "title of book" page xx by "name of writer"

Showing us some pictures of officers with rifles would also be a obvious place to start.

So please prove it.

Things to consider.
1. the officer have a job to do, and if they are firing rifles they are not doing their job.
2. Where would they get it? Sure they can pick up one from the ground after the battle started but don't that undermine the point?

About use of subdued ranks insignia in the union armies.
from the December 3, 1864 issue of the United States Army and Navy Journal:
(so later than when this game is set)

WD, AGO &c.
General Orders No. 286, November 22, 1864
"Officers serving in the field are permitted to dispense with shoulder straps and the prescribed insignia of rank on their horse equipments. The marks of rank prescribed to be worn on the shoulder-straps will be worn on the shoulder in place of the strap. Officers are also permitted to wear overcoats of the same color and shape as those of the enlisted men of their command. No ornaments will be required on the overcoats, hats or forage caps; nor will sashes or epaulettes be required.
"By order of the Secretary of War.
"E. D. Townsend, Assistant Adjutant-General"

And
from Our Campaigns: the Second Regiment Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteers by Lt. Col. EM Woodward. It is account written about January 1863, when the 2nd Reserves was on picket duty near Fairfax Court House and can be found on pages 199-200:
"On the 20th, Lieutenant Colonel Woodward arrived in camp and superseded Captain Smith, and the next day, at daylight, our regiment started for Bull Run to go on picket. On arriving at Union Mills, our Colonel reported to General Hays, who sent a dashing young aide, all covered with gold to receive us. Upon his arrival he inquired for Captain Reitzel, who was temporarily in charge of the regiment. It should be mentioned here, that officers of the Reserves were never particularly noted for their fine uniforms and gold lacings, and especially after going through the memorable campaign of 1862. In fact, Captain Reitzel wore nothing to indicate he was an officer but his sword, an that was concealed under his overcoat. Besides, the captain, like many other old campaigners, went out provided with the implements of comfort, an axe and frying pan. The aide was duly saluted by the captain, who informed him he was the individual sought for, but his indignation at the impudence of the "pioneer," as he called him, waxed exceedingly warm and he was on the point of running him down when he discovered his mistake, which created a hearty laugh all round..."
My bold. He don't even wear a rank insignia... but still got his saber.

sorry for the small size. But again no big rank insignia... but still got their sabers.

Union officers in Army of the Potomac July 1863. All of them on court martial duty.

SemajRednaxela
02-05-2016, 11:14 AM
So heartening to see another "on topic" forum thread......

Bravescot
02-05-2016, 01:58 PM
So heartening to see another "on topic" forum thread......

Nah it's still on topic. They're just debating the finer points of matters that was bound to be throw up at some point. In this case the officer picking up a rifle.

SemajRednaxela
02-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Agreed.

Fingers and toes crossed someone with the know how "a dev" will be able to put the matter to rest soon.

Challis89
02-05-2016, 04:22 PM
I'll scroll through said books and get the relevant quotes but at the end of the day when your holding the line it's not beyond reality for an officer to pick up an abandoned weapon and join the firing after all many were rankers at one stage.

LukeYoung
02-05-2016, 04:52 PM
O boy i wish sometimes everyone could just pick a book up and read a little instead of sounding like a complete moron.....

thomas aagaard
02-05-2016, 05:04 PM
No it is not beyond reality that an officer can pick a gun up. And I got no problem with that being added to the game.

But that is very fare from "Confederate officers regularly fought with long arms in battle" as you wrote.

From what I read officers might use smaller rank insignia, (or even none at all) and this practice was given official sanction in the late part of the war... but it do look like they still carried their sabers...

Adding the ability to Picking up guns to the game is naturally a good idea.
But I really don't se the historical argument for allowing officers to start out with rifles or not having their saber.

Challis89
02-05-2016, 06:09 PM
No it is not beyond reality that an officer can pick a gun up. And I got no problem with that being added to the game.

But that is very fare from "Confederate officers regularly fought with long arms in battle" as you wrote.

From what I read officers might use smaller rank insignia, (or even none at all) and this practice was given official sanction in the late part of the war... but it do look like they still carried their sabers...

Adding the ability to Picking up guns to the game is naturally a good idea.
But I really don't see the historical argument for allowing officers to start out with rifles or not having their saber.

Of course they will have them in non battle situations such as when the pictures were taken which looks like dress uniforms to impress people.

For the record as you seem incapable of reading it seems ive never once advocated starting with a rifle yes ive said some favour long arms but that's a long throw from what you claim im saying. I am more than happy to say i'm wrong if ive miss read the text i'm not that stubborn however i don't appreciate my words being twisted.

well i stand corrected to a degree not going to type out the full 300 word quote but the gist is that swords were more for ornate purposes and a symbol of rank rather than for fighting many relying on side arms as they were more reliable some would especially artillery officers leave there swords back in the baggage as they were more of a hinderance than a benefit.

Willie Fisterbottom
02-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Why does this matter, im pretty sure they will add picking up weapons in game so the whoever is playing the officer can do whatever he pleases. They did already state that you would spawn with a pistol and a revolver so i doubt you could spawn with a musket as well.

O boy i wish sometimes everyone could just pick a book up and read a little instead of sounding like a complete moron.....

Yea and i wish this thread wasn't a massive circle jerk of who knows more history.

A. P. Hill
02-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Nah it's still on topic. They're just debating the finer points of matters that was bound to be throw up at some point. In this case the officer picking up a rifle.

Sure would have been nice to see an "N" at the end of the word throw ... ;)

And again this appears to be more of a matter of opinion by some as opposed to others.

(I do have to personally say that in all my 50 years of reading almost every book I could get my hands on regarding the ACW, I very rarely have ever read about officers discarding their sabers in favor of a long arm. An officers job no matter what his rank was to make sure the corporals and some sergeants and all the privates maintained their fighting edge, they were not concerned with their visibility as officers, nor were they inclined to use a long arm and act as a private in killing the enemy. In fact in support of that context, recall what General Lewis Armistead did in Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg. So his men could see him and thus rally to him, he placed his hat on the tip of his sword/saber and raised it high above his head as he mounted the stonewall that the union infantry were using as a protective covering at the little clump of trees in the center of Cemetery Ridge. And doing this within a fist's throw of any number of yankees. This battle was fought in 1863 if you recall, and for all my reading(s), every last officer in that charge brandished a saber in the command of their brigades, regiments, and companies. That said, I'm sorry, I have to disagree with the comment about officers being armed with long arms and discarding their weapons of rank, i.e. the pistol and the saber/sword. And to remain historically accurate, I feel we as developers would be remiss if we allowed such an abortion of historical accuracy into this endeavor.)

Challis89
02-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Fair enough i stand corrected of miss reading the texts ive read. That said it's not unrealistic for an officer in combat to grab up a rifle when the proverbial excrement hits the fan.

Can I also point out I've never said officers should on game start with rifles just to make you aware

I still 100% support throwing the pistol after use to daze an opponent after all it can't be reloaded very quickly.

A. P. Hill
02-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Fair enough i stand corrected of miss reading the texts ive read. ...

I am not charging you with misreading anything. You may very well have read something I have not. God knows there are more books out there on the ACW than I could possibly read in my lifetime, but I'm trying! :). Again, I haven't read any accounts, or IF I had, I do not remember them.

... That said it's not unrealistic for an officer in combat to grab up a rifle when the proverbial excrement hits the fan. ...

Perhaps in today's military it may not be unrealistic. You have to remember, the era that the ACW was fought, the mentality of chivalry was that an officer was an officer, it was a status symbol and very unlikely that anyone would throw that status symbol out the door to act as an ordinary run of the mill, below his status, private. This grabbing a long gun from the field and using them is way too Hollywood. And we all know how terrible Hollywood can screw up a good story.

... I still 100% support throwing the pistol after use to daze an opponent after all it can't be reloaded very quickly.

Sorry but that's not likely to happen either. Too much alternative programming that doesn't need in game to make it happen for one. Secondly, many an officer paid his own money to buy his pistol ... you don't go throwing money around like that, especially when it was so hard to come by. And thirdly, throwing a hand gun at anyone is another abomination of Hollywood bullshit. Sorry.

Challis89
02-05-2016, 07:26 PM
I was merely backing down given your superior knowledge of the subject that's all cant argue when you have that arsenal at your back and ive barely read a fraction of that number of books.

Maybe is a bit hollywood but when you're backed into a corner and down to a few men he's not just going to stand there and be shot but try to fight back it's human nature.

Fair enough thought it would be a good use of the weapon given its just dead weight after it's been fired.

A. P. Hill
02-05-2016, 07:56 PM
... Maybe is a bit hollywood but when you're backed into a corner and down to a few men he's not just going to stand there and be shot but try to fight back it's human nature. ...

I suggest you pick up a book on this very battle, (Antietam,) and read about officers and their actions. IF ever there was any battle that came close to what you're trying to support in your above comment, Antietam is one. The CSA was so massively out gunned and out manned in this battle that it might have precipitated what you describe, but in all my readings, I don't find it yet. (Again, I blame Hollywood, and too many John Wayne movies.) ;)

As a suggestion to my suggestion, I highly recommend getting your hands on a complete set of Lee's Lieutenants, or in particular to this battle, at least volume II.

Challis89
02-05-2016, 08:30 PM
I suggest you pick up a book on this very battle, (Antietam,) and read about officers and their actions. IF ever there was any battle that came close to what you're trying to support in your above comment, Antietam is one. The CSA was so massively out gunned and out manned in this battle that it might have precipitated what you describe, but in all my readings, I don't find it yet. (Again, I blame Hollywood, and too many John Wayne movies.) ;)

As a suggestion to my suggestion, I highly recommend getting your hands on a complete set of Lee's Lieutenants, or in particular to this battle, at least volume II.

sweet ill give them a read and any more you recommend to get me better knowledge, iv books on the napoleonic wars galore from battles to the lives of the camp followers but ACW is thin that i'll admit.
Ive read about parts of the battle but in no great detail i imagine the battle for the corfield would be the biggest example over every hand at the pump.

A. P. Hill
02-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Actually, No. The nail biter part is the sunken road (bloody lane,) part ... But then again, yeah the cornfield/dunker church is very adrenalin raising ... as is the withdrawal from the lower (later named Burnside's,) bridge.

Aw hell the whole battle is one great big epic nail biter, if you're a confederate booster. ;)

(And there are three volumes in Lee's Lieutenants, I suggest reading them all and in order to get a good feel of the confederate high command .... but for a quick reference volume II has the Antietam battle in it.)

thomas aagaard
02-06-2016, 12:23 AM
Yea and i wish this thread wasn't a massive circle jerk of who knows more history.
It is a circle of "if you want something added to the game then prove that it is historical"

About officers using longarms.
When we go back to earlier wars it did happen in light infantry units.
("Wellingtons rifles" by Ray Cusick)

And I would not be surprised if it did happen in the USSS and the csa sharpshooter battalions.
(the osprey book on the sharpshooters of the war mention it, but don't give a source)

But until someone show me some evidence Iam sticking to my opinion that the offices in the ordinary infantry companies had better things to do than carrying and shooting a musket.

Antietam - Didn't members of Longstreet's staff help man artillery at some point?
And I believe some staff officers did the same in the wilderness.

A. P. Hill
02-06-2016, 01:01 AM
It is a cirkle of "if you want something added to the game then prove that it is historical"

And while you're 'proving' something is 'worth it'. Stop and consider how much additional programming, animations, models, ad infinitum. would be required for "that small simple" step you want ... and whether it is worth delaying the progress and release of the endeavor just to get something half realistically and half accurately into it.

Landree
02-06-2016, 04:57 AM
I would not be surprised if...

This is what we reenactors call a reenactorism. A guess based on limited information then spread around and concreted because everyone else is doing it.

Plain and simple post sources speaking of officers using long arms during the War Between the States. The more detail, the better.

thomas aagaard
02-06-2016, 06:10 AM
If you read the topic again you would see that this is exactly what I have been asking all along. For sources... and insisting that this should not be an option.

Also I did in no way write that it was done... just that it would not surprise me if it was done in specific units.

The difference is, where I don't see it done in line companies and I have argued why... And it would surprise me if someone could actually prove that is was done.

In units that specialist in skirmish duty there are actually good reason for the company officers to try look like the men.
(as can seen in the fact that it was done in the light infantry/rifle companies of other armies in the late 18th and early 19th century)

So in this case It would not surprise me. That is in no way the same as Me saying it was done... just that it would not surprise me if someone could provide evidence.

The osprey book "warrior 60 - sharpshoooters of the american civil war" do have some commends pointing in that direction, but no clear evidence.
it got a picture of a sharps rifle and the text "this sharps rifle was carried by an officer in the 1st USSS (West point museum collection)"

another text "Although many sharpshooter officers did not carry swords in the field (...)"

As I said, no evidence, but clearly Philip Katcher think this was the case.

A. P. Hill
02-06-2016, 02:18 PM
... Antietam - Didn't members of Longstreet's staff help man artillery at some point? ...

True enough they did. And it was directly behind the Sunken Road/Bloody Lane action. Longstreet had a blister on his heel from some ill fitting boots and was wearing bedroom slippers on his feet at the time, he elected to hold the reins of his staffs horses and directed the fire from horse back while the staff aided the cannoneers in firing the gun ... they did not take over the piece.

... And I believe some staff officers did the same in the wilderness.

I do not believe that I have ever read about that occurrence.

Henronicus
02-07-2016, 02:10 AM
For Christ's sake, the devs have said people can pick up weapons, so if you're an officer you should be able to pick one up just like anyone else. This entire argument is quite stupid if you ask me.

Bravescot
02-07-2016, 02:12 AM
For Christ's sake, the devs have said people can pick up weapons, so if you're an officer you should be able to pick one up just like anyone else. This entire argument is quite stupid if you ask me.

Finally someone who has payed some attention to what has been said. By the sounds of it anybody can pick up any weapon that is lying around.

Landree
02-07-2016, 06:39 AM
Aagaard,

I see that now. Thank you for the clarification.

PvtPalmer11pvi
02-12-2016, 09:42 PM
"Dual Wielding pistols"...settle down Josey Wales

Landree
02-12-2016, 09:52 PM
"Why, are you going to pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

A. P. Hill
02-12-2016, 10:50 PM
I believe the first word of that quote should be "WELL ..." ;) We all knew why they should pull em ... for the bounty ... ;)

Landree
02-12-2016, 11:38 PM
It's certainly an older term not heard anymore. But it's in the movie. :P

https://youtu.be/NwwuqNLKsJM?t=2m26s

A. P. Hill
02-13-2016, 12:58 AM
Welp there ya have it, I've always heard it as Well ...

Landree
02-13-2016, 01:56 AM
Same expression used a couple other times in the movie I believe. Runs in the same vein as "Why, you...!"

Hiram Lee
06-03-2016, 10:01 AM

at the battle of cold harbour a union brigidier general grabbed a mans rifle got behinf a tree and fired having a line behind him to reload

Grant97
06-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Not bad idea about a duel :)

csheffield1
06-03-2016, 11:13 PM

- Trusty

It all depended on the reg and army. For example, in the 12th TX Regiment of Skirmishers (Dismounted Cav or Skirmishers) and Cavalry, the flag bearer(for the skirms, he actually had a guide on) held a small saber or NCO sword. But, on the other hand, at Gettysburg, the VA units did not allow flag bearers to carry weapons. The question is, do we neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed it? I personaly have no say, Dual wielding though, that could be a thing.

Harvey05
06-03-2016, 11:30 PM
I can imagine that lol :D