PDA

View Full Version : Purnell Legion Infantry, Company A

armyofancients1
11-09-2015, 06:06 PM

Purnell Legion Infantry, Company A

Information:

The Purnell Legion Infantry, Company A is an open and welcoming Company that aims to make the War of the Rights fun and competitive. To join simply reply with the following form filled out:

Steam Profile:
Era Appropriate Name:
Real Age:
Timezone:
Do you have Teamspeak?:
Previous Regiment Experience in other games:

Please also join our Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PurnellCoA/

Background:

The Purnell Legion Maryland, Volunteers, consisting of nine companies of infantry, two companies of cavalry, and two batteries of light artillery were recruited under the auspices of the Hon. William H. Purnell, Postmaster at Baltimore, Md., at Pikesville Arsenal, near Baltimore, between October 31, 1861, and December 31, 1861. The Legion was raised, under special authority of the Secretary of War, to serve three years for the Union.

Company Colors:

The Legion flies the regular colors of her country and state (USA and Maryland). The Gold and Black represent the founder of the Colony, the Calvert family. Shortly before the war the state considered adopted the current arms of the Calvert family, which include the family coat of arms, however the State has not yet adopted such a practice, which is more popular among the southern states, who generally wore "secession colors (http://i.imgur.com/1zkQTR3.png)." After the war the two different practices would be divided into the modern Maryland flag. Instead Colonel Purnell has insisted on using the historical Gold and Black state arms. (http://i.imgur.com/7SLLgbG.jpg) This has resulted in the entire unit using the simple Gold and Black imprinted with the Company Letter to differentiate them. Company A (http://i.imgur.com/QXgcPhI.jpg), obviously, has an A in the center of their flag. This may change as details about the game come out.

Company History:

The entire Purnell Legion was assigned to Dax's Division, Army of the Potomac March, 1862

The entire Purnell Legion was assigned to the Eighth Army Corps, Middle Department

Assigned to General Lockwood's Brigade and participated in driving the enemy from the eastern shore of Virginia

Prevented a Confederate advance past Harper's Ferry with Eighth Army Corps, May 1862

Reassigned to 2d Division, 2d Army Corps, Army of Virginia July 1862

During the Northern Virginia Campaign Purnell's Legion distinguished itself at Catlett's Station in defense of the railroad bridge and the Senior Officer's train. August 1862

Reassigned to 3d Brigade, 2d Division, 12th Army Corps Army of the Potomac, September 1st 1862

Ranks:

The following ranks are not exhaustive nor required, but rather are the most common and likely to be held.

Captain: The Captain is the Commanding Officer of the Company. He is responsible for all orders, positioning, and communicating with higher levels of command, as well as the administrative duties of the Company. He also is the sole authority able to promote members above the rank of enlisted. He approves all promotions to the rank of Private and above, and listens to the recommendations of all of his officers in making promotion decisions.

First Lieutenant: The First Lieutenant is the Company's second in command. He advises the Captain, assists with positioning and unit discipline, takes the CO position when the Captain is absent, and is the first choice for commander of any independent units from within the company. He takes over any administrative duties assigned to him by the Company Captain, and is also a major participant in recruiting. The First Lieutenant is able to post and respond to advertising posts without approval from anyone else, and is able to accept recruits, but not able to promote them to Private or above. He is able to make official recommendations for promotion to any rank.

Sergeant Major: The Sergeant Major is the senior sergeant, in charge of the unit in the absence of senior officers. He serves as the senior NCO of the units. He serves as Sergeant of the First Section of the Company when senior officers are present. This rank is not required and a regular Sergeant can command the First Section in his absence. The Sergeant Major rank will only be awarded to a member that is particularly trusted by the Company CO, and can have more influence than anyone else. This rank can recommend any member for promotion to the Company Captain, whether that member is higher or lower ranked. The Sergeant Major is considered the most experienced and capable NCO in the unit, and should only be accepted by a member who is willing to forgo all commissioned officer ranks. It is a dedicated position for a member who wants to put his own ego aside for the better of the unit.

Sergeants: Sergeants serve as the senior NCO for Sections, and are responsible for organizing their sections and keeping track of the members. Any section requires a Sergeant to command it, so field promotions are possible for sections, as determined by the Company Captain.

Corporals: Each Section has two corporals, which allow for division of the section if necessary, these subdivisions are called squads. Corporals can serve in whatever capacity required by the CO, including commanding sections in absence of a Sergeant.

Privates: The Private is the rank and file, who serve in the squads. They cannot command unless all senior officers have been eliminated in combat. There is no limit to the number holding this rank

Enlisted: Enlisted members have not been accepted into the Company, and are serving on a trial basis to determine compatibility. They are considered to be ranked below Privates for seniority but otherwise have no differences.

armyofancients1
11-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Muster:

http://i.imgur.com/TrDSr3h.pngCompany Captain (1x) Captain Benjamin Richardson (armyofancients1), Captain, A Company

15221st Lieutenant (1x) 1st Lieutenant

1523Sergeant Major (1x) Sergeant Major

1524Sergeant (2x) Sergeant

1525Corporal (4x) Corporal

1537Privates

Enlisted

armyofancients1
11-13-2015, 04:57 PM
I chose Purnell Legion because it offers a lot of flexibility at a smaller size than a full Brigade. Players who want to command have infantry, cavalry, artillery, and skirmishers all available within one single unit.

armyofancients1
11-14-2015, 03:49 AM
Please note the change in sign up procedures, I hope that this will make things easier for anyone interested in playing. I'm also about to post a list of multiplayer games our members play that they choose to share.

armyofancients1
11-14-2015, 03:51 AM
Other games:

Rocket League (armyofancients1)
Ultimate General Gettysburg (armyofancients1)
Mount and Blade: Warband Napoleonic Wars (armyofancients1)
Sniper Elite 3 (armyofancients1)
Planetary Annihilation (armyofancients1)

Please feel free to add other games, I would love to schedule weekly multiplayer sessions with fellow Legionnaires as they come up.

armyofancients1
11-14-2015, 05:53 AM
I have expanded on the roles of each rank. These are optimistic and long term, but please let me know how you feel about them and I will adjust. I have also put some effort into developing the colors of the unit, but these are not accurate historically, I'm trying to find authorities for Purnell Legion who can provide me new information.