PDA

View Full Version : Construction system similar to Napoleonic Wars

Nelson335
11-12-2015, 08:02 PM
snip

Gokiller
11-12-2015, 08:43 PM
I think that all the defenses the Developers want to have are already present in the maps themselves. So you wouldn't need sappers to build additional defenses. Not only that I don't it's even realistic. As in, I don't think both sides used sappers during battles to build fortifications for units while they were advancing. Defensive wise obviously but I guess it's either way.

Though, It could be interesting to have some sort of communication role for them. Engineers would be required to build telegraph lines so the general stuff knows what's going on or something like that. But that's just me thinking widely there for a role and it probably doesn't even make sense.

Leifr
11-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Use the battlefields historically, as the game (and developers) intend.

A. P. Hill
11-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Use the battlefields historically, as the game (and developers) intend.

Oddly, almost every field was pristine before the armies crossed it. During battles landscapes were changed with the pick and spade. Many other times the axe was used.

But yeah, they changed the landscape drastically in the later battles.

That said, I think it may be programmablly(?) Impossible to deform the map with trenches and breastworks in real time.

Leifr
11-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Sorry A.P. Hill but perhaps I did not state my point clear enough.
I do not desire to participate on battlefields where unnatural barriers can be formed contrary to the historical placement of fences, ditches and other such features. The abominations that some folk built in NW and N&S marred the experience; imagine the 'Bloody Road' splattered in rickshaw constructions?

Willie Fisterbottom
11-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Sorry A.P. Hill but perhaps I did not state my point clear enough.
I do not desire to participate on battlefields where unnatural barriers can be formed contrary to the historical placement of fences, ditches and other such features. The abominations that some folk built in NW and N&S marred the experience; imagine the 'Bloody Road' splattered in rickshaw constructions?

What??? you didn't like the plank spam, sky towers, and floating dirt. That was the best part of NW!

A. P. Hill
11-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Not having played either of those titles and only having seen one video of one example, I can't say I blame you for your feelings, however historically artificial defense systems were used in great quantity. In fact before the seven days campaign Gen'l Lee was dubbed "the king of spades" for the earthworks that was constructed around Richmond before he launched that attack.

But as I said I think erecting fortifications in game from scratch is impossible.

I expect Emil to prove me wrong. ;)

Hethwill_Khan
11-13-2015, 10:25 AM
I might be wrong but there weren't many field works being prepared in this particular engagement to warrant a full system.

thomas aagaard
11-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Not that relevant to the 1862 campaign.

If we in a few years get an expansion that deal with later battles, a system where you can dig in and cut down trees and similar would be relevant... since some of that was actually done during the battles when the specific regiment was not fighting or even in small breaks in he combat.

A. P. Hill
11-13-2015, 12:14 PM
No argument from me, and in this particular campaign there was some of that done on South Mountain.

Also somethingto consider field guns in particular prefer level firing platforms. I can take you to several sites and show you where the gunners leveled their gun areas, especially on sloped sites.

Chadman70
11-13-2015, 04:22 PM
God save us from "Fort Derp"

Sorta
11-14-2015, 07:00 AM
You guys know they can implement a building system without it being as ridiculous as NW? Emplacement building like in PR would be pretty neat, though as Leifr said, such a system would probably take away from historical accuracy and also realism.

A. P. Hill
11-14-2015, 12:43 PM
You guys know they can implement a building system without it being as ridiculous as NW? Emplacement building like in PR would be pretty neat, though as Leifr said, such a system would probably take away from historical accuracy and also realism.

Not unless the developers restrict it to actual locations.

Todesengel
11-14-2015, 01:27 PM
But as an artillery, you will get problems. If the other side is shooting at your battery, you will blown into pices. So, you need some cover. And nothing is cheaper than a small earth-wall infront of your cannon.
And if you make a point-system, you can avoid that the sapper-constructs are ruining the landscape. For example: A earthwall costs 1 point, you have 10 Points aviable. Its enough to protect your battery, but you can't flood the map with sapper constructs.

And there is one Problem if you let the mappers make the walls: If you have to moove your arty (You can't see the enemy anymore, or they are charging at your position, for example) you don't have cover anymore.

Estus
11-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Right, so.
In Mount & Blade's DLC, which is known as ''Napoleonic Wars'', sappers can make defenses and barricades.

I'm wondering whether this has already been suggested or whether its happening or not, as I wouldn't mind seeing something like this implemented.
It'd be good to see the Union or Confederates setting up barricades of defenses. Supporting their team with cover and much more.

(Although not TNT, please, no)

I'm not sure, but I think I saw Hinkel saying that we will be able to move objects on the map and create barricades with them.

Henronicus
11-14-2015, 08:46 PM
what about rearranging the rocks in a stone wall to make a new wall?

William
11-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Right, so.
In Mount & Blade's DLC, which is known as ''Napoleonic Wars'', sappers can make defenses and barricades.

I'm wondering whether this has already been suggested or whether its happening or not, as I wouldn't mind seeing something like this implemented.
It'd be good to see the Union or Confederates setting up barricades of defenses. Supporting their team with cover and much more.

(Although not TNT, please, no)

An really interesting thought, i construction menü for like sappers or so would be nice ^^ where like before it spawns you see it transparent and then you click it spawn you can perfectly check where it spawn :)