PDA

View Full Version : Larger Picture

LTC Philip A. Work
11-14-2015, 02:21 AM
For any of you older gamers out there who remember the early 2000's there was a game called World War II Online, essentially it was a massively multiplayer online game that featured a map of Europe in half scale. Players were able to choose infantry aircraft tanks ships at guns, the list goes on.

From what I remember this game used instancing so a player could fly drive or walk literally across the eintirety of Europe if they wanted fighting along the way.

Moving forward a larger goal could be to create instanced areas across the map
that could host large amount of players who fight amoungst the 200 to 500 players in the area. This would allow for larger formations such as brigades, divisions, corps and a command structure that is practical.

Now I know this would be a large undertaking and would most likely involve a subscription based system but for something that would be the DEFINITIVE ACW game for years to come.

Willie Fisterbottom
11-14-2015, 02:58 AM
For any of you older gamers out there who remember the early 2000's there was a game called World War II Online, essentially it was a massively multiplayer online game that featured a map of Europe in half scale. Players were able to choose infantry aircraft tanks ships at guns, the list goes on.

From what I remember this game used instancing so a player could fly drive or walk literally across the eintirety of Europe if they wanted fighting along the way.

that could host large amount of players who fight amoungst the 200 to 500 players in the area. This would allow for larger formations such as brigades, divisions, corps and a command structure that is practical.

Now I know this would be a large undertaking and would most likely involve a subscription based system but for something that would be the DEFINITIVE ACW game for years to come.

That sounds really cool, my only concern would be transportation there weren't exactly cars yet and not everyone can be a cavalry man. So i'd be worried it would involve too much walking

O'Donovan
11-14-2015, 03:08 AM

There still IS a game called Battleground Europe: World War II Online. LINK (http://battlegroundeurope.net/home) In fact, they just had a promotion called "Welcome Back Soldier" where they reactivated all old accounts. They've finally gotten a bit of funding so they can begin updating code and starting to plan upgrades. The game is moving forward again, little by little. Next will be a release on Steam.

Yes, it's a single map with no instances. It's a one half scale map of Europe, where up to thousands of players can fight multiple combined arms battles at the same time. There is nothing like it in the world.

S!

-Irish
(odonovan1 on BE: WWIIOL)

O'Donovan
11-14-2015, 03:11 AM
That sounds really cool, my only concern would be transportation there weren't exactly cars yet and not everyone can be a cavalry man. So i'd be worried it would involve too much walking

There are trucks. Infantry can also ride on tanks. There is also airborne (parachute) infantry. There are forward "firebases" between towns, where the side that holds the FB can spawn in their personnel. In addition, mission commanders can create "FRUs" (forward resupply/respawn units), closer to the target, where soldiers can spawn in. FRUs, if found, can be destroyed by the enemy.

-Irish

LTC Philip A. Work
11-14-2015, 03:17 AM
Well I'm not proposing a full map of northern Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania...although that would be the shit...just a larger player count, order of battle, within the currently proposed maps.

A. P. Hill
11-14-2015, 03:22 AM
Part of the problem currently is Campfire Games license agreement with Cryengine limits the overall area they can map.

If they would tell us what it would take to get larger mapping capability I think we might be able to fund the engine upgrade!

Willie Fisterbottom
11-14-2015, 05:54 AM
There are trucks. Infantry can also ride on tanks. There is also airborne (parachute) infantry. There are forward "firebases" between towns, where the side that holds the FB can spawn in their personnel. In addition, mission commanders can create "FRUs" (forward resupply/respawn units), closer to the target, where soldiers can spawn in. FRUs, if found, can be destroyed by the enemy.

-Irish

Oh no what i was saying was that it works in that game because there are cars tanks planes etc. In war of rights however you'd be doing a lot of walking

BloodBeag
11-14-2015, 07:34 AM
I think it would cost a lot lot more than has been raised in the kickstarter and I think the maps are more than large enough and will take a lot of walking to get around

A. P. Hill
11-14-2015, 01:42 PM

Man, talk about the height of laziness. :p

It's an electronic avatar that's doing the walking not you. The only thing you have to do is sit and eat and drink and watch the avatar walk in real time all that distance. No biggie.