PDA

View Full Version : Company Colors

armyofancients1
11-15-2015, 10:48 PM
So now that we're all funded and ready to go, I have to ask how company colors will work. Obviously there are famous brigades and regiments that have well known colors, but what about those who seem to be lesser known?

I know that there are games that allow a flat .jpg to be uploaded onto a banner to represent teams, but that may not work well or be possible in this system. Will we be relying on state colors for identification then? That could make it more difficult to spot units that are well known or particularly dangerous, which seems to me to be a very realistic and desirable ability.

So how would you like the company colors to be dealt with?

Octavian360
11-16-2015, 12:03 AM
Every unit that was in the Maryland Campaign from my understanding will have their colors represented.

Landree
12-02-2015, 03:54 AM
If so, that is great! A lot of research and painful recreation of the flags will have to be done.

JaegerCoyote
12-02-2015, 04:33 AM
If I remember, most Union regiments will have the same colors, just with regiment's designation on them.

thomas aagaard
12-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Companies did not have colors... the regiments did.

Sure our regiments will be much smaller... but the colors should be based on the relevant regiments present at that specific fight... not what ever name the players use to call their group.

Also Union regiments had two colors - the statecolor and the starts and strips.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-02-2015, 04:32 PM
yes everybody had the stars and stripes but some regiments had a own regimental color

MrAmerican
12-02-2015, 09:57 PM
I hope they implement the colors in the game for us... cause the only (and i mean only) avaliable picture of the 1st NJ Volunteer Infantry colors is a horribly blurry and low quality photo pulled off the website for New Jersey's historical archives... and it is in bad condition. I know a little photoshop, but not enough to recreate the regiment's colors... so I'm hoping they do the work for us ;) I doubt they'll cover every regiment, it would be a lot of work... but it would be really cool if they did (*wink* *wink* devs)

Hinkel
12-02-2015, 10:32 PM
I hope they implement the colors in the game for us... cause the only (and i mean only) avaliable picture of the 1st NJ Volunteer Infantry colors is a horribly blurry and low quality photo pulled off the website for New Jersey's historical archives... and it is in bad condition. I know a little photoshop, but not enough to recreate the regiment's colors... so I'm hoping they do the work for us ;) I doubt they'll cover every regiment, it would be a lot of work... but it would be really cool if they did (*wink* *wink* devs)

I am working on flags at the moment.
To be honest, its pretty hard to get flags done authentic and historical. Like you said, for most regiments, there are no high quality pictures or authentic references. So its a big challenge to get it done!

So for some regiments, I have to use the references of other regiments of that state, which might had a similar flag.

Here is an example of the 42nd Pennsylvania :)

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/29019226/PA_regiment_42.jpg

Bravescot
12-02-2015, 10:34 PM
*Single tear rolls down my cheek in joy*

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-02-2015, 10:43 PM
hinkel? you are a great man. today is braves Christmas.

are you happy brave?

I hope you don't forget us hinkel :)

Numitor
12-02-2015, 10:47 PM
1st New England pl0x :D

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-02-2015, 10:51 PM
pfff cav. you have time until the beta version is ready :p

Numitor
12-02-2015, 10:55 PM
Fine, I'll keep my guidons to myself then. :(

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-02-2015, 11:03 PM
ohh numini :(

I didn't want to hurt you. here. you can have a piece of sugar and an apple. one us for you and the other one for your hottehüh ;)

JaegerCoyote
12-03-2015, 05:18 AM
http://www.pacivilwarflags.org/regiments/indivFlag.cfm?accsn=1985.047

Company I's flag

Hinkel
12-03-2015, 08:04 AM
The PA flags are the best documented and preserved flags of the war :)

-Mitchell-
12-03-2015, 11:45 AM
Unfortunately, there is no surviving example of the colors of the 1st North Carolina Battalion Sharpshooters. However, the tattered remains of the 2nd Georgia Battalion Sharpshooters may serve as a reference of what the flag most likely looked like (excluding the battle honors of course, as the Ga S.S. fought in the "western" theater of the war).

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5d/78/ae/5d78ae6c414fb67df7df7cacb3595eb2.jpg

Tarheel
12-03-2015, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately, there is no surviving example of the colors of the 1st North Carolina Battalion Sharpshooters. However, the tattered remains of the 2nd Georgia Battalion Sharpshooters may serve as a reference of what the flag most likely looked like (excluding the battle honors of course, as the Ga S.S. fought in the "western" theater of the war).

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5d/78/ae/5d78ae6c414fb67df7df7cacb3595eb2.jpg

Western theater (Army of Tennessee) CS units were issued different battle flags than those of their eastern (Army of Northern Virginia) counterparts. AoT units used a more rectangular flag, similar to what most people call the "confederate flag" today. ANV units were issued square battle flags.

Also, the 1st NC SS was formed from two companies (B and E) of the 21st NC Infantry. So, more than likely they had a flag similar to the 21st, if they had one at all. From a quick look at some orders of battle, it looks like they were in the same brigade as the 21st for most battles (including the Maryland Campaign) and may have been attached to the 21st and operated in conjunction with them.

So, unless you can find a flag of the 21st NC, I'd say go with a standard ANV battle flag.

thomas aagaard
12-03-2015, 04:58 PM
I have no idea if 1st NC SS had colors. But the the drill books (some if not all of them) have the rule that only battalions of 5 or more companies carried colors in the field... so a two company battalion would not bring them... and as such would never use them... if the rule the book is followed.

-Mitchell-
12-03-2015, 05:02 PM
I have no idea if 1st NC SS had colors. But the the drill books (some if not all of them) have the rule that only battalions of 5 or more companies carried colors in the field... so a two company battalion would not bring them... and as such would never use them... if the rule the book is followed.

Thanks for the information Thomas! <O

Gandalf
12-03-2015, 05:04 PM
I feel like Hinkel is getting flooded with messages asking for company flags now... ;)

Bravescot
12-03-2015, 06:38 PM
I feel like Hinkel is getting flooded with messages asking for company flags now... ;)

I never even mentioned anything to Hinkel in regards to colours as well! Words can not express how over joyed I am to see that colour. (Yes that is one flag with two images on it)

A. P. Hill
12-03-2015, 07:16 PM
The word(s) is/are COLOR/COLORS!!!
;)

Bravescot
12-03-2015, 08:16 PM
The word(s) is/are COLOUR/COLOURS because I speak the Queen's English :p

Jamez
12-03-2015, 08:43 PM
It's colours and it always will be colours!

Dipington
12-07-2015, 03:02 AM
It's colours and it always will be colours!

color................. :p

David Dire
12-07-2015, 12:43 PM
color................. :p

*chanting* COLOUR! COLOUR! COLOUR!

Numitor
12-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Here we go again. 1812 reloaded.

Blake Vassar
12-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Well what would you do for states that have multiple flags, Like Missouri for example, I did a little research and it seems the Confederate Missouri used 2 different flags. The Missouri Union army had a totally different flag. What is to be done about it?

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-07-2015, 09:43 PM
I have a question too.

what was the function of the flank mark?

because I found the flank mark and the company colo(u)r ( :p ) of the 52nd NY

FirstDiv2Corps
12-08-2015, 01:55 AM
Flank markers were used as guide-ones. If you're wheeling on a flank, for example, the regiment looks in towards the flank to make sure their alignment stays correct.

Maximus Decimus Meridius
12-08-2015, 06:17 AM
Thank you.

I was confused because some regimental colo(u)rs looks like the flank marker of the 52nd or I only found the marker

-Mitchell-
12-13-2015, 01:15 PM
It seems the 1st NC Batt. S.S. had colors after all, but whether or not they carried them in battle subsequent to their new designation is beyond me.

http://veteransattic.com/cgi-bin/Print_Item.asp?1363

http://veteransattic.com/images/store/yadkineaglesflagmajorcabinetcard3.jpg

"The Yadkin Gray Eagles were the first company raised in Yadkin County, North Carolina. Upon their arrival in Virginia, the company was mustered into Confederate service as Company B, 11th Regiment North Carolina Volunteers, later the 21st Regiment North Carolina State Troops.

At the reorganization of the Confederate army at Manassass in February 1862, Companies B and E were detatched from the regiment and redesignated Companies A and B, 1st Battalion North Carolina Sharpshooters.Lt. Reuben E. Wilson of Company B was promoted to Captain on the company. When the battalion commander was promoted to regimental command, Wilson was promoted to major and given command of the battalion.

This battalion was an active participant in nearly every battle fought by the Army of Northern Virginia, from Manassas to Appomattox, and because of what was called their "peculiar and efficient drill", engaged in many skirmishes in which the main army did not participate.

The above flag was presented to the Yadkin Gray Eagles upon their departure for Virginia. It was made from the silk dresses of the young ladies of the county and presented to the company by Miss Lou Glen, later Mrs. Joseph Williams. The captain, in receiving it on behalf of the company, closed his speach with these words:

"When this cruel war is over, Miss Lou,
This flag untarnished shall be returned to you."

This is perhaps the only Confederate company flag that was carried through twenty-six battles, from Manassas to Appomattox, through the war and returned "untarnished," to its donors. In 1898, the daughter of Mrs. Williams, Mrs. Robert Daniels, was the guardian of the flag. THe flag was later presented to the state of North Carolina.

On August 9, 1862, in a charge against the enemy near Warrenton, Va., Major Wilson was severly wounded when a minie ball broke both bones of the right forearm. At the same time, his left leg was shattered below the knee ba a grape-shot, which disabled him for several months. On April 2, 1865, in a charge at Petersburg, he was again wounded, his left leg cut off by a shell. He was hospitalized, paroled on April 21, rearrested, and taken to Libby Prison, where he remained until December 20."

Tar Heel
12-14-2015, 02:26 AM
It seems the 1st NC Batt. S.S. had colors after all, but whether or not they carried them in battle subsequent to their new designation is beyond me.

http://veteransattic.com/cgi-bin/Print_Item.asp?1363
Nice find! Looks like a variation on the CSA First National, although the colors of the bars are hard to make out.

-Mitchell-
12-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Thanks Tar Heel! Yes, it appears to be the CSA First National with "Yadkin Gray Eagles" inscribed in white and gold on the lower section of the flag. I would absolutely love to see these colors represent Company A, 1st North Carolina Battalion Sharpshooters in game!

Arkansan
12-15-2015, 09:49 AM
For fun.
11thMS Co. G Lamar Rifles

Replica References

Arkansan
12-18-2015, 11:47 PM
2nd Battle flag of the 11th Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Based off the authentic flag captured at Antietam by the 2nd Massachusetts Infantry Regiment.
Currently in the US Army Heritage Museum / Photo Courtesy of U.S. Army

Octavian360
12-25-2015, 05:03 AM
2nd Battle flag of the 11th Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Based off the authentic flag captured at Antietam by the 2nd Massachusetts Infantry Regiment.
Currently in the US Army Heritage Museum / Photo Courtesy of U.S. Army

Did you do that in MSPaint?

PvtPalmer11pvi
12-31-2015, 02:16 PM

I have a flag obsession and I wanted to Chime in since I've been inactive for so very long ;)

A. P. Hill
01-01-2016, 01:50 PM
IF you're a member ... Here's a rather extensive site with company/regimental/etc banners and flags.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/289215607298470998/

Jeffrey Miller
01-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Gute arbeit Hinkel!

Bravescot
01-04-2016, 05:02 PM
I'm curious to see which colours are released next by Hinkel ;) hahaha

-Mitchell-
01-04-2016, 05:19 PM
*crosses fingers* 1st NC Batt. SS, First National "Yadkin Gray Eagles" :o

http://veteransattic.com/images/store/yadkineaglesflagmajorcabinetcard3.jpg

Hinkel
01-04-2016, 06:31 PM
*crosses fingers* 1st NC Batt. SS, First National "Yadkin Gray Eagles" :o

Sorry, I think they are to unimportant for an own flag.. :(

-Mitchell-
01-04-2016, 06:33 PM
:( well in that case, *crosses fingers* any NC colors!