PDA

View Full Version : Federal Uniforms for CS Units

Tarheel
12-01-2015, 02:43 PM
Now, before I explain my rationale for this suggestion, I am by no means suggesting all CS units should be able to use Federal uniforms for all battles/scenarios. However, I think it would be cool to see some CS units wearing Federal uniforms for actions around the lower bridge at Sharpsburg (aka Burnside's Bridge).

It's well documented that some units of A. P. Hill's Light Division that arrived towards the end of the Battle of Sharpsburg were wearing Federal uniforms they had captured from the arsenal in Harper's Ferry a few days before. In fact, this was one of the reasons why Hill's counterattack west of the bridge was so successful. Burnside's men weren't aware that Hill had arrived on the field and were further caught by surprise when men in Federal uniforms began firing on them. Burnside's flank collapsed and the Confederates were saved from a looming defeat.

I think the presence of CS units in Federal uniforms would make the Burnside's Bridge scenario(s) interesting, as the Federals (and Confederates to a degree) would have to double-check before firing on distant troops. I don't think this would be too difficult to accomplish, since Federal uniforms are already being made for the Federal army, but I'm not a game dev so feel free to correct me.

Just $0.02 from a Civil War nerd.

Octavian360
12-01-2015, 02:50 PM
If there were confederate units during the time of the maryland campaign that wore blue, im sure the Devs plan on implementing it. For another example on the union side, the 7th Wisc. early on wore Grey uniforms.

Tarheel
12-01-2015, 03:00 PM
If there were confederate units during the time of the maryland campaign that wore blue, im sure the Devs plan on implementing it. For another example on the union side, the 7th Wisc. early on wore Grey uniforms.

Thanks for your reply, but I think we're talking about two different situations. By late 1862, most CS units had transitioned out of the uniforms they were wearing at the beginning of the war. The CS depots just couldn't afford to make the fancier uniforms that were seen at early battles such as First Manassas and the Seven Days battles. At Sharpsburg (or Antietam for you Yankees), most CS units were wearing simpler uniforms of different shades of grey.

I'm referring to CS units specifically wearing captured Federal uniforms.

Octavian360
12-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Thanks for your reply, but I think we're talking about two different situations. By late 1862, most CS units had transitioned out of the uniforms they were wearing at the beginning of the war. The CS depots just couldn't afford to make the fancier uniforms that were seen at early battles such as First Manassas and the Seven Days battles. At Sharpsburg (or Antietam for you Yankees), most CS units were wearing simpler uniforms of different shades of grey.

I'm referring to CS units specifically wearing captured Federal uniforms.

Oh I see ok, I misunderstood gotcha - thanks for clarification! I think that would be a neat feature.

Tarheel
12-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Oh I see ok, I misunderstood gotcha - thanks for clarification! I think that would be a neat feature.

It's definitely not a high priority idea, but since the game is advertised as being historically accurate, I thought it'd be a neat little detail to see in game.

Rithal
12-05-2015, 06:05 AM
This is definitely some valuable information. The developers might choose to act on it. :)

If you can cite some sources for the events you mentioned, it will probably be even more convincing. After all, historical accuracy is one of the main priorities.

Tarheel
12-05-2015, 03:47 PM
This is definitely some valuable information. The developers might choose to act on it. :)

If you can cite some sources for the events you mentioned, it will probably be even more convincing. After all, historical accuracy is one of the main priorities.

Here's a few I was able to dig up:

Capture of Harpers Ferry: Confederate soldiers feasted on Union food supplies and helped themselves to fresh blue Federal uniforms, which would cause some confusion in the coming days. (Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam, P. 153-154)

Hill's Attack: On September 17, 1862, another Union attack was stopped dead in its tracks by pure confusion. Troops under Confederate General A.P. Hill had captured many blue Federal uniforms at Harpers Ferry, Virginia, just before the battle of Antietam. (Uniforms of any kind were in short supply in the Confederate army.) A.P. Hill’s troops made a surprise hit on the Union flank. At first, even Robert E. Lee was not sure which side they were on – since it took him a while to see their Confederate battle flag! The Union soldiers were also confused – especially since they saw the blue uniforms and held their fire. Eventually, the stunned Union soldiers retreated. (Battle Cry of Freedom, P. 544)

Hill's Attack: A. P. Hill's division arrived at 3:30 p.m. Hill divided his column, with two brigades moving southeast to guard his flank and the other three, about 2,000 men, moving to the right of Toombs's brigade and preparing for a counterattack. At 3:40 p.m., Brig. Gen. Maxcy Gregg's brigade of South Carolinians attacked the 16th Connecticut on Rodman's left flank in the cornfield of farmer John Otto. The Connecticut men had been in service for only three weeks, and their line disintegrated with 185 casualties. The 4th Rhode Island came up on the right, but they had poor visibility amid the high stalks of corn, and they were disoriented because many of the Confederates were wearing Union uniforms captured at Harpers Ferry. They also broke and ran, leaving the 8th Connecticut far out in advance and isolated. They were enveloped and driven down the hills toward Antietam Creek. (The Bloodiest Day: The Battle of Antietam, P. 136-137)

A. P. Hill
12-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Let it be noted that confederates might not be dressed entirely in union garb. What was confusing was the number of soldiers needing new shirts or jackets.

But, yeah, I agree, when selecting to build a confederate unit, they should have a small selection of union equipage to chose from as individual items, not to be dressed entirely as a union soldier.

Tarheel
12-05-2015, 11:41 PM
Found a couple more sources. I really like the second account:

Harpers Ferry and Hill's Attack at Sharpsburg: On September 15th and 16th, one week into the Sharpsburg campaign, Hill’s division was left to sort out the huge quantity of quartermaster stores captured at Harpers Ferry and the soldiers began seizing and wearing enemy clothing on a large scale, coats as well as trousers. When Hill’s division approached Sharpsburg by forced march on September 17th, Lee and his staff had difficulty identifying it as a Confederate formation and when its advance guard (Gregg’s brigade) struck the enemy, the latter were thrown into confusion because the Confederates were wearing blue uniforms. Four days after the battle, Major J. M. Comly of the 23rd Ohio noted Gregg’s men “had uniforms similar to ours, and which (I have since been informed by a prisoner) were taken at Harper’s Ferry.” (Battles & Leaders, Vol.2, P. 655)

Hill's Division at Fredericksburg, Three Months After the Battle of Sharpsburg: Pvt. Samuel H. Darnell of Archer’s brigade of Hill’s division remembered escaping from the Federals after his unit was overrun at Fredericksburg on December 13th 1862, by the following means: “I had on a Yankey coat and another coat over it. I got the Yankey coat at Harpasfirry. I throwed my top coat open so they could see the under coat so them seeing I had on one of there coats they never ordered me to throw down my gun[.] they fullowed our men some distance about a quarter of a mile. I went on with them as far as they went my way…” (Veterans Questionnaire, Tennessee State Library & Archives)

Hinkel
12-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Hmm, you mean something like this?
Its nothing official! Its mainly a small test :)

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/29060086/cs_blue.jpg

Tarheel
12-07-2015, 02:33 PM
Hmm, you mean something like this?
Its nothing official! Its mainly a small test :)

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/29060086/cs_blue.jpg

That looks AWESOME!

A. P. Hill
12-07-2015, 02:54 PM
US buckles need turned upside-down on confederates. ;) Looks awesome Hinkel.

-Mitchell-
12-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Looks amazing, Hinkel! :cool:

Hethwill_Khan
12-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Those blue boys mixed with the gray / brown will give such a great irregular broken look that it can actually depict exactly what was being posted.
Great work.

Josy_Wales
12-07-2015, 05:17 PM
US buckles need turned upside-down on confederates. ;) Looks awesome Hinkel.

Just what I was thinking ;)
Seeing that screenshot instantly made me think of that Ride with the Devil scene, when the rebels are dressed in union clothing and one has the US buckle turned upside-down.

Id love to see this being one of those features you unlock after playing for a while (for veterans).

William F. Randolph
12-14-2015, 11:20 PM
Badass pic

Jeffrey Miller
01-04-2016, 07:17 AM
Yes, just what he was thinking other than the belt buckles being turned upside down or replaced. This will also work for a late war mod like 1865!