PDA

View Full Version : Fictional Companies in this community

Octavian360
12-03-2015, 02:47 AM
There has been a lengthy discussion occurring on a newly founded fictional company. I was going to reply to the recruitment thread with my two cents on the topic, however, instead of defaming them more with being against their name usage. I think this discussion should move away from that thread and into a more neutral ground (hope everyone is ok with that).

My thought on the subject
While with the company system and what we know of it so far, I dont think this will be possible at all since you have to choose a historical unit during that time period. I think the general philosophy of naming a clan (these groups are not realistic enough to be labeled units) a fictional name E.g. Jester Company, will encourage more people who come from outside the realism community to create groups like the example given above. It will create a counterproductive environment within the community; creating a wide divide between those who are trying to be at the very best semi-realistic with choosing a name such as "Co. A, 2nd Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment." We shouldn't be too worried that this will be allowed though due to the established guidelines that the Company system has in place, however, something the community should very much think about. Just my two cents.

Jamez
12-03-2015, 03:39 AM
It has been stated that this company system is still in the works and is subject to changes and possibly even complete overhauls. We may see a complete prevention of creating fictional companies or we may end up seeing the ability to do so being implemented into the game.

What people do need to understand and remember is not to jump to conclusions when seeing a fictional company. Just because they are not going to follow your ways of historical accuracy doesn't make them any less entitled to be a part of this community and enjoy the game being developed for us. I for one am interested in what people will create.

Tarheel
12-03-2015, 04:30 PM
It has been stated that this company system is still in the works and is subject to changes and possibly even complete overhauls. We may see a complete prevention of creating fictional companies or we may end up seeing the ability to do so being implemented into the game.

What people do need to understand and remember is not to jump to conclusions when seeing a fictional company. Just because they are not going to follow your ways of historical accuracy doesn't make them any less entitled to be a part of this community and enjoy the game being developed for us. I for one am interested in what people will create.

I agree with allowing people to create fictional companies, as long as they are somewhat believable to the time period and don't stand out as completely ridiculous. So, I'd be ok with Co. A "The Jesters" or Co. G "The Crazy Boys". Not so much Co. Z "The Butt Munchers" or Co. Y "The YOLO Gang".

O'Donovan
12-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Just because they are not going to follow your ways of historical accuracy doesn't make them any less entitled to be a part of this community and enjoy the game being developed for us.

Actually, in a way, it does make them "less entitled." The very first question and answer in the game FAQ is this:

Q: What is War of Rights?

A: War of Rights is a large-scale online authentic civil war first person experience featuring massive battles, a chain of command system, regiments and an extraordinary historical attention to detail.

The term "authentic" and phrase "extraordinary historical attention to detail" CLEARLY show this is supposed to be a game focused on what really happened at the time and place we'll be recreating in the game. Do real life reenactors allow fictional units? They too have an authentic experience and extraordinary historical attention to detail, so we can expect this game to be, in this very important way, an online equivalent to live action historical reenactment.

I've never been a reenactor myself, but I would consider it an insult to the brave men who fought and died during the Civil War to gimmick up a game made in their memory with units sporting funny or non-period names, just as real life reenactors would.

-Irish

A. P. Hill
12-05-2015, 09:42 PM
Nailed it good!

Congrats.

O'Donovan
12-05-2015, 09:51 PM
Nailed it good!

Congrats.

Many thanks.

Actually, one of the things that drew me to the Bucktails was that Bravescot was requiring that anyone joining the unit take the name of someone who was historically in the company. Whenever I play the game, I'm going to be thinking of the real Private John Dugan, his family, and his descendents. I will be trying to honor them with my actions ingame, and to recreate the incredible bravery and skill shown by the real life Bucktails during the war. That makes the game SO much richer and more meaningful for me. I've never been a Civil War buff, but I've recently read hours and hours about the Bucktails, and have discovered the incredible story of some amazing soldiers.

-Irish

A. P. Hill
12-05-2015, 09:57 PM
This is good. :)

There's a whole war out there outside of the Bucktails. Make sure you cover it all. And its not just about the fighting.

Jamez
12-05-2015, 10:02 PM
So you believe just because they do not want to follow with historical accuracy they are not allowed to enjoy the game?

Tarheel
12-06-2015, 12:04 AM
Many thanks.

Actually, one of the things that drew me to the Bucktails was that Bravescot was requiring that anyone joining the unit take the name of someone who was historically in the company. Whenever I play the game, I'm going to be thinking of the real Private John Dugan, his family, and his descendents. I will be trying to honor them with my actions ingame, and to recreate the incredible bravery and skill shown by the real life Bucktails during the war. That makes the game SO much richer and more meaningful for me. I've never been a Civil War buff, but I've recently read hours and hours about the Bucktails, and have discovered the incredible story of some amazing soldiers.

-Irish

That's pretty neat actually. Hope more companies take this approach to the game.

Devmc99
12-06-2015, 05:08 AM
I completely agree with o donovans post above. I understand some people don't want to do historical companies. I just wish everyone tried to go down the path of using actual company names. Just kind of odd to see something like "1st space marines" in a authentic civil war game.

Rithal
12-06-2015, 05:41 AM
I see it like this. If someone wants to make up a fake unit, more power to him/her.

While you may see a name as silly or what have you, it really is to the choice of the creator of the unit. It seems out of place to try to tell someone what he/she can do with his/her own unit. If you don't like it, feel free to attempt to decimate said unit on the field of battle. :p

O'Donovan
12-06-2015, 09:04 PM
So you believe just because they do not want to follow with historical accuracy they are not allowed to enjoy the game?

From the FAQ, AGAIN:

1) authentic civil war first person experience
2) extraordinary historical attention to detail.

They can enjoy the game just fine, if they play THIS GAME. If they do not want to play with historical accuracy, they do not want to play WoR.

I see it like this. If someone wants to make up a fake unit, more power to him/her.

While you may see a name as silly or what have you, it really is to the choice of the creator of the unit.

No... The players don't own the game. It really is "to the choice" of the developers. If you want to play their game, play by their rules.

It seems out of place to try to tell someone what he/she can do with his/her own unit. If you don't like it, feel free to attempt to decimate said unit on the field of battle. :p

It seems out of place for a few people to ruin a historical recreation simulation game for everyone else. It doesn't seem out of place at all for people to have to follow rules. If you're that selfish that you want to ruin others' gaming experience because you want to show off what a great name you can invent, you're not a team player. This game, above all, is going to DEPEND on team players.

The few players who get butthurt because they can't have modern and/or made up names will be a drop in a bucket compared to all the players who will be attracted to this game for just this very reason.

-Irish

Jamez
12-06-2015, 09:17 PM
How do you expect this community to grow if you are so hostile to anyone who doesn't see the same way you do?

Celt
12-06-2015, 09:31 PM
@O'Donovan

You know when say that, it wasn't them signing a binding contract. It was a sign of their intent, not a blood oath.

I know I wouldn't be crazy about some company called something really immature, but does it really hurt the game is say, I don't know, there's a company called "Militaires sans Frontieres", which is a reference to Metal Gear? Other than [MSF] being in their names, does it really impact anything else?

It's not as if their uniforms would be changed, and the nature of the game means anyone who doesn't keep to line tactics is penalised/doesn't get bonuses.

Bravescot
12-06-2015, 11:35 PM
People may pick any names they want.

End of discussion.