Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Exclusive Pledge Uniforms Question/Suggestion

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Octavian360 View Post
    This discussion makes it seem like people want to pay for specific uniforms in-game and use them in unrealistic fashion. We shouldnt see a Regular union group running around in Hardee's Hat's.
    i dont think so because i thought a you choose a regiment like in NaS. In my opinion there will be 2 possibilities: 1st you can use the regular uniform who can use everybody or you can wear (if it is available for this regiment) your exclusive uniform.

That would be the best solution
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02

CSA Brigadier General

Some examples of how great the 11th Mississippi Uniform was.

Company A- University Greys

Company G- Lamar Rifles

Mississippi adopted Red as the trim color for Infantry rather than Light Blue. <--- And then I jizzed, in my pants.
    I'm aware that this was all early on in the war, but I hope to a least see some of it displayed in the 11th Mississippi.
    11th Mississippi Infantry, "Lamar Rifles" Company G [NA]

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    I doubt those boys looked like that by anywhere near the middle of the war .... and far worse towards the middle of it.

This Discussion right here made me feel relieved for not donating to what otherwise i found to be a great idea of a game.

I didint donated back then when i saw the exclusive weapons & uniforms because of fear that something like this would happen, figures out i was (unfortunately) right.

Wanna know why? because you just flat out said you want backers to "stand out" in-game. So you give them a couple of weapons & uniforms that no one else will ever be able to play with (including some pretty famous stuff).

As another user said, this discussion also worries me about future microtransactions for "harmless cosmetics", that destroy the feel of the game.

When your doing a game that wants to be realistic, doing silly "exclusive backer uniforms" and specially backer exclusive weapons was a mistake. Not every game needs such things, specially one that at least seems to want to be realistic.
    Last edited by BR4ZIL; 12-18-2015 at 11:01 PM.

CSA Lieutenant General

The prices was fair and necessary. Even tho I donated the first time to major to show my support for the game, and raised it when I wasn't sure the kickstarter would make it, the prices really made the whole thing feel sirius and worth every peace of cash I gave. Why shouldn't the guys paying their work money/savings in the most critical phase get something in return? What is so wrong with that? You cant compare large companies game against indie games in terms of money and how they develop a game.

Quote Originally Posted by BR4ZIL View Post
    This Discussion right here made me feel relieved for not donating to what otherwise i found to be a great idea of a game.

I didint donated back then when i saw the exclusive weapons & uniforms because of fear that something like this would happen, figures out i was (unfortunately) right.

Wanna know why? because you just flat out said you want backers to "stand out" in-game. So you give them a couple of weapons & uniforms that no one else will ever be able to play with (including some pretty famous stuff).

As another user said, this discussion also worries me about future microtransactions for "harmless cosmetics", that destroy the feel of the game.

When your doing a game that wants to be realistic, doing silly "exclusive backer uniforms" and specially backer exclusive weapons was a mistake. Not every game needs such things, specially one that at least seems to want to be realistic.
    Each to their own opinion. I'm just glad our backers think our rewards are worth backing to get. If all were of your opinion there would be no game. Also - please tell me what's unrealistic in only some people get access to something? Realism does not equal to everyone having access to everything - far from it actually.

- Trusty

CSA Secretary of War

It really makes me wonder just what version of the Civil War these people are talking about. The reality of the Civil War was that there was no even distribution of weapons or uniforms. Many officers carried guns and swords that were presented to them by their states or home towns. The same goes for uniforms, yes many regiments eventually had uniforms and weapons that were standardized for their regiments but there still was often a shortage that required that some keep the ones they had or acquired what they could.

So if you are so concerned about "Realism" than you need to fully support that some people have weapons and uniforms that others do not. Lets please get away from this mentality of "Hey he's has something I don't", and accept the realism of this disparity.
    Captain Castile
    11th Mississippi Infantry Co. G "Lamar Rifles"

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Also - please tell me what's unrealistic in only some people get access to something? Realism does not equal to everyone having access to everything - far from it actually.

- Trusty
    Most of these people are too used to extreme balance in big backed games..
    Or don't want to part with money.
    11th Mississippi Infantry, "Lamar Rifles" Company G [NA]

I very much against backer exclusive in-content, its a cheap bait to initially get more funding but you detract future sales from everyone that finds this out later, see Expeditions: Conquistador for a very good example of that. Josy_Wales, if a KS needs THAT much amount of backer baits, it says alot more about the developers than anything else.

This is not about being indie studio or not, Wasteland 2, Original Sin, Pillars of Eternity, Jagged Alliance Flashback,Tesla Effect,Pathologic,Shadowrun and many... many other games didint had to resort such large amount of bait tactics.

As a backer, i expect the whole range of physical goodies and digital in-sights and other goodies (such as artwork, OST, etc), but do i need to feel special in-game? no. Should i receive exclusive weapons that no one else will ever be able to use? no.

If it as you say and it was "necessary" then i concur with what TrustyJam implied, it is best to have no game. If your gonna do it completely wrong, then dont do it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    Each to their own opinion. I'm just glad our backers think our rewards are worth backing to get. If all were of your opinion there would be no game. Also - please tell me what's unrealistic in only some people get access to something? Realism does not equal to everyone having access to everything - far from it actually.

- Trusty
    This just baffles me. Are you aware you just killed the possibility of every non-backer to role-play as the regiments that are backer exclusive?

You also even made the Colt Walker a backer-exclusive weapon... this makes me think this game will be very arcadey, maybe i was expecting too much from this game...

You call giving out a few weapons to a a very select few, to the point where the majority of players will never even see a colt walker in-game realism?

This game felt like novelty to me, even when i was looking this project with good eyes i knew it would probably never have a large community, a civil war game is very niche by default.

Now i am sure that it will die pretty quickly after release (just like Verdun did), if thats the kind of atitude you devs have regarding these things. Why not put some microtransactions along with it? Sell hats and all kinds of cosmetics (since those are harmless and surely dont just mess up the whole feel of the game, right? /sarcasm) if your gonna shoot yourselves in the foot, might as well go the whole way and follow in the examples of Payday 2 or Killing Floor 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansan View Post
    Most of these people are too used to extreme balance in big backed games..
    Or don't want to part with money.

Oh please, i have backed over 30 game projects on KS, i have almost 1000 games on Steam (search for General Plastro on steam).

Trust me, i have alot of disposable income to put in gaming. If i backed this, it would probably be the 50usd tier, just because i dont trust newcomer studios, but for "veteran" studios my donations usually go above that.

But this has nothing to do with Money, its about being silly and having wrong principles regarding Kickstarter (i find this idea of making content "exclusive" rather disgusting).

The developers are killing in-game options for the players, this isnt "balance" nor "extreme balance". My favorite FPS of all time is Red Orchestra, a game that is built around assymetric balance.

No, blocking people off from certain weapons is just backer bait, to me that shows the developers dont care what will be the consequences that such thing will affect the game in the long run, it is blocking a part of the game's arsenal from the get go.

I imagine that most backers here wont be playing this for more than a year (if the game survives that long), after that most players will NEVER even see the backer weapons in action. You think thats a good idea? You think having the players never even see a Colt Walker (a rather pretty damn iconic weapon) was a good idea?

Heck, i dont even defend "cosmetic exclusive stuff", but you devs took this whole KS exclusive shenanigans to a whole new level, to the point where i have to start looking at "cosmetic KS exclusive stuff" with better eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Almanza P. Baker View Post
    It really makes me wonder just what version of the Civil War these people are talking about. The reality of the Civil War was that there was no even distribution of weapons or uniforms. Many officers carried guns and swords that were presented to them by their states or home towns. The same goes for uniforms, yes many regiments eventually had uniforms and weapons that were standardized for their regiments but there still was often a shortage that required that some keep the ones they had or acquired what they could.

So if you are so concerned about "Realism" than you need to fully support that some people have weapons and uniforms that others do not. Lets please get away from this mentality of "Hey he's has something I don't", and accept the realism of this disparity.
    And who/what should determine who has or has not something in-game? The KS? bah... please. It should be determined in-game, not because you backed the game or not, might as well just bribe the devs for all the good stuff while we are at it.

But anyhow, i know i will gather zero sympathy here (for obvious reasons), so this is probably the last you guys will see of me. I will probably be watching this project once it hits Steam just to see how the developers atitude will be once the Steam community becomes aware of how much stuff is backer exclusive.
    Last edited by BR4ZIL; 12-19-2015 at 02:18 AM.