Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Does One Add Rank Icons?

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    I never found any evidence of blacksmith for artillery being a rank.
    Battery

The basic unit of artillery was the battery, which had 4 to 6 guns, was commanded by a captain, assisted by 4 lieutenants, 2 staff sergeants, 6 sergeants, 12 corporals, 6 artificers & farriers (blacksmiths), 2 buglers, 52 drivers and 70 cannoneers for a total of 155 men. It typically had 4 guns in the Confederacy and 6 guns in the Union. A battery is a subdivided into gun crews of 20 men and into sections of 2 gun crews, 2 or 3 sections per battery. A gun crew was commanded by a sergeant and a section by a lieutenant. Each gun was attached to a limber, which is a 2-wheel ammunition chest drawn by 3 pairs of horses in tandem, called lead, swing and wheel pairs. Each gun was supplied with 6 or more caissons, which are mounted on 2-wheel carts containing 2 or 3 ammunition chests. The caissons and limbers could be connected together (including extra wheel and connecting rod below the caisson) during travel. A traveling forge accompanied the battery.

http://www.thomaslegion.net/american....3KalDgkA.dpuf

smiley_salute.gif

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by JoseyWales View Post
    We are aware of this, thanks for your input!
    Can't wait to see them in their glory!
    11th Mississippi Infantry, "Lamar Rifles" Company G [NA]

USA General of the Army

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Battery

The basic unit of artillery was the battery, which had 4 to 6 guns, was commanded by a captain, assisted by 4 lieutenants, 2 staff sergeants, 6 sergeants, 12 corporals, 6 artificers & farriers (blacksmiths), 2 buglers, 52 drivers and 70 cannoneers for a total of 155 men. It typically had 4 guns in the Confederacy and 6 guns in the Union. A battery is a subdivided into gun crews of 20 men and into sections of 2 gun crews, 2 or 3 sections per battery. A gun crew was commanded by a sergeant and a section by a lieutenant. Each gun was attached to a limber, which is a 2-wheel ammunition chest drawn by 3 pairs of horses in tandem, called lead, swing and wheel pairs. Each gun was supplied with 6 or more caissons, which are mounted on 2-wheel carts containing 2 or 3 ammunition chests. The caissons and limbers could be connected together (including extra wheel and connecting rod below the caisson) during travel. A traveling forge accompanied the battery.

http://www.thomaslegion.net/american....3KalDgkA.dpuf

smiley_salute.gif
    That's great and all but still no image of what the rank looked like. For Cavalry, as shown, there was an actual denotation of the blacksmith rank. Are you sure blacksmiths and farriers in Artillery were not just appointments by name and not by physical denotation like in Cavalry.

USA Captain

Guys lets not take advantage of Bravescot's generosity. If there isnt a rank on the list, maybe you should learn how to do some basic graphic design.

USA General of the Army

That's great and all but still no image of what the rank looked like. For Cavalry, as shown, there was an actual denotation of the blacksmith rank. Are you sure blacksmiths and farriers in Artillery were not just appointments by name and not by physical denotation like in Cavalry.
    Knowing how the military works I put forth that what you see in the cavalry would be consistent in the artillery. At this period of time any department depending on horses / mules would have these rankings and equipment as well.

Octavian, I am not asking Bravescot to do anything, I merely brought up a point of view and he responded to me with his research. And I am answering his research with mine. Granted I have not found artillery insignia in my research as well, but Ithe regulations state these positions did exist.

The developers have also stated that they don't feel a player position would be appropriate nor appreciated, since this personnel would all be sent to the rear during a battle.

USA General of the Army

Ah I get you know! Basically the Cav icons but in red.

Let's be honest though......who'd use them or need them

USA General of the Army

Ah I get you know! Basically the Cav icons but in red. ...
    Exactly. And as I said every organization required to use horses & mules, (meaning quartermaster supply etc.,) would have these ranks in the design colors of that organization.

... Let's be honest though......who'd use them or need them
    Thus the developers decision not to include them. I am hopefull that this will change though.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Thus the developers decision not to include them. I am hopefull that this will change though.
    There are creative administrative ways you can handle some of these ranks such as the Company Quartermaster rank. If they are striving to be historically accurate they should put the rank in the game - just my opinion though.