Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Servers

Servers

So Shower thought time...

I will set the stage. You've just received a game that relies heavily on multiplayer. You sit down with your beverage of choice you wait patiently while it installs. You get in and... No body is online and those that are are separated into 500 different servers.

My proposal: Make a system so that there are only a couple different servers so that we make sure there are lots of full and almost full battlefields. Also have some servers not be equipped with whatever balance system is in place to that a whole company or brigade and get on together and practice without being split into teams.

Thoughts? Feedback? Rants?
    "The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on."-U.S. Grant
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."-Robert E. Lee
    Faugh a Ballagh
    "Fighting 69th"
    Pvt. Alastar Lane
    Company A

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Happens in this Game:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/299740/

Even though a load of people have bought it it's often quite hard to get full servers (during normal times you'll see two populated 32 Player servers) and before it went on Sale and got popularity it was a Ghost town where it was a miracle if you saw 15+ Players in a server.

Keeping player Numbers up during the initial Alpha/beta phase will be a problem (i've seen it happen with Miscreated and Squad) so it is probably best to just have a handful of servers and announce events via a Steam-Group to get them filled.

The thing that Killed the Player base in Miscreated was that it was so unstable and Glitchy initially. People wanted to play but due to constant crashing issues and the fact the Game was just really badly optimised Player numbers took a nosedive. I'm hoping even the first releases of WOR are relatively Stable and functional as that goes a very long way in keeping peoples interest otherwise they don't bother.
    Last edited by R21; 01-01-2016 at 01:36 AM.

CSA Captain

Though i cant find the original thread anymore we had the same discussion already. This "Make a system so that there are only a couple different servers" will result in the much hated matchmaking system which would be a disaster for WoR, initially there wont be much servers online and later on you may find servers hosted by the regiments. Populated or not, just lets see how things will develop.

Actually i cant see a problem here and i really would like to step away from pre-release panic.
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Not pre-Release panic, just hoping they can learn a lesson from similar Games in the past and their issues :: i.e. Even in a Closed Alpha/Beta if the Game is hard crashing or there are lots of De-sync issues Player Numbers quickly fall off and are very hard to get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Actually i cant see a problem here and i really would like to step away from pre-release panic.
    I wasn't "Panicking" i was simply looking at alternatives that may or may not help the game's launch
    Last edited by Verdaka; 01-01-2016 at 05:00 PM.
    "The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on."-U.S. Grant
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."-Robert E. Lee
    Faugh a Ballagh
    "Fighting 69th"
    Pvt. Alastar Lane
    Company A

CSA Major

Agreed, no panic heard here.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Though i cant find the original thread anymore we had the same discussion already. This "Make a system so that there are only a couple different servers" will result in the much hated matchmaking system which would be a disaster for WoR, initially there wont be much servers online and later on you may find servers hosted by the regiments. Populated or not, just lets see how things will develop.

I would really rather it if WoR had a good amount of official servers hosted by the developers, still allow people to have their own but just make sure there are official ones. Admins on privately owned servers are almost always cancerous and add stupid rules to the server or enforce rules based on their own opinions.

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Speaking of servers:

https://youtu.be/rNh0brzii7s?t=810

I'm hoping it's possible but i'm still cynical.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by R21 View Post
    Speaking of servers:

https://youtu.be/rNh0brzii7s?t=810

I'm hoping it's possible but i'm still cynical.
    As am I, still hoping for a 200vs200+ setup.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Verdaka View Post
    I wasn't "Panicking" i was simply looking at alternatives that may or may not help the game's launch
    i know, but there have been numerous posts like that "fearing" over ruled servers/ empty servers and so on. I think there in closed alpha/ beta there will only be campfire games hosted ones, later on private ones. We will see how that works and which servers will get acceptance based on the given rules those are following.

I would really rather it if WoR had a good amount of official servers hosted by the developers, still allow people to have their own but just make sure there are official ones. Admins on privately owned servers are almost always cancerous and add stupid rules to the server or enforce rules based on their own opinions
    Their servers, their rules...if no one likes to play on them those will disappear
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth