Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More character models?

CSA Captain

More character models?

I would like to see a larger verity of different body models for the characters. Since everyone isn't the same length or width in real life (Obviously). I think it would be a nice detail that would make the game feel more realistic.
    Thank you for making this game a reality, I'm looking forward to it!

USA Sergeant

I agree - as long as we don't get 300 pond privates... like you se at reenactments.
    The largest sizes of uniformes issued by the federal government had a breast measure of 42" Think that tell us a lot about the size of the soldiers.

Also I hope the devs remember that the average soldiers was not 180cm tall (or whatever is the average in the US today)

I don't have a number of the civil war, but danish soldiers in 1864 was 166cm tall on average...
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA General of the Army

Bloody hell.....I'd have been a giant! I'm 185cm (US average is 177 cm in 2015) with a breast measurement of 43''! Goes to show how the style of life back then really stunned growth

USA Sergeant

Yep. Iam 180cm and about 80kg... and my frock coat is size 42

Uniform jackets was made in four sizes.
    Breast massure was 36, 38, 40, and 42

When new uniforms was shipped to a unit they where not shipped to size but by a standard spread.
    20%, 40%, 30%, 10%
    So 40% of the men was issued a size 38

An interesting detail is that the quatermaster department had to change the standard for the men in the west and they where issued larger shoes.

btw some more info can be fond here:
    http://www.cjdaley.com/issuesizes.htm
    http://www.cjdaley.com/issueshipping.htm

They can naturally all be found in the relevant quartermaster manual.

CSA Major

Agreed. Perhaps less on the 'larger diamiter size' though.

And me too. I'm 6,5ft and the tallest enlisted rifleman in 1800 wasn't even 6ft. Would have been the guards or heavy cav for me 200 years ago....

While the idea is great, its always causing a problem for game developers.
    Different soldier lengths would require different set of animations as well as different hit boxes. So the amount of work which would be needed for that has to be balanced against the benefit of such a feature

USA Sergeant

Understandable...

Make the model be 165-170cm tall and able to fit a size 38-40 and Iam happy.

They're is a lot of different sizes back then and surprisingly a decent amount of bulky guys.
    There is several different letters and accounts of guys being issued size 48 blouses, and you would also have stuff sent from home.
    I have a great picture of a federal soldier late in the war who looked to be a decent size man but i would have to scrounge it up and post a link to it.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    While the idea is great, its always causing a problem for game developers.
    Different soldier lengths would require different set of animations as well as different hit boxes. So the amount of work which would be needed for that has to be balanced against the benefit of such a feature
    Perhaps it could be a stretch goal in the future then? It would be great to see, but not exactly necessary, so it should definitely low on the list of priorities. Perhaps start with two or three body sizes and later in development or post-release make some more?
    "I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Major General John Sedgwick: His last words.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Henronicus View Post
    Perhaps it could be a stretch goal in the future then? It would be great to see, but not exactly necessary, so it should definitely low on the list of priorities. Perhaps start with two or three body sizes and later in development or post-release make some more?
    Good idea!