Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is with the Obcession with the American Civil War outside of the US

CSA Colonel

What is with the Obcession with the American Civil War outside of the US

Please I would love to know why.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by DomDowg View Post
    Please I would love to know why.
    Well I'm not a non-American, but I would say it probably has something to do with the heavy romanticizing of the war in and outside of the U.S across all medias. Something about it just attracts those who are interested in war no matter where they are from. It could be the circumstances under which many fought, or it could be the style of fighting but there is definitely something about it that draws everyone's eye; much like the Napoleonic Wars in a sense.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

USA Sergeant

I usually blame TV for running North and South many years ago...
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

CSA Captain

i am fascinated from the bloody battles, the way those were fought and lots of "what if" scenarios
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth

USA 1st Lieutenant

It isn't really. Most popular wars are the two world wars in the UK. After that probably the cold war

USA Captain

Perhaps it's because it's one of the last wars that was still fought in the ''old style''. Two armies meeting on a battlefield and duking it out. That concept, of the two armies facing off against each other has been heavily romanticised as well. Combine that with other factors, such as that it might be (I'm not sure about this) the first big war that featured photography and such, good documentation, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    I usually blame TV for running North and South many years ago...
    Hell yeah.. watched it in 1990 or so and I became more and more interested in the war.
    Then, I got my first amiga 500 computer and played the game "North and South" all the time

CSA Major

Not sure if we here in the UK we would consider ourselves 'obsessed'.

It is covered by some syllabus at some schools but it'd not primary history to be taught.

With regards to American Civil war Reenactments it'll have something to do with the cost of reencating it. It's very cheap to get a uniform and a rifle over here, and probaly the same in europe and the states. Naturally in the UK the English Civil War is more popular on the field. I'd say followed closely by WW2 then maybe dark ages.

CSA Major

I'd be more interested to know how popular the English Civil War is over in the United States.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Leifr View Post
    I'd be more interested to know how popular the English Civil War is over in the United States.
    you had a civil war ?

just kidding, i can tell you that the war of the roses is not even mentioned in German schools...at least during my time.
    " ...it appears the Virginia Military Institute will be heard from today."

With virtue as our beacon. Our cause is charged as treason, Battle worn and starving. Through the hell of war we'll keep marching. The birth of our new nation
    - Iced Earth