Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st LA Zouave Battalion Co. B - "Louisiana Tigers"

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by dannycalifornia View Post
    Congratulations Legion! Here is my appliaction

1. Steam Link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/billybobg
    2. Age: 19
    3. Country: Amsterdam, Netherlands (I've also live in Norway and USA for a few years)
    4. Name you would like to use in the company: Preferably William
    5. Experience/Qualifications: I'm very well read on history and historical facts and have a huge passion for this game.
    6. Role applying for: Sgt., Lieutenant, etc:
    Whatever you think would fit me to be honest.

Again, thank you.
    Welcome to the company. I will review your info and place you on the roster soon.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Captain

Huzzah for the Louisiana Tigers! Good Luck!
    Captain Benjamin J. West of the 21st Mississippi Infantry, 1st Battalion,
    Co. D Jeff Davis Guards

CSA Major

The 1st LA would like to welcome Chad Crowe, our new 1st Lt.

hey guys, quick question. Looking for a company to play with when this games comes out. Had my heart set on a confederate zouave reg. You mentioned in your description that this regiments zouave uniform is an option in the game, correct? Also, will it be able to be customized to some degree like the other uniforms can be shuffled around a little. Tougher for a zouave uniform but say hat or back pack or whatever. You guys have any idea? Thanks. Also, how many guys are you up to in the company, what country are you out of, time zone you will be using. I've read through the site before, forgotten it all if it was mentioned. Also, I noticed that there is a Wheat's Tigers company created as well...have you spoken to them about merging or are they going to be a separate company in the same regiment?
    Last edited by JG93; 03-17-2016 at 01:26 AM.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by JG93 View Post
    hey guys, quick question. Looking for a company to play with when this games comes out. Had my heart set on a confederate zouave reg. You mentioned in your description that this regiments zouave uniform is an option in the game, correct? Also, will it be able to be customized to some degree like the other uniforms can be shuffled around a little. Tougher for a zouave uniform but say hat or back pack or whatever. You guys have any idea? Thanks. Also, how many guys are you up to in the company, what country are you out of, time zone you will be using. I've read through the site before, forgotten it all if it was mentioned. Also, I noticed that there is a Wheat's Tigers company created as well...have you spoken to them about merging or are they going to be a separate company in the same regiment?
    This company and the 5th are separate companies. The 5th is an infantry regiment in Hay's Brigade, the 1st LA Zouaves are a Zouave battalion in Starkes Brigade. The 5th wore regular confederate uniforms, The 1st LA Zouaves wore Zouave uniforms. Both brigades are known as Tigers so it can get confusing.
    This company will allow for customization once they have it in game, but early on it will just be the Zouave uniform that they have, we will stick to the historical uniforms but we will allow whatever customization the devs put in game.
    We only have three men in our company at the moment, I know it's small but we hope to grow as the game nears release, feel free to join if you like and please don't let our small size deter you.
    If you have any other questions just ask.
    Sincerely, Captain Jesse Crosby 1st LA Zouave Battalion Co. B

Thanks for the quick response. I'll will be following you guys closely. I won't be doing anything until the game is actually released. Then I will see how everything looks.

What the hell makes them Zouaves then...I always thought they needed the uniform to be that. Figure I bring the conversation back to your page.

CSA Major

What the hell makes them Zouaves then...I always thought they needed the uniform to be that. Figure I bring the conversation back to your page.
    Lol, most of the time they just took the name zouave even if they didn't have a zouave style uniform. Zouaves were popular back then and people liked the idea, so companies started to form and call themselves zouaves.
    Alot of them did have zouave uniforms but most of the time it was just individual companies that had them and not the whole regiment.

Make sense, the 5th LA appeared to have their K company as Zouaves...or at least the name.

CSA Major

Make sense, the 5th LA appeared to have their K company as Zouaves...or at least the name.
    Probably just in name, but I'm not sure. The problem is that so much information about southern units/uniforms has been lost or destroyed so it makes it very hard to find out what their uniform looked like unless the unit was very popular (like the Tiger Rifles, or Coppens Zouaves)

Edit: found some interesting info from a book where a soldier from coppens talks of the uniform that they wore.

Nov. 1928 pg. 425 With the Louisiana by J.W. Minnich "De Gourney's Battalion was organized in New Orleans in March, 1861, as the fifth company of Coppens Battalion of Louisiana Zouaves, copied after the French "Zouave d' Afrique," and were quite the objects of interest and curiosity wherever we went or were seen during those early days. Only a year or so before Ellsworth's Zouaves had created a furore throughout the country in their parade from Chicago to New York and Boston-if not mistaken. Coppens determined to go Ellsworth one better by organizing a battalion on strictly French lines, a French corps in every detail. The official language was French, uniforms and all accouterments, from gaiters to skull caps with blue tassels and shaven forelock, and verry baggy trousers, veritable "red, white and blues," but the white was not conspicuous, only showing on the gaiters. Black shoes and leather leggings-yes, we were a sight and a wonder all along the route from Penscacola to Richmond and Yorktown..."
    Last edited by Legion; 03-17-2016 at 03:26 AM.