Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Extra ranks?

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Challis89 View Post
    I suppose you have a point and would work however you wouldn't be allowed to use that rank insignia on the uniforms as it would detract from the historical accuracy this game strives for. Something i hope for is in historical battles where your fighting as a company rather than solo your company ranks automatically (as long as it existed) on your uniform.
    yeah i wasnt mean that they show up but like if someones name shows somewhere it has the rank
    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e4/e6/51/e4e6516dc8572353cf4a5048d0c8b492--civil-war-art-gettysburg-battlefield.jpg

USA Sergeant

The lance corporal was only used during the first training and organisation of a regiment... it was a temporary rank with no extra pay or anything, so unless we get 2 map with a deport and camp for training, adding it to the game wold not make much sense.

As have be covered in other topics, the Quartermaster sergeant and Ordnance sergeant where not found in the infantry companies.
    (the first was a battalion position and 1st sergeant took care of the weapons in a infantry company)

"Krautz NCOs" cover this very well.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

USA General of the Army

And yet most other sources point to infantry regiments have 1 Quartermaster Sergeant.

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by thomas aagaard View Post
    The lance corporal was only used during the first training and organisation of a regiment... it was a temporary rank with no extra pay or anything, so unless we get 2 map with a deport and camp for training, adding it to the game wold not make much sense.

As have be covered in other topics, the Quartermaster sergeant and Ordnance sergeant where not found in the infantry companies.
    (the first was a battalion position and 1st sergeant took care of the weapons in a infantry company)

"Krautz NCOs" cover this very well.
    Quatermaster sergeants were in the infantry companies but they weren't in the battle line, they took care of the supply wagon for the company and other things.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Bravescot View Post
    And yet most other sources point to infantry regiments have 1 Quartermaster Sergeant.
    Yes the Battalion had one... the companies did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Quatermaster sergeants were in the infantry companies but they weren't in the battle line, they took care of the supply wagon for the company and other things.
    This have been debated before.
    Kautz is very clear in his "NCO's" about what ranks is where in the organisation of a infantry regiment and infantry company.
    The Quatermaster sergeant is a battalion position.
    Artillery and cavalry had them in the companies... The infantry did not.

Look it up in Para 294 in "Kautz NCOs" or if you want to go to the primary source:
    Look up Gen.Order No 126, 1862 and act of March 3, 1863 section 37.
    (its quoted in his books "The company clerk" §277 if you don't want to find the Acts)

The infantry company got:
    1x captain,
    1x 1st LT,
    1x 2nd LT,
    1x 1st SG,
    4x SGs,
    8x CPLs,
    2x musicians
    1x wagoner
    and 64-82 privates.

(yes, the numbers might be smaller, but it didn't allow more then what is on that list)

There are no Quatermaster sergeant on that list.

For the day to day stuff the 1st sergeant took care of cartridges, weapons and food.
    In combat the (Battalion) quatermaster sergeant was the one who had to make sure the regiment was resupplied if needed.

In the cavalry and artillery it was common for a "company" to operate away from its battalion structure, so they needed the quatermaster sergeant... This was not the case with a infantry company. And if a company was left to guard a bridge or something then the 1st sergeant did the work in this area.

And yes Kautz is a Union officer, but this is based on the prewar US army regulations... and they where copied almost word for word by the CSA army..
    So unless you got a very clear primary source that show the CSA regulation not following the US regulation, you can expect Kautz to be correct about the CSA army also.

USA General of the Army

I think you've gone and simply stated what most people know to be simple common knowledge

USA Sergeant

clearly RhettVito and Legion didn't know... ;-)

And the idea that the companies did have one, have been written in other topics...

CSA Brigadier General

To be fair thomas we have the sources for what was company and Regimental ranks so you did just repeat what we have been told the link is pretty good btw a great find by jager However I didn't know there was a dedicated wagon driver who o doesn't think we need that as a rank.
    Last edited by Challis89; 03-01-2016 at 11:47 AM.

sig courtesy of MadWolf 42nd Pen

CSA Captain

Cool topic here about the Lance Cpl, and Sgt Ranks. I learned something new. I would like to put my opinion into this. I myself want this game to be as realistic as possible, ranks included. Though I had a similar discussion before about made up ranks. The person made the argument that they have made up ranks to help keep the people in his game regiment feeling accomplished without having to promote them to high to fast because of all these in between ranks. So this thing should be up to the CO of the company. The game on the other hand should just have the rank insignia that were just there for the people fighting in the battle, for your character creation.

CSA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1515g View Post
    Cool topic here about the Lance Cpl, and Sgt Ranks. I learned something new. I would like to put my opinion into this. I myself want this game to be as realistic as possible, ranks included. Though I had a similar discussion before about made up ranks. The person made the argument that they have made up ranks to help keep the people in his game regiment feeling accomplished without having to promote them to high to fast because of all these in between ranks. So this thing should be up to the CO of the company. The game on the other hand should just have the rank insignia that were just there for the people fighting in the battle, for your character creation.
    i completely agree
    https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e4/e6/51/e4e6516dc8572353cf4a5048d0c8b492--civil-war-art-gettysburg-battlefield.jpg