Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Real Guns

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Yes, we do love our firearms and we really don't like people who try and take them away from us
    Hear hear!
    Pvt. L.J. Perreira

Quote Originally Posted by rbsmith7 View Post
    Part of my collection,

The wood looks really good on that.

USA Colonel

Beautiful weaponry. I have an 1860 colt army revolver, I will post a picture of that tomorrow as I am about to go to bed, and I don't have one on my computer. I really love the wood finish on the rifle by the way, that looks gorgeous.

IMG_0385 (2).JPG
    (sorry for it being small)

This is part of my collection, the two pistols that do not look as 'shiny' are from my father who has been collecting weapons for a looooong time, and he gave me them. I've got some older muskets from around 1812 and 1810 that were my family's weapons for hunting, but a friend is restoring them. Otherwise, I would have shown them.
    Last edited by McMuffin; 02-10-2018 at 05:14 PM.

USA Captain

Sharps Rifle.jpg

This is my pride and joy, an original 1863 Sharps Army Rifle. This was a late war issue, very end of 64 or early 65. It was issued to one of the Veteran Regiments under Gen. W Hancock that were formed near the end of the war. Lincoln wanted combat veterans to reenlist and part of the deal was that you would be issued a sharps long rifle AND you got to keep it when you mustered out. Other troops had to pay a discounted rate in order to keep their service weapon. This is why the rifle is in museum quality condition.

Fun Fact: This and almost all Sharps rifles and carbines employ what is called a "Lawrence Pellet Primer System", not to be confused with the bungled "Maynard Tap System." The Lawrence system automatically fed copper mercury of fulminate discs onto the nipple rather than having to manually put a cap on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotchkiss View Post
    Sharps Rifle.jpg

This is my pride and joy, an original 1863 Sharps Army Rifle. This was a late war issue, very end of 64 or early 65. It was issued to one of the Veteran Regiments under Gen. W Hancock that were formed near the end of the war. Lincoln wanted combat veterans to reenlist and part of the deal was that you would be issued a sharps long rifle AND you got to keep it when you mustered out. Other troops had to pay a discounted rate in order to keep their service weapon. This is why the rifle is in museum quality condition.

Fun Fact: This and almost all Sharps rifles and carbines employ what is called a "Lawrence Pellet Primer System", not to be confused with the bungled "Maynard Tap System." The Lawrence system automatically fed copper mercury of fulminate discs onto the nipple rather than having to manually put a cap on.
    Sweet looking rifle, thanks for sharing it.

Great bit of info about it as well!

I own a 1859 Sharps rifle. Its serial suggests it being amongst the first batch of a thousand or so ordered by the US in 1860. It ended up at either Philadelphia or Washington naval yard.

- Trusty

USA Colonel

Attachment 7928
    Attachment 7929

This is my 1860 Colt I was talking about the other day.