Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Simulating Officer loss/Importance

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by SemajRednaxela View Post
    Yes, closer was was preferred. I know at waterloo although a few decades earlier, the highlanders exchanged volleys with the French from under 50 yards for some time and both sides suffered minimal losses due to the smoke etc.
    Id say smoothbore and smoke was the reason the engagements were so close but in the civil war I think it was mostly due to smoke, it's amazing anyone survived the war, no wonder it was the costliest war in us history
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Major

Completely agree with the smoke and it's worrying me after seeing the drill Camp video how lacking the smoke is compared to the burnside video.... I know you wouldn't have the pan flash adding to it by the civil war generally either though I'm not sure about comparative powder measurements either.

Ive personally been in some monster Napoleonic volleys and can certainly say that after the first few shots you can't see fook all apart from the occasional enemy muzzle flash.

Just have to remember where you first shot then keep repeating....
    Last edited by SemajRednaxela; 03-12-2016 at 07:54 PM.

CSA Major

If you watch the officer video the smoke gets pretty heavy and they said the smoke will be thick so no worries
    Plus, one rifle won't produce much smoke but 20 rifles firing will
    Last edited by Legion; 03-12-2016 at 08:02 PM.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Major

I really do hope so. I've always been frustrated by the lack of proper smoke in games that utilise black powder weapons. Especially how it moves and lingers weather depending. The volleys in the woods at the end of the officer video looks nearly there and it looks like artillery making the smoke at the begining. But I can imagine the east / west Woods, cornfield and bloody lane being very smokey claustrophobic affairs with several hundreds of men involved.

It's also one of the most difficult aspects for devs and utilises a lot of graphics to make it look truly realistic.

I know squad recently updated their smoke in game so it wouldn't clip through walls and is really volumetric in confined spaces. I'm sure our devs won't settle for anything but perfection by full release anyway.

USA Lieutenant Colonel

CE3 has some good volumetric effects so i'm anticipating the Smoke effects in this Game quite highly, i'm hoping they can pull it off so not only will it obscure vision if it gets thick enough it'll hang around for a long time.