Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 105

Thread: Simulating Officer loss/Importance

  1. #11

    CSA Captain

    CJ1515g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    40
    I understand what you mean about how an officer going down can be a great turning point. The problem with trying to implement something in game is as follows. The first thing that you suggested about the screen going black is a good idea overall for any person. I very much don't like anyone being able to help their team from the dead, which I see happen in many games. The problem is with the second part of that first suggestion about not be able to speak with their men. This is because of third party software like Teamspeak. There was a discussion I read recently about in game communication, all leading to its gonna be exploited by third party software like teamspeak.

    The rest of what you say in my experience doesn't apply, my experience being North and south mod, and arma. In the regiment I'm in when the CO goes down the next in command steps up, and so on and so on. This is how it was in real life, so it could of been someone good taking over or bad. Yes there was a moral thing to deal with but depending on who took over and their influence could change the moral to good again, or make it worst.

    The whole respawn thing doesn't really concern me meaning. If your playing in a server with respawn it's probably won't be organized like a line battle. If it is it's probably because it being run by and played by a big group who will have rules in place to help this sort of thing. A rule there is with the group i'm with in north and south mod is you can't leave spawn without a certain amount of people or more in your line. So if an Officer dies and respawns he has to wait for more of his men to die and respawn before he can move out. Then it's basically a different line, they don't join up with the orginal.

  2. #12

    CSA Major

    Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baldwin,Louisiana
    Posts
    1,723
    I understand your points, though I think respawns will be for every game mode but I'm not sure. Also morale could help to combat or discourage lone wolfing, If a player goes off on his own then his morale should suffer, he should be more prone to screen blur/ shake because he is not with a group. From what i've read soldiers stated that they would get nervous if they couldn't feel their comrades next to them, so this can be simulated in game.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

    Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

    Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

    Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

    Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

    Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

  3. #13

    CSA Major

    Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baldwin,Louisiana
    Posts
    1,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Challis89 View Post
    Well i was talking about pictures of battles etc probs paintings not live in game stills haha

    A lot of companies were close knit so i agree an officer dieing will shake moral but sgts are pretty well respected so if ones still alive then it can lessen the moral loss or something. so many things can shake moral tho in these battles we would always be shaking.
    I agree, but imagine if all officers and NCO's are killed then the morale loss would be insane, it would make for some intense fights. I also agree with the fact that morale is affected by many things, so I think that anytime you take a mass volley or cannon fire your morale should go down but it start to recover once you stop taking fire or start to inflict dmg on the enemy.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

    Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

    Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

    Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

    Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

    Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

  4. #14

    CSA Brigadier General

    Challis89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I agree, but imagine if all officers and NCO's are killed then the morale loss would be insane, it would make for some intense fights. I also agree with the fact that morale is affected by many things, so I think that anytime you take a mass volley or cannon fire your morale should go down but it start to recover once you stop taking fire or start to inflict dmg on the enemy.
    Yea it would probably make the men break tbh unless you have a strong willed officer from another company step in but the trouble that would cause in game would be huge even in in real life he may have stopped the rout.



    CJ this game will be nothing like north and south it's not compareable, please read the bit about how historical battles will work. The reason for respawns in it is that lines will be trying to take and defend strategic points so that the battle ebbs and flows if you have no respawns the game could be over pretty damn fast leading to the starting phase of the battle everytime rather than playing the whole thing out. To that end i hope that historical battles will be run by official admins so silly rules can't be introduced but that's for another topic.

    or the officer just text chats through steam to an alive player its easy to exploit but games like squad you cant use 3rd party as you need to be able to access the games built in channels to communicate to other squads etc.
    Last edited by Challis89; 02-29-2016 at 09:25 PM.

    sig courtesy of MadWolf 42nd Pen

  5. #15

    USA Major

    Henronicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mosby's Confederacy
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1515g View Post
    I understand what you mean about how an officer going down can be a great turning point. The problem with trying to implement something in game is as follows. The first thing that you suggested about the screen going black is a good idea overall for any person. I very much don't like anyone being able to help their team from the dead, which I see happen in many games. The problem is with the second part of that first suggestion about not be able to speak with their men. This is because of third party software like Teamspeak. There was a discussion I read recently about in game communication, all leading to its gonna be exploited by third party software like teamspeak.
    Just saying, the inability to view the game would kind of take away the point of leading through teamspeak because you'd be leading blind. That was honestly the part I liked best about Legion's idea. It should however apply to everyone rather than officers only in my opinion.
    "I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Major General John Sedgwick: His last words.

  6. #16

    CSA Major

    Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baldwin,Louisiana
    Posts
    1,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Henronicus View Post
    Just saying, the inability to view the game would kind of take away the point of leading through teamspeak because you'd be leading blind. That was honestly the part I liked best about Legion's idea. It should however apply to everyone rather than officers only in my opinion.
    Thats what I meant, everyone should have a black screen when they die or pics like challis suggested.

    In response to Challis, do you mean that we shouldnt take morale loss from fire or were you just talking about how it would affect gameplay?
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

    Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

    Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

    Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

    Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

    Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

  7. #17

    CSA Brigadier General

    Challis89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Thats what I meant, everyone should have a black screen when they die or pics like challis suggested.

    In response to Challis, do you mean that we shouldnt take morale loss from fire or were you just talking about how it would affect gameplay?
    Yea i'd support brief moral loss as successive company commanders died but if your under heavy attack then yea in real life you will lose moral but in terms of gameplay it would have to limited or you wouldn't be able to see for a shaky screen. I guess on the under fire the jurys still out however i'm open minded on it

    sig courtesy of MadWolf 42nd Pen

  8. #18

    CSA Major

    Legion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Baldwin,Louisiana
    Posts
    1,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Challis89 View Post
    Yea i'd support brief moral loss as successive company commanders died but if your under heavy attack then yea in real life you will lose moral but in terms of gameplay it would have to limited or you wouldn't be able to see for a shaky screen. I guess on the under fire the jurys still out however i'm open minded on it
    I just mean that under heavy fire you should lose morale as in real life. If a bullet cracks by your head your gonna shake a little bit, now imagine 100 bullets coming at you. I'm not saying it should last long, only as long as your under fire. Cannons on the other hand should be very intense.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

    Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

    Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

    Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

    Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

    Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

  9. #19

    CSA Captain

    CJ1515g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    40
    Yea making suppression be a bigger thing when alone might help lonewolfing. For me when I'm alone in games I feel a little uneasy and try to find the closest friendlies I can find

    I know this game is gonna be nothing like north and south. This is a new type of game I understand that, but when I try to make an example why something could be bad or good I use north and south because it's the closest concept to this one out of any game I know of. Yes the battles end pretty quickly because there is no respawn, which makes people think different of how they'll do something because there's a bigger consequence on the wrong decision. With a respawn people will act differently. I like having battles with respawn and without. Also you could find any rules silly depending on the type of person you are. A official admin has the same chance of having good and bad rules as someone who runs a group. Luckily we can choose any group we want to.

  10. #20

    USA Brigadier General

    Maximus Decimus Meridius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,541
    Now I am really afraid to lead my Rangers because i don't want to wait so long to respawn! The idea with the moral is great but I want to expand it. It would be to much but it would be great if officers could choose between 2 traits: The hard boy and the respectful leader.

    (Here i have to apologise for my bad english in the following. )

    First trait (hard boy):
    He is alive:
    + He is a really hard solder and nothing scares him. He fight every fight even if it looks impossible. This is a plus point for the moral
    He is dead:
    - Something what can kill him must be really really scary and murderous. RUN BOYS RUN!! WE CAN'T WIN! I think you know what kind of moral point this is

    Second trait (respectful men):
    He is alive:
    - He love his country and would do a lot for it but if he see a fight which can not be win in his eyes he will retreat. Small minus. (I am not pleased with the description but it should be the opposite of the first)
    He is dead:
    + the bloody b*****ds killed our lovely officer who cared about us so well. We want revenge! LETS KILL THIS "&%/!&$&(%/(&!!!!!!!! A plus point for the moral


    Its not a good description but it show what i want to say. It be more realistic because every character have a other influence to his men. Yes the first point of the second trait is not good (the description) but it should be a negative point because every trait should be balanced and should have other influences to the company moral.
    http://www.warofrightsforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=522&dateline=14500460  02


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •