Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forming a battalion.

CSA Brigadier General

Forming a battalion.

Just a quick question to the devs, i did a search that revealed nothing. How will forming a battalion work? Its been asked by a few people i know and I can't really answer it.

Once 2 or more coys merge will it create a mini HQ company or will it just open up a Majors spot in the company of the person elected to run it?

just curious as to how this will work as the game progresses. (i have no plans to form another company at present more for if it keeps growing once the games out)

sig courtesy of MadWolf 42nd Pen

USA Brigadier General

Well as far as I know battalions were not as common in that period for infantry as they were for artillery. From my experience of being in the army the regiment that I was in (3rd Battalion 13th Infantry) each regiment had about 2 or 3 battalions, each battalion having 4 or 5 companies but that is the modern military...

USA Brigadier General

I would like to add another question: do you just rank yourself as officer or do you need to ask someone to do it? or do you play to get ranked up? Because new players can't just be a officer without experience

Once 2 or more coys merge will it create a mini HQ company or will it just open up a Majors spot in the company of the person elected to run it?
    Or will it be like a mini election thingy.
    Last edited by Shadow765; 03-16-2016 at 07:18 PM.

CSA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Johann Günderson View Post
    Well as far as I know battalions were not as common in that period for infantry as they were for artillery. From my experience of being in the army the regiment that I was in (3rd Battalion 13th Infantry) each regiment had about 2 or 3 battalions, each battalion having 4 or 5 companies but that is the modern military...
    Yea I know but they have said for gameplay reasons from what I've picked up battalions will form together to make the regiment. I guess it's to keep in line their ides that it's going to be hard to form the bigger units. A battalion back then had 8 companies anyrhing more was a regiment historicaly

@shadow I guess it's up to the company commander what ranks he gives out. I'm just curious as to what happens when a battalion is formed haha

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    There were partial regiments and organizations that came into both Union and Confederate services called Battalions.

BATTALION and REGIMENT.

Battalions and regiments were formed by organizing companies together. In the volunteers (Union and Confederate), 10 companies would be organized together into a regiment. The regiment was commanded by a colonel. A regiment has the following staff (one of each):

Col.; Lt. Col.; Major; Adjutant (1st Lt); Surgeon (maj.); Asst Surgeon (capt.); Quartermaster (lieut); Commissary (lieut); Sgt-Major; Quartermaster Sgt.

There were also volunteer organizations containing less than 10 companies: if they contained from 4-8 companies, they were called battalions, and usually were commanded by a major or lieutenant colonel.

The (Union) Regular regiments organized before the war (1st-10th) were 10 company regiments like the volunteers. When the NEW Regular regiments. were authorized, a different organization was used. The new Regular regiments were organized 8 companies to a battalion and 2 battalions to the regiment. Thus new Regular regiments contained 16 companies. These regiments frequently fought as battalions rather than as single regiments. However, often the 2nd battalion could not be recruited up to strength, in which case they fought as a single regiment.

CSA Brigadier General

A very good read :-) That all said any idea how it will work withing the game?

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Challis89 View Post
    DITTO to the above!!!

CSA Major

Due to the player limit and the size of the companies, battalions will most likely be made up of 2-3 companies and regiments will ba made up of two battalions.
    If you look in the company tool thread you will see a chain of command type thing, and I think this is how the companies/ battalions will look.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

CSA Brigadier General

Yea I've seen that just wanted that bit more info if you know what I mean will it create an elected HQ company or will one company have the staff for that battalion etc. And I think 2-3 companies will be a very good size.

CSA Major

Yea I've seen that just wanted that bit more info if you know what I mean will it create an elected HQ company or will one company have the staff for that battalion etc. And I think 2-3 companies will be a very good size.
    If the companies merge together to form a bigger clan then I'm sure it will just be player choice.
    But if you just mean in game then maybe would only open those leadership spots when multiple companies are formed in the same regiment and each company could get a vote on who leads or something.
    I don't really know though, it's hard to put into words so I guess we'll just have to test it in-game and see what works best.
    I can see how it would work on organized servers, but on random servers it would be more difficult to get the players to work together.
    Last edited by Legion; 03-17-2016 at 09:24 PM.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion