Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone up for a skirmish at Dunker Church?

CSA Lieutenant General

Anyone up for a skirmish at Dunker Church?

I just showed my face to the Yankees after coming from the spawn point.... who' wit me boys?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Captain

Thanks Dmurray6 love these type of posts (even though I'm a limey)
    4th Texas 'C' Company

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Caldwell View Post
    Thanks Dmurray6 love these type of posts (even though I'm a limey)
    Thanks Charles. My wife was in one of her "get things done" moods yesterday, so I just got the hell out of her way. Ended up with a peaceful drive out to Sharpsburg where I knew I could hit a barn sale that we had visited on Memorial Day. Went back to pick up a white and blue enamelware kettle, and while I was out there, spent a bit at the battlefield. I would have taken more pics of in-game moments, but my damn phone died, sorry. I'll try again some other day. If you have in-game places that you'd like to see a real photo from, feel free to task me. As if I need reasons to end up in Sharpsburg Perhaps a picture from the Union spawn point on the Dunker Church map, looking back in the direction of the burning Mumma farm? Behind the stone wall at Rohrbach's bridge? From the top of the Confederate hill overlooking Rohrbach's bridge? Looking out of the West Woods across the Miller farm? Looking from the North Woods to the Miller Cornfield? How about from the East Woods? You tell me.
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-11-2017 at 03:38 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    Perhaps a picture from the Union spawn point on the Dunker Church map, looking back in the direction of the burning Mumma farm? Behind the stone wall at Rohrbach's bridge? From the top of the Confederate hill overlooking Rohrbach's bridge? Looking out of the West Woods across the Miller farm? Looking from the North Woods to the Miller Cornfield? How about from the East Woods? You tell me.
    All Dmurray6, all of them!
    4th Texas 'C' Company

I remember visiting Dunker Church during my visit of Antietam, it's awe-inspiring for sure, also visited Gettysburg as well. I'm kinda torn on which site to visit next, either Spotsylvania or Manassas

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Visit as many as you can.
    I've been to almost every battlefield in the eastern theater.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by bull_nelson View Post
    I remember visiting Dunker Church during my visit of Antietam, it's awe-inspiring for sure, also visited Gettysburg as well. I'm kinda torn on which site to visit next, either Spotsylvania or Manassas
    Yea, I'm with A.P. on this, visit them all, as many as you can find, as many as you can stumble across! I've visited the large battlefields so many times (Gettysburg, Antietam, Manassas, Petersburg, Fredericksburg, Harpers Ferry, New Market, etc....) that I am starting to care more about the smaller details and less significant locations, especially those that relate more to local regions in which my family lived, here in Maryland and in Western Virginia. The less cared-for battlefields. In one day, my wife and I took a 16 hour trip that took me through Phillipi, Beverly, Huttonsville, Bartow, and Monterey. In that route there are a number of battle and skirmish locations, not to mention just some other cool history (like bridges), as well as mountain forts and breastworks to visit. Phillipi, Laurel Hill, Rich Mountain, Cheat Mountain Summit, Greenbrier River (Bartow), Camp Allegheny are all along that path. Shenandoah Mountain has Fort Johnson (named after Gen. "Allegheny" Johnson) which is now just remnants of the breastworks. Because I've been traveling that region my whole life, I knew where they all were. Besides the battle and skirmish locations, these areas still have locations where the soldiers were known to muster. It's interesting to find that a region is known as something like Hevener's Store, or Conrad's Store, later known as Hightown, VA, and Elkton, VA, respectively. These stores still exist in some places, though the towns no longer carry their names. But the Civil War muster documentation sure does, that history never dies. It fascinates me!

Here's a neat little map I found AFTER my wife and I had taken our trip. I was a bit frustrated to find it afterward, but it was still neat to find.

confederate virginia map
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-15-2017 at 04:42 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA Captain

real visit or in game...........

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by cheeyeah View Post
    real visit or in game...........
    Which reply are you replying to Cheeyeah? My original post was just a pic from the other day when I was standing in the trees behind Dunker Church. Thought I'd share it. I obviously didn't pay an in-game visit to any of the contents of my last post, as none of that content would be in WoR.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post
    Thanks Charles. My wife was in one of her "get things done" moods yesterday, so I just got the hell out of her way. Ended up with a peaceful drive out to Sharpsburg where I knew I could hit a barn sale that we had visited on Memorial Day. Went back to pick up a white and blue enamelware kettle, and while I was out there, spent a bit at the battlefield. I would have taken more pics of in-game moments, but my damn phone died, sorry. I'll try again some other day. If you have in-game places that you'd like to see a real photo from, feel free to task me. As if I need reasons to end up in Sharpsburg Perhaps a picture from the Union spawn point on the Dunker Church map, looking back in the direction of the burning Mumma farm? Behind the stone wall at Rohrbach's bridge? From the top of the Confederate hill overlooking Rohrbach's bridge? Looking out of the West Woods across the Miller farm? Looking from the North Woods to the Miller Cornfield? How about from the East Woods? You tell me.
    Perhaps a panorama shot from the church looking down on the field? left to right flank if possible might be a good shot