Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 79th New York's kilts

The 79th New York's kilts

Will the 79th New York ever be getting their kilts added into the game?
    20210823141713_1 (1).jpg
    20210823141713_1.jpg

"Blessed be the LORD, my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

I assume they were immigrant Scots? I never realised they exisited

Aye.

"The 79th New York Highlanders, a regiment formed in 1859 in New York City, just before the beginning of the American Civil War (1861-1865). It was brought about under the auspices of the Caledonian Society of New York, and with the encouragement of the British Consul of New York, Captain David Cameron. Capt. Cameron had been an officer in the 79th Cameron Highlanders of the British Army; so, when the number “79” was available for a New York regiment, he recommended that they pattern a regiment after the Cameron Highlanders. Formed from Scottish immigrants they wore full highland uniforms consisting of a Doublet coat, glengarries and kilts. Officers of the regiment wore the Tartan of their respective clans and the enlisted Soldiers wore the Cameron of Erracht Tartan.

Before the war, the regiment had four “kilted” companies, amounting to around 260 men, all told. Besides drilling as a militia regiment, the 79th Highlanders provided a contingent of soldiers for visiting dignitaries and special events. They were part of a review for the Prince of Wales, as well as welcoming the Japanese ambassador. They were sometimes known as the Seventy-ninth Militia; the Highlanders; the Cameron Rifle Highlanders; the Highland Guard; and the Bannockburn* Battalion."

As a Scot decent myself I'd love to see their uniforms added.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/79th_N...antry_Regiment
    https://79thhighlandersco.wordpress....iltedsoldiers/

"Blessed be the LORD, my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle."

CSA Major

I don't believe the 79th ever fought in their kilts at Antietam.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Those were Dress Parade issued uniforms only. The 79th wore the standard issue fatigues on campaign.

I found various statements that claimed that some wore them during the early parts of the war and later switched to tartan trousers. I would think Antietam is considered 'early' war. I see a lot of musicians wearing kilts. I'm thinking it's possible that it wasn't the soldiers, but the musicians that wore them in that case. But even if no kilts their trousers should be tartan and they should have their Glengarry Bonnet.

The Irish that filled the rest of the ranks wore the normal blue trousers.

"When the organization had their first drill on October 25, 1858, the men were in civilian clothing as uniforms were not yet available. As per the guide lines set by the New York Militia, the Highland Guard was to uniform their soldiers in tartan trousers, not kilts. The inspector was informed by Col. McLeays that:

"Their stuff for trousers was expected to arrive from Scotland daily, when they would immediately put their uniforms under contract for manufacture". Report of inspection, 4th Brigade, NYSM, 25 October, in annual report of the AG, NYS, (1858) The issued uniform as per the New York State Militia agreement consisted of these items:

Highland Cut Coat: The Highland Cut Coat was dark indigo blue wool broadcloth with applied false red cuffs and a blue collar which were trimmed with red facings with a small white piping line behind the red facing. The coat was trimmed with red wool spun cording on the edges of the coat body and around the circumference of the cuffs midway of the red cuff facing. It had 18 (New York State) buttons in all with 9 2.20 cm (7/8 in) buttons down the front and two on the rear and 3 1.50 cm (5/8 in) buttons on each cuff, 1 1.50 cm (5/8 in) button on the left hip for the belt loop. The jacket was lined in tan polished cotton with quilting in the front panels that extended over and onto the back of the shoulders, following the breast panels. The flaps were lined with red wool or red polished cotton. (Two different materials used on both of the two pre-war jackets still known to exist.)

Tartan Trousers: Cameron of Erracht trousers in the large military sett with a tartan repeat of nine inches. The tartan was matched and had Victorian trousers cut to them consistent with common trousers of the late 1850s.

Glengarry Bonnet: The glengarry was knit and felted as one cover. Dicing and body as one piece. It was dark blue with dicing that were red, blue and white, in two rows high that was off set by one square to the right. The glengarry was lined in black polished cotton and while some of the originals that still exist today have quilting and other lining decorations, three of five have different lining treatments.

Leathers: The belts used were common M1839 "baby" US" belts that were 1.5 inches. Also used were Springfield bayonets and scabbards with the various models of .69 weapons, shield pattern cap pouches, and the M1857 cartridge box.

Parade uniform

When on parade the 79th wore the kilt, going against the wishes of the New York Militia.

This uniform used the same jacket and glengarry but instead of trousers made of tartan, they had New York tailors make non-regulation kilts.

Kilts: The kilts were made of the same Cameron of Erracht. They were not pleated to the line as is common in Scottish military regiments, but to the sett as seen in civilian kilts. The kilts were very odd and unlike kilt before or since thanks to their unqualified manufactures. They were box pleated, and used two tartan straps that buckled into suspender buckles on either hip. Because of their lack in size variation, suspenders were worn with them.

Sporran: The sporran was made of wavy white horse and or goat hair with three black tassels with a black leather cantle.

Hose and flashes: Common Victorian red and white diced hose with common Victorian flashes.

Shoes: Low cut false buckle shoes

tumblr_dd58dff66f2260868d3ae2835d5996d9_756c7c7a_540.jpgtumblr_cf9fb2e39238d0f32911b365b80f3b56_74f07def_540.jpgtumblr_a97747e18bba91aca81a946431acbd96_34f5d860_500.jpgtumblr_2e513233f1b321e98d9c54ddfe7fbd90_5cd98bc4_540.jpg

Interestingly the 79th Even had a hidden woman among them. Lizzie Compton.

CSA Major

This is all pre-Antietam.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKnightSolo View Post
    I would think Antietam is considered 'early' war.
    Not by anyone.