Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antietam Battlefield National Park

Quote Originally Posted by Locke1740 View Post
    not really a "southern thing" from what ive heard, i think that its just some of the population that say Gettysburg like Gettisburg. I mean, ive never heard anyone except a couple people from Gettysburg say it like that.
    On youtube look up GettysburgNPS. Some of the park rangers call it Gettisburg.
    GG America, you had a good run. Cant wait to be slaves of the New Soviet Empire.

CSA Colonel

I know, im just saying ive never heard anyone from around here say Gettisburg, but i get your point, you thought it was funny, well everyone does because 75% say it Gettysburg
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

CSA Major

They recently cut down a lot of trees around Little Round Top and Devil's Den to make it look like it was during the battle. They also tore down the old visitors center and they're in the process of tearing down the hotel around Lee's headquarters.

The founder of Gettysburg was James Gettys, whose name was pronounced Gett-us. That's why people say Gett-us-burg.

USA General of the Army

In Maryland State Near to both Antietam and Gettysburg, Harper's Ferry et al.
    Now my Antietam thread is completely derailed and hijacked.

Gettysburg is nothing like the battlefields down south of the Mason - Dixon line. The whole atmosphere is different.

CSA Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by A. P. Hill View Post
    Now my Antietam thread is completely derailed and hijacked.

Gettysburg is nothing like the battlefields down south of the Mason - Dixon line. The whole atmosphere is different.
    I know, I felt like asking how we went from Antietam to Gettysburg last night but I was to tired
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

CSA Major

Antietam is a great site too, haven't been there in a while though. Planning a road trip for the summer to include Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry and Antietam. It's well preserved as well not like the fields leading up to Marye's Heights at Fredricksburg.
    Last edited by Duffy; 03-31-2016 at 11:54 PM.

CSA Major

I know a man with the last name "Gettys" and it's also pronounced "Gettus".

I'd like to go back to Sharpsburg again so I can see the battlefield. Also go to Chancellorsville, Wilderness, Spotsy, and five forks. I miss certain aspects of living in VA...
    Second Lieutenant Douglas L. Landree
    Platoon Commander
    30th VA Vol. Inf. Regt. Co. A "Washington Guards"

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Antietam is a great site too, haven't been there in a while though. Planning a road trip for the summer to include Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry and Antietam. It's well preserved as well not like the fields leading up to Marye's Heights at Fredricksburg.

Fredericksburg has that development because it followed a preservation plan called, of all things, the Antietam Plan. The early establishment of military parks and national parks under the auspices of the War Department, before being transferred to the NPS, is quite interesting.
    n.

USA Major

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Since you'll be in the area, consider Monocacy Battlefield and the National Museum of Civil War Medicine. Both are in Frederick Md and they're very nice visits.