Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have you decided to support War of Rights?

USA Captain

Why have you decided to support War of Rights?

I have decided to make this thread as I am interested to why people have decided to support War of Rights or what made them interested in the Civil war in the first place. If there has been a thread similar to this or is in the wrong section, I apologize and please do close this if needed.

Me personally, I have been interested in line battles for about two years now (not long I know), but I really did enjoy watching re-enactments and I have been interested in the time period as well as how people were trained, drilled, etc. The invention of new ways to fight on the battlefields such as the first use of grenades by grenadiers in the mid 17th century and the use of dragoons, light infantry, etc. also helped push my interest. When I first discovered this game, I was kind of interested due to the reasons stated above since the Civil war saw use of many Napoleonic tactics thanks to figures such as Mahan. Many of the General officers on both sides of the war had received their military training at West Point. At West Point all cadets studied tactics under Mahan, the professor of engineering and the art of war from 1830-1871. Having studied the art of war in France Mahan was greatly influenced by Napoleon and would pass his fascination with Napoleonic Warfare on to his cadets. I have been following this game for about a year now and only decided yesterday to buy it as I kept forgetting, also, when I decided to watch Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" (Even though there was not much fighting it in), It still gave me that push for me to start looking more into the Civil war as well as pledge to this game.

What are your reasons, please do post below

CSA Captain

I myself have always been fascinated with different tactics and strategies employed in certain situations in war. They always compare war to a chess game, I'm not big into chess but always get a great satisfaction when I have outwitted my enemy on the battlefield in games. When I lose a battle I always find myself constantly thinking back on it as to what I could of done differently and what was the winning strategy for my opponent. These types of games have always been modern war games.

Actually up till February of 2015 I was never interested in the civil war or even the Napoleonic war. I only got interested in both because I saw the movie "Field of Lost Shoes". Which if those reading don't know what that movie is, it's about the story of the VMI (Virginia Military Institute) cadets who were Bought into the service of the Confederate army when they needed men for the battle of New Market because they weren't sure if other regiments they sent for would arrive in time for the battle. After seeing that movie I got interested in the civil war and the tactics employed of course. So quickly after starting my research I found that they still used the Napoleonic tactics for the most part. My curiosity of the Napoleonic wars also made more ferocious when I stumbled upon the British tv series "Sharpe".

So with all this going on and my love for gaming I quickly joined a North and South regiment. Which is were I learned about War of Rights. I didn't support it at first but when I looked into it more and more the thing that stuck out to me the most was how big the maps were going to be. So I quickly thought back to the game of Arma which made for me many fun moments because in my mind it was the big map and thus all the different opportunities for different missions using sections of the huge map, and made for a realistic experience when I would be part of a group that would have to convoy in or march into the mission zone. So I ended up donating to the game for more immersive hope, and outwitting my opponent hopes.

CSA Colonel

About five years ago, I started Living the civil war after my grandfather took me to Gettysburg. So for about five years I've loved learning and studying the Civil War. And not long ago I joined up with a NaS Regiment and not long ago found out about this.
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

USA Lieutenant General

Because I like guns, I'm military, am building Pennsylvania long rifle and buying Pedersoli 1816.

I also like videogames, and one of my friends was hype so we all got hyped.

-Shoot shit.
    -Kill shit.
    -Be pwnd like we are shit.
    -Talk shit.
    -Potatoe

END OF LINE...

CSA Major

Because Cube210 and Greydog made me.

No really, they held me hostage until I gave up a couple of quid to support the game.

But also because it looked like a bit of fun and I'm kinda interested in US history.

USA Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger_ View Post
    Because Cube210 and Greydog made me.

No really, they held me hostage until I gave up a couple of quid to support the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cube210 View Post
    I also like videogames, and one of my friends was hype so we all got hyped.

Yeeeee.

Interest in History. I saw this game and I immediately ejaculated.

"The First Minnesota Regiment fired with so much coolness and accuracy that they brought down [three times one] of the enemy's flags, and finally cut the flag-staff in two."

-Report of Brig. Gen. Willis A. Gorman, U.S. Army,
    Commanding First Brigade, of the Battle of' Antietam
    SEPTEMBER 3-20, 1862.-The Maryland Campaign.

USA Captain

I love community driven games; or at least games in which communities have the room to thrive. I think WoR satisfies both of those.

I play Mount and Blade and Arma, both games with lots of clans and community driven events, but WoR is the first game in which I've seen such a high level of support for the community gameplay from the developers.
    The company tool is a great example of that.

All in all, this game has a huge amount of potential

President Hinkel convinced me to do so.

CSA Major

Always have enjoyed historical shooters, as well as military history in general. I live in Greensboro, NC, right in the middle of a battlefield fought over for the Guilford Courthouse during the Revolutionary War. Always been interested in that era.

Never sought to much into the civil war, but after discovering the game, I am learning as much as I can. Even planning a trip to Antietam with wife and kids very soon. 6 hour drive. Have watched some good videos on youtube on the Civil War as well. Really getting into the history.

It is also going to be cool, to be able to have a game, that was fought right around where I live. Most historical games I am into, or have enjoyed in previous years, are in Europe. (Verdun, Brothers in Arms 1 and 2, Rise of Flight, WW2 online way back in the day, etc....)

Looking forward to joining some people to play the game as it is designed. Looking forward to the community.

USA Captain

I share a love for history, specifically the times when formations were always used during battle.

Which is why I display an amazing love for games such as ''Total War'' and the ''Mount & Blade'' series.

I thought that if I pledged I'd get a bunch of brilliant tests to take part in, and I am hoping to not be disappointed, but judging by the recent videos giving a very insightful tour of what we're going to be part of.