Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Role of cavalry

Role of cavalry

I am not sure if this has been posted previously and I apologize if it has but I am curious as to the impact and role that cavalry will have on the field. I do not know much about the use of cavalry in the civil war itself though I know they were present and somewhat ineffective against more modern armies though were not discarded outright.
    Personally I would love to see massed charges against line infantry and the like as well as carbine and revolver cav though this is all mostly conjecture on my part....

Any thoughts?

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Cyratis View Post
    I am not sure if this has been posted previously and I apologize if it has but I am curious as to the impact and role that cavalry will have on the field. I do not know much about the use of cavalry in the civil war itself though I know they were present and somewhat ineffective against more modern armies though were not discarded outright.
    Personally I would love to see massed charges against line infantry and the like as well as carbine and revolver cav though this is all mostly conjecture on my part....

Any thoughts?
    The only way your going to get away with a cavalry charge on an enemy position is if you surprise them. Otherwise your going to get something that looks like that scene in the Last Samurai. In other words the old style Napoleonic massed cavalry charges directly into an enemy lines front are dead. Due to the increase in weapons technology the entire cav unit would be shot to death before they even reached the enemy line.

That dosen't mean cav was useless in the war though they just were used in a different way. In battle they would generally fight enemy cav or dismount and act as skirmishers. Flanking around the enemy line and destroying arty was also an option.
    Last edited by crazychester1247; 04-22-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

USA Lieutenant General

Fuck your ponies. Don't bring a .36 caliber pea shooting wheel gun to a real fight!
    Why did god make the sky blue? Because god loves the infantry.

INFANTRY LEAD THE WAY!
    Last edited by Cube210; 04-22-2016 at 10:22 PM.

CSA Major

God, please just no Cav spam. It's bloody horrible.

Plus Infantry lead the way! We kill shit while your clopping to your Miss Pinky-Pie-Nob-Shine!
    I hope she's pretty to you, because I'm making the grass grow!
    Last edited by Ginger_; 04-22-2016 at 10:50 PM.

CSA Lieutenant Colonel

Cavalry was mostly used as a frontal scouting force that moved miles ahead of the main army. During battles they could be used as quick reaction mobile-infantry where they could be dispatched to an area, dismount and act as infantry often using carbines and pistols.
    "The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on Earth." - Lieutenant General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

"It is well that war is so terrible. Otherwise we should grow too fond of it." - General Robert E. Lee

"I would rather die a thousand deaths than betray a friend." - Confederate Scout, Sam Davis

Brigadier General James J. Archer
    Archer's Brigade
    A.P. Hill's Light Division
    Army of Northern Virginia

Best cavalry scene of Gettysburg
    Without the union cavalry, the battle of Gettysburg might look different today.

Buford had about 2.000 cavalry men, defending 2 hours vs. 15.000 Infantrymen
    Its a bit different in the Gettysburg movie, Buford removed all sabres from his cavalry troopers. They just had carbines and repeaters, no sabres at all

Last edited by Hinkel; 04-22-2016 at 11:29 PM.

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Cube210 View Post
    Fuck your ponies. Don't bring a .36 caliber pea shooting wheel gun to a real fight!
    Why did god make the sky blue? Because god loves the infantry.

INFANTRY LEAD THE WAY!
    It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.

Man you walked right into that one. Just like you walk right into canister.

I have to admit it is really fun to gallop around while you guys wail like babies and get torn apart like a rooster caught in a tractors balls.
    Last edited by crazychester1247; 04-23-2016 at 12:03 AM.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

CSA Colonel

It's funny how y'all argue! I had ancestors in the cavalry and infantry so I could play either!
    "If we were wrong in our contest, then the Declaration of Independence of 1776 was a grave mistake and the revolution to which it led was a crime. If Washington was a patriot; Lee cannot have been a rebel."

"I want you to try to teach to your children and to your children's children that ours was not a lost cause. I want you to tell them that we were fighting for the right ..."

Wade Hampton III

USA Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Locke1740 View Post
    It's funny how y'all argue! I had ancestors in the cavalry and infantry so I could play either!
    Shhh. Don't tell anybody but I made a dragoon unit so I could play as infantry and cavalry, because I couldn't make up my mind about which one I wanted to play as. Plus I get the best parts of both worlds, cavalry's speed and infantry's durability.
    Last edited by crazychester1247; 04-23-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Pvt. William J. Sadowski

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Rithal View Post
    Cavalry was mostly used as a frontal scouting force that moved miles ahead of the main army. During battles they could be used as quick reaction mobile-infantry where they could be dispatched to an area, dismount and act as infantry often using carbines and pistols.
    So, is that a no on Cavalry in WOR?