Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Equipment Failures

I think we shouldn't make this too complicated. I also think that small arms should not blow up in peoples faces and either killing them or injuring them. Therefore equipment failures should just resort to misfires (and other non deadly things if they exist).

The probability of a misfire should be based on 3 things.

1. Amount of times fired, with the probability increasing as the firing increases(could also affect accuracy).
    2. The weather (I believe rain is still a problem in this era)
    3. Age/condition the equipment was originally in - so if there was a unit armed with badly made guns, the probability should increase.

This will mean as a soldier stays alive longer, the higher chance he is going to have misfires. This shouldn't be much of a problem for line infantry since they will die relatively quickly. However Skirmishers (and possibly cavalry) will be largely affected and will add a new problem for them to face when in prolonged combat.

Artillery is a different manner and is the most likely unit to be maintained. IF a cannon isnt properly maintained I believe it should have the chance to blow up.

CSA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Theodor Schmidt View Post
    I think we shouldn't make this too complicated. I also think that small arms should not blow up in peoples faces and either killing them or injuring them. Therefore equipment failures should just resort to misfires (and other non deadly things if they exist).

The probability of a misfire should be based on 3 things.

1. Amount of times fired, with the probability increasing as the firing increases(could also affect accuracy).
    2. The weather (I believe rain is still a problem in this era)
    3. Age/condition the equipment was originally in - so if there was a unit armed with badly made guns, the probability should increase.

This will mean as a soldier stays alive longer, the higher chance he is going to have misfires. This shouldn't be much of a problem for line infantry since they will die relatively quickly. However Skirmishers (and possibly cavalry) will be largely affected and will add a new problem for them to face when in prolonged combat.

Artillery is a different manner and is the most likely unit to be maintained. IF a cannon isnt properly maintained I believe it should have the chance to blow up.
    I think 1 and 2 makes sense but I'm not sure if three would work aside from not being fair to other regiments if that makes sense and what do you mean by maintained a cannon like just with loading and firing or what? Also I think it would be cool if you could repair your weapons like maybe a company would have to keep the weapons in good shape either an in game money system (which might be kinda hard) or just some other way like taking time for it to be worked on and cleaned or someting of the sort.
    Captain Benjamin J. West of the 21st Mississippi Infantry, 1st Battalion,
    Co. D Jeff Davis Guards

USA Lieutenant General

Just so long as we keep reenactor's opinions out of it.
    Y'all ain't soldiers.
    Y'all have never been treated or trained as soldiers.
    And ya sure as hell never maintain your weapons like soldiers. I've seen reenactor guns lookin like all kinds of butt then spouting off that "muskets ain't reliable you only got a 50/50 chance" B.S.

Flintlocks work in the rain. It's up to the soldier to do his part. Beeswax is your friend.

CSA Sergeant

Completely Accurate Representation:

Thanks for the interesting video. Makes me of course wonder to see as well how you fix your rifle after such a misfire.

As for the brainstorming about adding small troubles in gameplay, having occasional misfires in the field could add some interesting situations when the player is forced to go through a fixing and reloading procedure and when forced to improvise to switch weapons, from another player, a fallen soldier or a melee weapon (presuming the game would offer such an option at all).

The key idea i again like by most of the ideas to use it in moderation to not hamper game play too much. The balancing on HOW often that can happen would be up to the devs and can be later stil tweaked up or down. But I think that's a feature which should at least a possible result somewhere in the game to add a 'sense of realism' without getting over board.

Misfires could range from 'nothing happens' to 'flash in pans without discharge', creating problems from time loss to fix the issue to temporarily blinding the soldier with some optical effects for a short time period, ranging from blurred view to more sway in the aim until those effects wear off after some time depending on the unfortunate event. This last paragraph was just inspired by the cough at the end of the video.

USA Lieutenant Colonel

I think that expression applies to flintlocks (where there's a pan full of Gunpowder) and not Rifles using Percussion Caps (which will be in-Game) unless there are Flintlocks in the Game i'm unaware of.

I think Misfires should only happen under dire circumstances (like you'd basically have to be trying to break your Gun to get it to happen) as some kind of deterrent that'd make people want to maintain their Weapons before they got to this stage.

It's been talked about in other threads aswell, but i'd personally love to see Key Reloads that let the Player load more than one charge at a time which would not only lead to a really innaccurate shot but speed up the fouling process quite a lot.

I wish we could hear more from the devs about ideas how to add some spice to the gameplay. But I do like the creative ideas in the thread.

Thanks for pointing out the use of percussion caps in the game as I was not aware of that detail. I am no expert of history details from that time, but I presume that percussion rifles were maybe just used by soldiers that time, or were they more common?

The only source of a flintlock weapon in the game could be maybe an old hunting rifle from some civilian source? (presuming civilians and/or gear from them do play one day a possible role in the game after release).

There is also a possibility to sum up some options in a group e.g. being called 'safety options' which can be toggled off for smoother, less complex gameplay or on for those who like a little extra 'spice' of danger/realism when weapons are treated much rougher and players are more reckless, forgetting that gyunpowder weapons are not as safe like modern weapons in comparison.
    Imagine some camp or smoking pipes lit up and possible sparks can fly with the wind to storage places of powder kegs for the artillery or 'just' create a fire of dried brushes in the boot camp or even at the battle field camp.

Again, for not delaying the game release such options can be still added later after release and there is one test server available were players can volunteer and be guinea pigs and help the dev team with tweaking such oprions to add to the gameplay without turning it into a frustration fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cube210 View Post
    Just so long as we keep reenactor's opinions out of it.
    Y'all ain't soldiers.
    Y'all have never been treated or trained as soldiers.
    And ya sure as hell never maintain your weapons like soldiers. I've seen reenactor guns lookin like all kinds of butt then spouting off that "muskets ain't reliable you only got a 50/50 chance" B.S.

Flintlocks work in the rain. It's up to the soldier to do his part. Beeswax is your friend.
    I (as a reenactor) completely agree. Some guys out there think that they ARE soldiers and call themselves as such. But in truth we are just a bunch of people who have an unhealthy love for the ACW. Personally I`ve only ever had 1 problem with my Enfield and that was when I had just bought it used and the guy didn't clean it. 1/5 misfire my ass. No reenactor should consider themselves a soldier unless they have actually BEEN a soldier (which some have).

USA Sergeant

Well, then there are the reenactors who are or have been soldiers... Sure not this war, but stil give them a perspective that civilans don't have.

About misfires.
    The 1/5 is a statistic usually given in regard to flintlocks... not percussion muskets.
    And I can see why that might not be wrong for a battalion who have been in the field for month and might not have the needed part or time for maintaining their firearms properly.
    And on how things can go wrong during combat... fine motor skills do not improve when under stress...

But I agree that most misfires today are caused by lack of proper maintenance And /or because of issues that can be explained by our way of loading.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard