Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Failures

CSA Major

Equipment Failures

During the war, a number of shoddy suppliers sold their goods. Sometimes there was just an issue with design. I thought it might be interesting to replicate this with randomly bursting breeches and muzzles in an appropriate percentage.

USA Captain

They did say that misfires will be a thing and the more you use a weapon, the more misfires you will have due to it becoming more worn. However I'm pretty sure that the randomly bursting muzzles and breeches would hurt gameplay more than it being more realistic and would annoy a lot of people. Just my personal opinion though.

USA Sergeant

As fare as I know it was primarily a problem with clothing and shoes.
    Small arms was mainly produced by known manufactures and to a very large extent imported from Europe... and as long as we are talking muskets based on well known and tired designs.

Unless we got historical records of problems with specific batches of small arms used by specific regiments during the campaign I really don't think it would be historical.

And I agree with Trumbull that It would properly not add anything to the gameplay.
    Thomas Bernstorff Aagaard

CSA Brigadier General

Aw gee it a break Tommy. So what if it's not 100% accurate if that weapon misfired or broke. I've read about Richmond sharps during the battle having the breach explode due to shoddy work. And before you go on a preaching rant of disrespect as usual, I can't remember the source.

I'd like to see something like this implemented as it adds a bit of risk to the game and was a worry. I know misfires will be in the game.shame it won't be staged reloading so that a raw Private dosent prime his gun to fire and keeps reloading leading to it exploding when he does remember.

sig courtesy of MadWolf 42nd Pen

USA Lieutenant Colonel

I'm also curious about how this'll work (like whether it'll just be Aesthetic or it'll have an effect like slowing the reload Animation). Features like this are hard to get right, too much and they become annoying, too little and they just become redundant.

CSA Major

I really had artillery more in mind, but there is certainly the problem of unprimed rifles as well.

One possible way to integrate equipment failure and possible accidents is with the boot camp feature.

People who train more often get a small 'bonus pool' which can help them later in battle to have less likely an accident and when it comes to bad equipment recognize earlier a warning that they spot maybe something wrong with their gear and can see to find a way to replace/swap the gear from a fallen soldier or when they return in the camp. A;; those small bonuses and penalties would be handled by the computer in the background and saved in the profile.

The idea of the system is to spice up a bit the gameplay with a certain aspect of uncertainty where the player has to some degree influence over indirectly through his actions but no clear control. You just know that training can help you later to some degree but can't prepare you for everything. To add a small veteran aspect the 'pool bonus' could also add some bonus and penalties through practical experience as well.
    Important would be that this system doesn't gain TOO much influence over the direct actions of the player and stays in the backgrounds, just adding some aspect to the game to keep the player focused to prevent people from getting too careless or too jumpy.

Question now is....how could such bonus and penalties show in the game?
    Again, I think the trick is in balancing it right. Just some possible ideas:
    - If a player got bad equipment he might show a fine hair crack on his rifle before it comes to a dangerous accident and replace it (hopefully) in time.
    - An accident by loading or firing a rifle properly might mess with the players aim, from a tiny sway to a slight blur.
    - Even most hits are probably most devastating, if someone might face a flesh wound, he could be maybe bandaged and move on even he might not fight much or probably not at all until he makes it back to a base.
    - A bandaged player might not be able to move with the others and might be left behind. He might face civilians or soldiers from the other side.

Such a system would of course just work when the game in-complements the possibility of tiny to small effects for the player in gameplay. So not just a 'alive and well' and a 'completely dead and respawn' scenario.
    A soldier might veen loose one or more finger tips which messes up his performance quite a bit. If he survives and makes it back to camp a player could decide if he wants to retire the soldier and respawns a new one or if he tries to create a battle-hardened veteran which can wear and show his scars in the boot camp.
    He might be even able to compensate his disabilities through some extra training in boot camp by getting used to it and lower the handicap(s) he accumulated.

Please keep in mind that this is an idea how to add a bit more to the experience without mocking the serious idea behind the project. I would like to hear from the devs if the ideas sound reasonable and can be implemented or if they are too complex. It would depend a lot on what their plans are for the damage system in general and what else the experience should offer except just exchanging fire, wave hats and replace soldiers like fresh nails out of a box.
    The basic idea is to add the possibility of developing your alter ego a bit over time, provided he survives long enough.
    Even such an idea might be too complex for the release date, it can be maybe still added later if the sales are going well enough and there is more time and budget available.
    Many find this probably too much, at the end its more a question what the aim is for to make this a more 'realistic' experience or just create a cheap shooter which there are plenty enough around.

CSA Sergeant

Having a persistent character until death would be really cool. You could see the injuries and scars that result from being a veteran. I do not, however, agree with the bonuses from training idea. I feel like the game should be based around skill, if you spend a lot of time training then you will have more skill, and thus be able to fight better. Giving a bonus to certain people just because they've spent more time in the boot camp would be very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Minié Ball View Post
    I do not, however, agree with the bonuses from training idea. I feel like the game should be based around skill, if you spend a lot of time training then you will have more skill, and thus be able to fight better. Giving a bonus to certain people just because they've spent more time in the boot camp would be very annoying.
    Hmmm...good point. I guess my idea showed my preference for solo games where you don't have to worry about abuse and cheating until you decide to exploit something int he game and shooting in your own foot.

More importantly, the main problem is like in ALL multiplayer games, mass abuse from players.
    Instead of a 'pool system' from training, injured characters could get assigned mods on their gaming performance which stay with them until they decide to retire their soldier and respawn. But who would like to be called a chicken from his buddies?

I am just trying to think of additional things to do in and with the boot camp besides just turning it into a parade place to hang around like in a chat room, parade and put some shots down the range as that could get old quickly. Is there any threat about ideas for the boot camp and ideas what can be all done there?
    Besides the basic idea of re-creating a accurate campaign in a FPS perspective, I didn't heard too much so far about additional ideas/features the project plans to offer wihout turning it 'just' into another more or less generic shooter with high ambitions but falling a bit short by focusing just on an exchange on bullets even of course that is the main element of the project.

Personally I supported the project as I am very curious about using the game as an interactive history lesson which hopefully covers more then just shooting. That would be a waste opportunity like making a bbq without any sauce and spices.

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhug67 View Post
    One possible way to integrate equipment failure and possible accidents is with the boot camp feature.

People who train more often get a small 'bonus pool' which can help them later in battle to have less likely an accident and when it comes to bad equipment recognize earlier a warning that they spot maybe something wrong with their gear and can see to find a way to replace/swap the gear from a fallen soldier or when they return in the camp. A;; those small bonuses and penalties would be handled by the computer in the background and saved in the profile.

The idea of the system is to spice up a bit the gameplay with a certain aspect of uncertainty where the player has to some degree influence over indirectly through his actions but no clear control. You just know that training can help you later to some degree but can't prepare you for everything. To add a small veteran aspect the 'pool bonus' could also add some bonus and penalties through practical experience as well.
    Important would be that this system doesn't gain TOO much influence over the direct actions of the player and stays in the backgrounds, just adding some aspect to the game to keep the player focused to prevent people from getting too careless or too jumpy.
    That is actually quite an interesting idea, like maybe not to the extent you suggest but if they made it so Weapons could be Cleaned in the training camp phase.

I think Weapons failing and blowing up is a bit too far TBH, but if say you'd been involved in a prolonged Battle and your Weapon was in a heavily used and dirty state it might underperform a bit (like accuracy slightly impaired and shooting slightly to the left or right along with a slowed rate of fire).

They kind of have this in Heroes and Generals (like Weapons degrading) and being repaired with points.

To balance this they could make it so the Player had a pool of Weapons to choose from (like in RO2 you have the standard Rifle at grade 1, then grade 2 then grade 3). Have a similar system here (like 3 of the same Rifle that look different, tier 1 being a well used beaten up Gun, Tier 2 being a good condition but used gun, tier 3 being a handpicked brand new gun) Tier 1 needing to be cleaned more often, tier 2 less so and tier 3 even less.

So if you only had the level 1 Gun available it'd need to be cleaned more often, if you had a level 1 and 2 Gun, if you'd used the level 2 Gun for a prolonged period you could switch to the level 1 Gun for a bit (then clean both) and with all 3 you could switch between all of them until they were all dirtied up.
    Last edited by R21; 05-10-2016 at 01:25 AM.