Page 185 of 189 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 1889

Thread: War of Rights - Patch Notes

Update 168 - Battle Flags - Released!

42nd Pennsylvania national & 1st Georgia regimental

Hello everyone,

Today, we’re pleased to be releasing our biggest update to the infantry battle flags of the game yet as part of alpha update 168. We’ll also be giving you a fresh progress report about the much anticipated “Platform System” - a core system for War of Rights going forward.

First thing’s first, however. Let’s talk about the massive flag addition featured in update 168. It’s my pleasure to pass the word on to our newest team member at Campfire Games, Bradley.

Battle Flags

My name is Bradley and I am the Historical Texture Artist for Campfire Games, as well as a Graduate Student concentrating in the American Civil War with special interests in Confederate Chaplains, the Siege of Vicksburg, small arms and artillery, and vexillology in the Civil War (the study of flags).

19th indiana regimental & 18th Mississippi national

One of the most important material objects of the Civil War is without question the battle flag. The battle flag was more than just a signal to communicate a regiment’s identification to other units on the chaotic and smoke-filled battlefield, although the “colors” were vitally necessary in serving this practical purpose—the battle flag was also an important symbol to the men that fought under it. For many enlisted men, their regimental standard was a piece of their past and a reminder of home. Not infrequently, ladies back home had sewn the regimental colors and sometimes even constructed the standard from their own wedding dresses, as silk was a precious wartime commodity. The soldiers themselves carefully stitched or painted Battle Honors such as “SEVEN PINES” and “WILLIAMSBURG” onto their banners. These were more than names where gallant fighting happened, these were the final resting places of brothers-in-arms, many dear friends and family members killed hundreds of miles from home.

69th New York regimental & 5th Texas national

My great-great-grandfather, his brother, and their brother-in-law fought at Sharpsburg with the 8th Florida Infantry, some eight hundred miles from their homes in Nassau County, Florida. At Bloody Lane, their under-strength and relatively untested brigade suffered fifty percent casualties. A Chaplain in the Florida Brigade witnessed, "Five times our colors fell." The flag staff was shot in two and the final bearer was killed as the Confederate center abandoned the sunken road. In October 1862, Abraham Lincoln and George B. McClellan posed for photographer Alexander Gardner in the general's tent at Antietam. At the bottom left hand corner of this famous image is a crumpled Confederate battle flag that some have identified as the battle flag of the 8th Florida Infantry. So it was, this particular rebel flag continued to serve an important symbolic purpose even in Union possession.

Lincoln & McClellan next to what is probably the captured battle flag of the 8th Florida

With this update, most of the flags in-game have been rescaled to historically accurate proportions, and we are proud to introduce over fifty new battle flags based on months of meticulous research. War of Rights players, whether on the battlefield or in drill camp, will encounter flags nearly identical to surviving artifacts, down to the tilt of stars and placing of text. Where no artifacts survived for us to follow, we strove for authenticity. We expect future findings may require some flags to be revisited.

32nd Pennsylvania national & 1st Texas regimental

Update 168 Patch Notes

- Added or updated the following battle flags:

CSA

• CSA 2nd Bunting
    • CSA 7 star national
    • 3rd Arkansas regimental
    • 3rd Alabama regimental
    • 6th Alabama regimental
    • 8th Alabama national
    • 8th Florida regimental
    • 1st Georgia regimental
    • 1st Georgia national
    • 18th Georgia regimental
    • 1st Louisiana regimental
    • 6th Louisiana regimental
    • 9th Louisiana regimental
    • 18th Mississippi national
    • 4th North Carolina regimental
    • 14th North Carolina regimental
    • 27th North Carolina regimental
    • Hamptons Legion South Carolina national
    • Palmetto Sharpshooters South Carolina regimental
    • 1st Texas national
    • 1st Texas regimental
    • 4th Texas regimental
    • 5th Texas national
    • 13th Virginia regimental
    • 30th Virginia regimental
    • 33rd Virginia national

USA

• USA 32 star national
    • 14th Indiana national
    • 19th Indiana regimental
    • 19th Indiana national
    • 15th Massachusetts national
    • 28th Massachusetts national
    • 1st Maryland national
    • 7th Michigan national
    • 17th Michigan national
    • 1st Minnesota national
    • 1st Minnesota regimental
    • 9th New York national
    • 9th New York regimental
    • 20th New York national
    • 69th New York national
    • 69th New York regimental
    • 8th Ohio national
    • 87th Ohio regimental
    • 28th Pennsylvania national
    • 32nd Pennsylvania national
    • 42nd Pennsylvania national
    • 114th Pennsylvania national
    • 2nd US Regulars national
    • 10th US Regulars national
    • 1st US Sharpshooters national
    • 1st US Sharpshooters regimental
    • 2nd US Sharpshooters national
    • 2nd US Sharpshooters regimental
    • 2nd Wisconsin national

- Added 4x4, 6x6.5 and 8x6 feet flag models in order to support the historically correct sizes of battle flags.
    - Overhauled the corpse manager: corpses are now divided into sectors of the skirmish area. A sector is able to spawn in as many corpses as the corpse count in the game options allow for. By moving the corpse count setting from being global to being sector based you will now be able to see many more corpses spread out across the entirety of the skirmish area with no change in performance.
    - Added a ringing noise following discharging to all bronze cannons in the game.
    - Fixed the sponge clipping through the barrel of the cannon when sponged while the barrel is elevated.
    - Made all artillery pieces and limbercarts produce sounds when hit by small arms fire.
    - Improved the enter bayonet melee mode from shoulder arms animation.
    - Fixed a bug where most weapons in first person when aiming were not aligned properly to the direction they would shoot.
    - Detail work, North Woods, Antietam.
    - Pry Grist Mill skirmish area vegetation work, Antietam.
    - Bolivar Heights detail work, Harpers Ferry.
    - Drill Camp level detail work.

Platform System Progress Report

Given it’s been a while since the last time we spoke of the upcoming platform system (which can be read
    here) we thought it might be a good idea to give you all a fresh progress report. We’re happy to announce that internal testing has begun and we’re making steady progress towards being able to bring it to a public test branch available to every War of Rights owner very soon indeed.

The goal of the public test branch is to stress test the platform system as much as possible - this means to fully populate the test server and leaving and joining it multiple times, possibly even causing it to crash or mass boot everyone on it. At the core of the platform system is clearer information available to us developers when things do go wrong which is going to massively help us increase alpha stability (client and server alike) going forward so we’re extremely excited to be seeing what sort of new information we can get our hands on during the initial stress test. We hope many of you will join in on the testing when we soon announce the details of the public test branch launch.

That’s all for now. Until next time, have a good one!

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    OOOO I see the 51st PA charging the bridge! It must be a sign they'll finally be added to the Burnside Bridge map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler28256 View Post
    OOOO I see the 51st PA charging the bridge! It must be a sign they'll finally be added to the Burnside Bridge map!
    Its definitely the 51st NY I would say

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    It's definitely the 51st NY I would say
    Certainly looks like PA to me....

Ferrero brigade an excellent brigade!

"Around 1:00 pm, the 51st Pennsylvania and 51st New York finally charged across the bridge."
    https://www.battlefields.org/learn/m...-1862-12pm-1pm

Quote Originally Posted by SwingKid148 View Post
    "Around 1:00 pm, the 51st Pennsylvania and 51st New York finally charged across the bridge."
    Judging by the shadows in the painting, I'm thinking it might be later in the day. Maybe 2nd Maryland?

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
    Judging by the shadows in the painting, I'm thinking it might be later in the day. Maybe 2nd Maryland?

Smoke is dark

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    Its definitely the 51st NY I would say
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley View Post

too bad the 2nd Maryland didn't make it to the bridge also if I remember correctly the 51st PA went across first then NY.

30-09-2020 - Flag Hotfix - Released!

Hello everyone,

We've just pushed a flag specific hotfix containing a few fixes & improvements. The hotfix notes can be read below.

- Reduced the occurrence of the large flags constantly waving in front of the camera, completely obstructing the view.
    - Added new and improved dropped flag models which more correctly represents the size and look of the particular flag that got dropped.
    - Fixed the flag model of the 2nd US Regulars using the 1st US flag model.
    - Fixed the 114th Pennsylvania national flag pointing to an old material.
    - The 4th Texas now only has 1 flag available (as they also did in real life).
    - Fixed artillery shells often triggering the wrong impact effect when hitting buildings, typically seen on Dunker Church.
    - Minor level work, Drill Camp & Antietam.

- Trusty

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyJam View Post
    30-09-2020 - Flag Hotfix - Released!

- The 4th Texas now only has 1 flag available (as they also did in real life).

- Trusty
    Excuse me, but you are wrong about the 4th Texas regimental flag. It was given to the 4th at the same time as that of the 5th Texas. The only campaign in which the Flag of 4th Texas participated was the Maryland Campaign in 1862 and was returned to Texas in October after the Battle of Sharpsburg.
    We are in a game, of course, but we are also passionate about history and we perpetuate (somewhere) the memory of these men who fought for their rights, their lands .... and their flag ....
    Also, I will ask you to reconsider your decision for the flag of the 4th Texas Infantry by installing the Battleflag AND the regimental flag like the other regiments which are entitled to it.
    thank you for your understanding

For proof:
    https://acws.co.uk/archives-history-4thtexasflag

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry O'hara View Post
    Excuse me, but you are wrong about the 4th Texas regimental flag. It was given to the 4th at the same time as that of the 5th Texas. The only campaign in which the Flag of 4th Texas participated was the Maryland Campaign in 1862 and was returned to Texas in October after the Battle of Sharpsburg.
    We are in a game, of course, but we are also passionate about history and we perpetuate (somewhere) the memory of these men who fought for their rights, their lands .... and their flag ....
    Also, I will ask you to reconsider your decision for the flag of the 4th Texas Infantry by installing the Battleflag AND the regimental flag like the other regiments which are entitled to it.
    thank you for your understanding

For proof:
    https://acws.co.uk/archives-history-4thtexasflag
    Hi there!

The flag that was removed was the national one - not the regimental one.

- Trusty