Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aiming Animation

CSA Major

Quote Originally Posted by R21 View Post
    Realism translated into Games isn't a 1:1 equation.

Like you've pointed out sway is over the top, but this achieves a realistic result.
    My point is sway is realistic, zooming is not.
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion

USA Lieutenant Colonel

In reality you have depth perception and aren't looking at a flat screen.

Was discussed to death on the Squad Forums and even with their ultra realistic approach they eventually added it for the sake of practicality and Gameplay.

The way it stood, people with Optics were Godly as the Ironsights were so difficult to use effectively and I can see that trend being repeated in WOR.

CSA Lieutenant General

Was discussed to death on the Squad Forums and even with their ultra realistic approach they eventually added it for the sake of practicality and Gameplay.

The way it stood, people with Optics were Godly as the Ironsights were so difficult to use effectively and I can see that trend being repeated in WOR.
    I'm sure there are a lot of things that can be discussed in terms of "realism" versus game play. Like for instance, you say in reality you have depth perception and are not looking at a flat screen, so they should adjust for that. Well in real life when there are people shooting at you, there's a great chance you might shit your pants. How are they going to emulate a person's nerves or shitting their pants for "game play" purposes? There are far too many aspects that would affect individual people differently in stressful circumstances to try and emulate them all in-game. What about having a person drop 10 percussion caps before they get one actually set properly, due to nerves or sweaty hands, or whatever other reason's you'd have to drop a cap. You can't even really consider the accuracy of putting percussion caps on that a re-enactor would have over a real life Civil War soldier, well, because the re-enactors don't have minie balls being propelled toward them. I mean hell, for that matter, what percentage of soldiers wore glasses in the 1860's? Shall we have them make an ocular view through scratched, fogged, or blurry eye glasses? All I'm saying is that I'm sure they are doing the best they can, consider as much as possible, and keep open the possibly to discuss such things in the name of game-play.

I could see players complaining now because their in-game reload sucks because their soldier keeps dropping percussion caps! LOL But be honest, in reality, do you think its historically accurate that every time we reload in game we get the percussion cap set on the first try? You ever metal detected on a battlefield and got tired of finding percussion caps? LOL

And I do think there needs to be some god-like comparison between someone with iron sights versus a scope. You better hope you're not on the receiving end of one of the 8 people thus far that will have the J.F. Brown Target rifle! LOL
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-14-2016 at 09:05 PM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

CSA Major

Even with depth perception it is still be pretty much like it is in-game. From all the screens and vids that I've watched I don't really see a problem with the sights

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post

And I do think there needs to be some god-like comparison between someone with iron sights versus a scope. You better hope you're not on the receiving end of one of the 8 people thus far that will have the J.F. Brown Target rifle! LOL
    They've said there's going to be a non tiered equivalent of this (so presumably a scoped Rifle available for Players who didn't back at that level) but for all I know they may implement Scopes in a way that Hinder Players (Because Realizm) so for all I know there might be an outcry for them to be buffed (like they did in Verdun).

Speaking of which;

Does a decent job with iron-sights zooming.

A small amount of zoom like that is what i'm talking about and it really does help with long range shooting. Pixel hunting in Games not only isn't fun but can potentially hurt your eyes, so this is definitely something that should be added imo.
    Last edited by R21; 06-14-2016 at 10:12 PM.

CSA Major

I can assure you that fight's won't be happening at very far ranges (unless your a sharpshooter or just get off the first shot), with the way the smoke builds it will be hard to see anything even at close range, which will force the fights to be closer.

USA Lieutenant Colonel

I think we'll have to agree to disagree because I think the opposite (Given the range of the Weapons I can see a lot of Skirmish type behavior happening).

CSA Major

I think we'll have to agree to disagree because I think the opposite (Given the range of the Weapons I can see a lot of Skirmish type behavior happening).
    I agree, but once that smoke builds it will force the players in close even if they do skirmish. The weapons do have excellent range, but that only helps if you can see lol, so once the smoke builds it won't matter how far you can shoot.

Many times during the war men could barely see five feet in front of them due to the smoke. There's also accounts of regiments firing completely over or below the enemy and missing them because they couldn't see.

These battles are gonna be confusing and chaotic imo
    Last edited by Legion; 06-14-2016 at 11:25 PM.

USA Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Many times during the war men could barely see five feet in front of them due to the smoke. There's also accounts of regiments firing completely over or below the enemy and missing them because they couldn't see.

These battles are gonna be confusing and chaotic imo
    And I can't wait for it. Separate the men from the boys lol

USA Captain

Not here to be a smart ass or anything but they aren't intended to be close sir. Hinkel pretty much confirmed this even like he said melee won't be devoloped into too much detail something around 1%

If we were intended to fight close range I could imagine that we'd be switching to melee very often as it's easier than the long reload, meaning they'd need to devolope that more which takes away Hinkles statement.

If the game was suppose to be fought at close range, melee would be used a lot more simply due to it possibly being easier than reloading and then everything would be fine as the weapons would be great at that range I could imagine but if the game was required to fight at a medium range you will need the best of both worlds such as the shooting mechanics sway and/or the zooming of the iron sight needs to be worked on as it's clear we won't be able to hit anything lol! It's only in alpha and I'm only merely giving my insight on this. Devs are doing an excellent job and I hope they continue to do so.