Thread: Reloading Variations

CSA Brigadier General

Reloading Variations

It would be cool to see variations in the musket reloading animation. While they were trained to reload swiftly and orderly the soldiers weren't robots. In the fray of combat or for tedious target practice repetitions the solider's hands may have slipped or simply sequence would not be the same over and over again. Maybe after a close encounter with a cannon explosion one might drop their ramrod. These are just ideas of course but I would suggest that when a musket is reloaded each step has multiple different animations randomly chosen from in a random sequence with different groups of animations depending on the climate of the battle. For instance, A solider on the front line being fired at by multiple enemies would be hasty and more likely to slip up in the sequence and the player would witness a sequence conveying that message. The team has done an incredible job at integrating as much realism into the game as possible and in the spirit of that I think the variety in reloading would be appreciated.

You guys rock, I hope this gives you something to think about
    Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. Captain, that is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.

~Stonewall Jackson

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Would be really cool, especially if they segmented the loading procedure:

https://youtu.be/Lj8xZ0uq80Q?t=244

like you have there (where the character struggles a bit as he inserts the stripper clip) if they had this kind of thing going on at the different stages it'd help vary things up, especially if it was also related to Fouling and Morale levels.

All of that is something we want to include at some point. But the reload animations is by far the most complex animations we have in rhe game and they do take a long time to create.

CSA Lieutenant General

There's definitely been suggestions similar to this in other threads and on voice chat in the tech alpha. For example, how to emulate real life stressful situations the soldiers experienced, like perhaps if a round is fired in proximity of a players hit box, perhaps they might drop a percussion cap. Many scenarios that could lead to a segmented load/reload process or even lead to a multi-loaded firearm. Something to consider.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA Brigadier General

Going to go further in depth into this, just a idea in the variation of reloading. Well just want to say that the goal in this is to add depth in the game and create immersion into the battle. In the alpha, there are different points in the reload when the animation sound ends and a new one begins, this maybe sectioned in 4 points in the animation, biting the cartridge, ramming the ramrod, replacing the ramrod and replacing the cap (withdrawing the ramrod after putting the cartridge down the barrel could also be a 5th point in time). Perhaps the variation of reloading could work like this: without being fired upon would initiate the default reloading animation, however perhaps mashing a key in the same situation would make the character reload faster and more efficiently (as in the character will replace the ramrod perfectly through the thimble or was able to push the cartridge down the barrel faster with less pushes). However, when under fire and reloading, the character might breathe heavily and have their hands shake. This animation might be slower then the default and the character would fiddle around at each point like taking longer to push down the cartridge, or missing the thimble when replacing the ramrod. Ultimately and unfortunately, if the player mashes the key during reload while under fire, then the penalty can be dropping the cartridge, dropping the ramrod on either withdrawing it or replacing it and dropping the cap. Now back to the points, since the animations are separated into different section, one section might be under fire like biting the cartridge but the section after that the suppression is gone.

In Summary:
    4 Types of Reloading

Default: The Default time which could be the one in the alpha right now
    Default + mashing key: Reloading is quicker and efficient, look for the examples above

Reloading Under Fire

Default Under Fire: Slower then the default, character would fiddle around with each point, hands shake
    Default Under Fire + mashing key: Character would drop the cartridge, bayonet and/or cap, hands shake and is the slowest reload time

Again the reload time is sectioned to different parts, a line of men can fir upon you, making it slower for you when you are ramming your ramrod section, but once the suppression is over, the section which is replacing the ramrod would be the default reloading speed and appearance.

Benefits: This brings more depth and immersion to one part of the game. Players would wait for different queues on when to mash the key and when to not. Player who take the risk, who may not see the enemy getting ready to fire, maybe suppressed while mashing giving them the penalty. However it doesn't have to be mashing a key, it could be something else.

Drawbacks: This is only one part of the game so putting this much detail might be time consuming and unnecessary. And this part of the game is just one part out of the formations, environment, battle, etc... Their would be more depth in other parts of the game that is less time consuming.

In the end, this is just a idea I had and I was reminded of it in Genray's post who started the discussion of this topic. Apologies if I seem ignorant on how much time consuming it is to put a mechanic into a game.

USA Lieutenant Colonel

I would love to see something Mouse wheel up/Mouse wheel down controlling the ram-rod and cocking of the Hammer.

The problem with there being a risk of dropping cartridges/Caps is that no one would ever do this type of Reload and it'd just be annoying, I think the best you can expect is segmented reload with Fouling/Suppression affecting them.

CSA Lieutenant General

Quote Originally Posted by R21 View Post
    I would love to see something Mouse wheel up/Mouse wheel down controlling the ram-rod and cocking of the Hammer.

The problem with there being a risk of dropping cartridges/Caps is that no one would ever do this type of Reload and it'd just be annoying, I think the best you can expect is segmented reload with Fouling/Suppression affecting them.
    I'm sure dropping caps would be annoying. Especially annoying if you had minie balls and round shot wizzing past you and a line of guys charging with fixed bayonets! Yea, I'd say dropping caps (and craps) would be annoying, just like it probably was in real life.

I do love the idea of mouse wheel ramrod and hammer affects. It would be especially cool with a mouse wheel that has those locking positions every so often. Probably not as cool on a mouse wheel that just spins with no locking points. But I do very much like that idea.
    Last edited by dmurray6; 06-24-2016 at 03:33 AM.
    Civil War Ancestors:

USA Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by dmurray6 View Post

I do love the idea of mouse wheel ramrod and hammer affects. It would be especially cool with a mouse wheel that has those locking positions every so often. Probably not as cool on a mouse wheel that just spins with no locking points. But I do very much like that idea.
    Yeh, I know it sounds like a quick time event thing but I genuinely think it'd add stress and immediacy to the Reload procedure.

If not MWU/MWD to control it's movement, hold LMB and move the Mouse up and down to do it (if the motion matched up with the Mouse movement and it felt sufficiently 'weighty' I think this'd be a feature people would love) like I could see it being something highlighted about the Game in an Article or something.
    Last edited by R21; 06-24-2016 at 04:27 AM.

CSA Major

Did yall ever redo the ram rod animation? or do you still grab it multiple times to get it out?
    Jesse S. Crosby, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - May 6, 1864

Samuel T. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - September 2, 1862

Joseph C. McKenzie, 20th Georgia Infantry, July 15, 1861 - October 1, 1863

Henry C. McKenzie, 3rd Georgia Infantry, June 1, 1861 - January 28, 1863

Charles R. Beddingfield, 38th Alabama Infantry

Samuel L. Cowart, Cobb's Legion